YouTube - I'm out...

Were people this up in arms about ads with commercials on TVs too?
I was, only paid for TV service for 2 years in my adult life before I had enough. I think I paid $40 for a year of peacock with ads, that’s fine since they don’t put 15+ minutes of ads in a 1 hour show…. Yet. Charge me MORE than that PER MONTH and 25%+ of every show is ads? Absolutely not.

The “regional sports fee” really set me off though. Not interested unless it’s motorsports, which was only NASCAR anyway, $18 a month my behind.

Google/YT obviously have the data to back up that people using adblockers has a significant effect on lost income to do something about it.
As has been mentioned previously creators get 55% of ad revenue, but to get significant $$ from that you need to be getting lots of eyeballs on your videos. I have a small youtube channel and ad revenues are in the range of $4(aus$) per 1000 views. Lately it works out to be around $100 a month.

Videos longer than 8mins are eligibly for mid roll ads and I've found the automatically set intervals are not all that intrusive, so if your watching a youtube vid (longer than 8mins) and its being bombarded with ad breaks then chances are that the creator has set it like that deliberately with those ad breaks - trying to maximise ad revenue! I've come across one channel like that previously - watched a couple of their videos of interest and that was enough to turn me off them as a creator and I watched no more of their content.

This is the primary problem but also should go directly to Google/Apple for liability.

Willful ignorance should cost them dearly

As an example any Apple “news story” in the app can direct to a 3rd party site which can slam your device into the App Store.

Worse you can’t use traditional methods to “clear” things loaded in the news app so if a bad file is dumped to your device good luck removing it via traditional means.

Both Apple and google know full well when crap is in their pipeline and they should be liable for it so they actually do something about it before 100,000 users get dumped on.

Funny just today Apple sent me a “you can’t not agree” agreement that I should return my device if I don’t accept liability for things other people post that might be force fed to me by social media
and that if I (or anyone else I see on the device) say or post anything offensive/intimidating it violates Apples TOS and I am liable and may have my account terminated.
Apple also said anything I encounter on the device may be seen by others who will then become offended and I am liable for any unknown stranger becoming offended by other people’s content I see on the device.

I can however report things I am forced to encounter that I believe are possibly illegal or offensive to Apple but likewise am still liable for other people’s content.
How gracious of Apple.

If Facebook sends something to you that is offensive or illegal you are liable not Apple (and by proxy not facebook) and Apple isn’t responsible for any content under any circumstances on any of its apps. If a 3rd party makes a post in Apples own News ap with viruses I am liable for the virus if I looked at it.

Sounds like an agreement written in China
I should post that stinker it’s wild what they threw in there, it’s implications and the fact that the way it’s written may be unenforceable as the agreement requires certain long standing legal concepts to be violated. (You can’t legally agree or follow an agreement that breaks the law)

Last edited:
You gotta wonder why we live in a universe that YouTube TV doesn’t automatically include everything the lesser “premium” does
Basically they want everyone paying for premium, but then they will start offering a tiered system, where the basic premium will start having one or two ads, and you have to pay MORE to get the version without ads. It's all a scam, I see the same basic structure with many software companies and their subscription models.

First it's free. Next it's free but there are ads. After that you can get rid of the ads but you have to pay. Once everyone utilizes that, the lowest tiers of the system will have ads and you have to "upgrade" to get rid of them. The final stage is you have to pay a bunch of money, and there are ads, but it is the only way you can utilize the "service". All while they are stealing and selling your data.

Ads are a huge turn off for me, I mean how many **** advertisements for stuff do we have to see to do anything these days? Car companies even want to start putting ads onto the "empty screen space" in car instrument clusters. If I start seeing ads pop up on my dash I think I'll just ram right into a pole. LOL

Youtube is getting really sneaky and crafty in a hurry. The Ad Blockers caught up to the popup, but now YT has found a way to integrate the ad better. Guess it's going to be a constant battle of YT and the Ad Blockers :ROFLMAO:

Basically they want everyone paying for premium, but then they will start offering a tiered system, where the basic premium will start having one or two ads, and you have to pay MORE to get the version without ads. It's all a scam, I see the same basic structure with many software companies and their subscription models.

First it's free. Next it's free but there are ads. After that you can get rid of the ads but you have to pay. Once everyone utilizes that, the lowest tiers of the system will have ads and you have to "upgrade" to get rid of them. The final stage is you have to pay a bunch of money, and there are ads, but it is the only way you can utilize the "service". All while they are stealing and selling your data.

Ads are a huge turn off for me, I mean how many **** advertisements for stuff do we have to see to do anything these days? Car companies even want to start putting ads onto the "empty screen space" in car instrument clusters. If I start seeing ads pop up on my dash I think I'll just ram right into a pole. LOL
"You have a notification! Watch this 15 seconds ad to veiw notification."

The notification is low oil pressure

I work around the adblocker check by disabling my ad blocker, opening up all the videos I want to watch, then re-enabling the ad blocker. I might have to sit through the initial ad, but the ones thereafter are blocked. YouTube appears to only be checking on page load.

Basically they want everyone paying for premium, but then they will start offering a tiered system, where the basic premium will start having one or two ads, and you have to pay MORE to get the version without ads. It's all a scam, I see the same basic structure with many software companies and their subscription

If your paying $72/month for service that goes above and beyond premium it makes little sense to pay for something you don’t really use (normal YouTube)

Just seems like a kick in the pants on an already overpriced subscription service

If your paying $72/month for service that goes above and beyond premium it makes little sense to pay for something you don’t really use (normal YouTube)

Just seems like a kick in the pants on an already overpriced subscription service
Exactly. Google should throw that in, or at least give you YouTube for $5. That was my point earlier.

You want to talk ethics?

Exactly. Google should throw that in, or at least give you YouTube for $5. That was my point earlier.

You want to talk ethics?
That was my complaint. Their answer directly from customer service is that YouTube Music is included with Premium. Ok great. I can't use that through the interface of my Tesla so it is of no use to me. On top of that I already pay for Spotify family because it can be used in that car and also works on every other device I need. I'm sick of subscription costs. I've been cancelling things every time they hit a threshold that I think is too much for what is offered.

So $14 is too much for world leading music library, that contains hundreds of more rarities than any other music service. If you use your LTE or 5G the fidelity is outstanding. I will gladly pay that for a great music selection and ad free videos A bargain compared to cable and its onslaught of ads on cable. YMMV

So $14 is too much for world leading music library, that contains hundreds of more rarities than any other music service. If you use your LTE or 5G the fidelity is outstanding. I will gladly pay that for a great music selection and ad free videos A bargain compared to cable and its onslaught of ads on cable. YMMV
And doesn't work for my application. All I wanted was ad free YouTube anyway. If they made an app that would interface with my radio then I would use it.

And doesn't work for my application. All I wanted was ad free YouTube anyway. If they made an app that would interface with my radio then I would use it.

It works on every other car with Android Auto or Car Play. Reason #11,780 (which is one more than I need) to never own a Tesla.

Last edited:
It works on every other car with Android Auto or Car Play. Reason #11,780 (which is one more than I need) to never own a Tesla.
Unfortunately everyone is running away from Android Auto and CarPlay. Either way unfortunately Spotify works on everything so I can use it with CarPlay in my VW and with the built in player on the Tesla. Technically it can still be used, but it would be through Bluetooth and won’t have full controls.

Tesla hater, that’s rare. 😂

That was my complaint. Their answer directly from customer service is that YouTube Music is included with Premium. Ok great. I can't use that through the interface of my Tesla so it is of no use to me. On top of that I already pay for Spotify family because it can be used in that car and also works on every other device I need. I'm sick of subscription costs. I've been cancelling things every time they hit a threshold that I think is too much for what is offered.
Hold up…. YouTube music doesn’t work on a Tesla?! IT WORKS ON THIS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
IMG_8731.jpg

Back