Bank CD penalties; poor disclosure practices

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Several banks in my area are giving decent CD rates.
I personally don't like them, but it irks me that they don't list on their websites
what the penalty is. They should have the terms right there for investors to read.
It may just be a local thing but I'm not seeing the rules spelled out.

The only rule listed in the banner is that the cash must be new to the bank and not a transfer from one of the
accounts you have with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't like them, but it irks me that they don't list on their websites
what the penalty is. They should have the terms right there for investors to read.

The only rule listed in the banner is that the cash must be new to the bank and not a transfer from one of the
Hmmm I'd be sure to keep it under $250,000. I bet they got put on notice by the fed.

I imagine they can get into trouble over partial disclosure where a customer may argue that the terms in the add are the ONLY terms for the product. Obviously the rules are spelled out in the disclosure you're given when you open the account. Credit unions may be under different rules. I abhor credit unions with their bogus "non profit" status.

My local credit union, the penalty on a 9 month CD earning 5%, is 90 days interest.
Everything else... the penalty on CD's ranging from 12 months to 30 months is 180 days interest.

Another bank has 6 month CD's earning 4.75%, with a 90 day penalty... and 11 month CD's earning 4.65% with a 180 day penalty.

Check out Fidelity Investments, their Money Market Funds are 4.9% and 3-12 month CDs 5.5%. You can setup a CD ladder too. This all can be setup online and they have good support.

FWIW the yield curve on bonds is inverted, so I doubt the banks are going to outdo that RE CD's with the risk on long term stuff going backwards.

why do they hide the fine print and exclusions? you know why they hide the fine print. :)

personally, if you desire anything in the CD world, best bet is to find the best rates and ladder them.

Back