Electric bicycle rules on walking path

to each his own. There is a case to be made when you are climbing 5000-6000 feet of elevation on very technical mountain trails here in the rockies. You can do a lot longer rides and enjoy the downhill features without being exhausted and crashing. It's a different ride that opens doors to new experiences. Please tell these guys how they are bunch of pussies...

Like I've said before....assisted cycling is not my idea of cycling. If people want to have an e-bike for the main purpose of downhill thrills....so be it. But it's not really cycling. If you can't get up a mountain path without using your own power....why not just ride up on a summer chair-lift or gondola? Might as well skip the entire uphill effort.

Like I've said before....assisted cycling is not my idea of cycling. If people want to have an e-bike for the main purpose of downhill thrills....so be it. But it's not really cycling. If you can't get up a mountain path without using your own power....why not just ride up on a summer chair-lift or gondola? Might as well skip the entire uphill effort.
OK-you don't like ebikes. They imply your are getting older. By your logic -don't get any exercise riding a bike up hill-take the chairlift. OK-that makes a lot of sense.

At least if you dislike e-bikes-you could put forward a cohesive argument instead of this drivel.

Last edited:
OK-you don't like ebikes. They imply your are getting older. By your logic -don't get any exercise riding a bike up hill-take the chairlift. OK-that makes a lot of sense.

At least if you dislike e-bikes-you could put forward a cohesive argument instead of this drivel.
Drivel? That's a bit harsh. What I was trying to get across was that getting power-assisted climbs on an E-bike is basically foregoing the entire original intent of a bicycle.....which is self-propulsion and physical accomplishment. I'm sorry but ANY assist from a power source while on one of these moped wanna-be's ISN'T cycling. If a person wants to be a CYCLIST....they do WITHOUT the power-assist. Otherwise you're just kidding yourself.
My opinion, like it or not.

Few years ago I came across this post on one of the bike forums. I think it bears reposting.

drivetrain_compromise.JPG

Maybe it belongs in the humor section, but I think this thread could bear some levity.

I did 28 miles (on the lowest setting) on my (peddle assist) e-bike last Saturday. You can't do that even on an e-bike if you are out of shape.
I bet you could go just as far on a regular bicycle minus all the extra weight of an e-bike.

I reluctantly break my self-imposed exile to respond to this:
assisted cycling is not my idea of cycling.
Maybe some of us don't aspire to be a "cyclist" as you define it.
Some have different needs and methods of getting from point a to point b.
Yes, people actually live their lives differently than you do. Get over it.

I'm surprised the hair-trigger censor has not locked this thread.

I reluctantly break my self-imposed exile to respond to this:

Maybe some of us don't aspire to be a "cyclist" as you define it.
Some have different needs and methods of getting from point a to point b.
Yes, people actually live their lives differently than you do. Get over it.

I'm surprised the hair-trigger censor has not locked this thread.
I have no problem with somebody using an E-bike. That's up to them. Where I take issue is the insistence that it's basically the same as self-propelled cycling and that it offers the same physical challenges. It does not.

I have no problem with somebody using an E-bike. That's up to them. Where I take issue is the insistence that it's basically the same as self-propelled cycling and that it offers the same physical challenges. It does not.
I would never argue my Sondors E-bike gets me the same exercise as my Kona Blast. However, at 70, post covid I can no longer pedal up El Trovatore Hill. I am not ready to give up a bicycle and I like to cover more distance than I can on my Kona.

My 350 watt E-bike has five assist settings and six gear settings. I use it with no assist when I can and the minimum assist as needed. Something else, when it is over 100 degrees that pedal assist can be pretty important. It has a little throttle lever that gives full power, it can be pretty handy for getting going when starting from full stop on the up hill.

...but do the riders still think they own the road and never stop at any red light or intersection? That is the real question.

I'm fine e-assist bikes, but purely electric bikes around where I am, too many people are creating dangerous situations on a multi-use trail, with excessive speeding

Back