World class walking path in a developing nation

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Always amazed by this waking path in a developing nation. I suspect this path was funded and is maintained from the billboards. The billboards do not distract from the enjoyment of the path.

The oath does not allow smoking, bikes, or dogs. The path is fenced , with fence going down to the ground, yet fence allows for full visability.

Modern and spotless latrines all along the path. Filtered water all along the path. Covered garbage cans all along the path. Outdoor wash stations all along the path. Even open shelters with trees in the middle in case of rain or a break needed from the sun.

My routine is a very slow 40 minute jog on the path,followed by a 20 minute walking cool down.
20240312_102538.jpg
20240312_102732.jpg
20240312_102757.jpg
20240312_103549.jpg
20240312_103600.jpg
20240312_103607.jpg
20240312_103637.jpg
20240312_103711.jpg
20240312_103835.jpg

If only they edged the grass. Could have been in contention for best in the world.
Here is a picture of the super hard working people maintaining the path. All work by hand, no electric or gas power tools. I've never seen them take a break. The women in the picture is well over 60 years old.
20240312_102113.jpg
20240312_102113.jpg

If they built such a path here, it would be full of kids on skateboards, panhandlers, and garbage. They could put whatever signs that those were not allowed - wouldn't matter - no one would pay attention to them, and no one would enforce them.

Looks very nice - thanks for sharing.

What does impress or amaze me about developing nations is their nice areas rival ours. 40% more dense than Manhattan, about zero crime, and the latest greatest technology that costs the same in USD there as here, only our salaries are 5x theirs. This tells me many (the wealthy) don’t work for a company, rather they work for themselves. It’s no wonder why when they come to the USA they have such an easy time gaining wealth playing by the same rules that we do.

Using myself as an example, corporate “yes” man my entire career with the material trappings of one. There won’t ever be a 911 in my driveway. 😂

Reactions: Pew
Americans don’t realize just how dirty they are and they keep their surroundings that way too. Go to Europe or Asia and everything is much cleaner and maintained, even if it’s old.

Still, most of these countries are nothing but commie systems in disguise. I would not trade the cleanliness for the rights I have in the US.

Last edited:
The lowness of the spigots in the 8th photo caught my attention.
I wondered about that also. All I could think was a place to wash feet. Maybe a Buddhist thing? A quick google search returned this:

Today's verse:

Washing their feet,

"May all beings

Fulfill the bases of subtle perceptions,
Moving as unobstructedness everywhere."

After his feet had been washed
and the dust of the road had been removed and lay in the bucket,
the Buddha said: "Rahula, drink this water, son."
And Rahula said: "No! The water is dirty therefor it cannot be drunk."

o there are many variations on this particular teaching story.

So wash your feet,
don't lie.

In Thai society and many others,
the head is considered to be clean and sacred
whereas the feet are dirty
and it's an insult to wave your feet at someone while you're sitting down,
or to use your feet to push something aside.

There are still vestiges of this
that it is disrespectful when we situations with our elders
and have our feet pointing at them.

As I said before,
many devout Buddhists feel honoured to wash the feet of monks
who are returning to the monastery after receiving alms.

Multistage water filter(s) for drinking water.....
That was something we would ask and likely was unnecessary….if water were filtered.

I mean we’d ask at the Four Seasons and Shangri La 😂

Americans don’t realize just how dirty they are and they keep their surroundings that way too. Go to Europe or Asia and everything is much cleaner and maintained, even if it’s old.

Still, most of these countries are nothing but commie systems in disguise. I would not trade the cleanliness for the rights I have in the US.
What you say…I think about Sweden 1997, and my office 2019. In 2019, our bathrooms at work became stalls that go all the way to the floor and private, have indicators of occupied and vacant.

Now I don’t get it, I witnessed at least 3 times where someone opened a stall door and someone is on the toilet. Why didn’t they lock the door?????

I was just overseas and I saw in the stalls notices saying please double lock the door for your privacy. 3rd world country….

Looks nice for such a congested area, but I imagine serenity is a stretch if that is what one is after. I think I'd be distracted by the billboards, close roads and buildings, etc.

If they built such a path here, it would be full of kids on skateboards, panhandlers, and garbage. They could put whatever signs that those were not allowed - wouldn't matter - no one would pay attention to them, and no one would enforce them.

Looks very nice - thanks for sharing.
You beat me to it! Here it would be an orgy of junkies stumbling around and tripping over each other, passed out in the middle of the path, some of them dead, within like 24hrs.

Looks nice for such a congested area, but I imagine serenity is a stretch if that is what one is after. I think I'd be distracted by the billboards, close roads and buildings, etc.
And the overhead power lines. Looks like the path was created along a high tension right-of-way. The plate in my head is humming just being near it...

I would have had the same observation that you came to. After using this walking path multiple times, the designers nailed it- it is pure peace, quiet, tranquil, and safe. I never would have guessed.

Back