effect of chinese ownership of volvo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
It's funny that lots of people have this attitude, but I bet a lot of them have no problem using their iphone to make phone calls. The quality in China is fine, it's really up to the manufacturer to police their QC. Some can do it, some can't. Has nothing to do with where it comes from. The drywall problem was when there was a shortage and they got some low cost stuff from China.

BMW, Mercedes, Audi all have plants in China making cars.

Do I even dare to say that this attitude is somewhat racist?

It's a form of xenophobia for sure.

What about a USA-Made S60? Are you supporting the local workers and economy of the state the factory is in, or China? A Chinese company owns Volvo, after all.

Posts like these make me wonder why I come here.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112

Can't handle a difference of opinion? Bye then.

I can't think of many USA-built cars I'd want to own. The ones that are USA-built, (that I'd want to own) with one exception, aren't built by US-owned companies.

It's funny that lots of people have this attitude, but I bet a lot of them have no problem using their iphone to make phone calls. The quality in China is fine, it's really up to the manufacturer to police their QC. Some can do it, some can't. Has nothing to do with where it comes from. The drywall problem was when there was a shortage and they got some low cost stuff from China.

It's a form of xenophobia for sure.

What about a USA-Made S60? Are you supporting the local workers and economy of the state the factory is in, or China? A Chinese company owns Volvo, after all.

Is that a pro or con? It's a global economy. When the Japanese first started selling cars in the US, they had a pretty bad rep, now many feel they're better than US makes. Hyundai was also pretty bad when they first came, they're better and some say they're on par with the Japanese, but with some of the problems that still crop up I don't quite believe that yet. I believe the Chinese car makers know that they'll only get one shot and are sorta improving their QC before they try and sell in the US.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
anyone knowledgeable on this?

Go to a showroom. Theyres some of the nicest cars you can buy today, period.

Agreed. I had an XC90 rental a few years back and was very impressed especially by the interior.

Apparently, the chief of interior design for the vehicle was formerly the interior design chief from Bentley, which is where Geely nabbed him from. He's now the head of all design for Volvo.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
China will always need a western name on their products to sell them. They're not going to be the next Japan or South Korea.

That may be, but it seems that more often that not, a western name can't make a product to put their name on, and get it from China instead.

The certified used program has 7yr/100k warranty bumper to bumper and the high sticker drops of 1 year old XC90 drops to selling prices of new Toyota Highlander’s in upscale version. I suggested a friend try certified used and happy former Highlander owner who keeps cars 6 years is in glee with her XC90 T6.

Last edited:

Can't handle a difference of opinion? Bye then.

I can't think of many USA-built cars I'd want to own. The ones that are USA-built, (that I'd want to own) with one exception, aren't built by US-owned companies.

Ford comes to mind. BTW I do not want U.S. owners! I am really fine with foreign ownership, building plants here, and hiring U.S. workers. This is why I support Toyota, Honda and Subaru.

U.S. "owners" are public trading get rich scheme fools! I do not wish to work under Carl Icahn, or General Electric, and they will just flip us when the stock is right, taking a huge severance package, F' THEM!

U.S. owners has TOXIC work culture. At least with a foreign owner, you walk through a "garden" as you enter the plant, not a chain link fence and everyone talking about Unionizing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Spector
About 6 months ago I asked that question to the salesperson (combined Hyundai/Volvo dealer). Not just ownership either, some models will be built in China. We both agreed it will appear to cheapen the product line, some people (like myself) will not purchase a vehicle made in Chine, same for tires. In short, IMO it will result in fewer sales once the general public knows that it is Chinese owned and some models actually built there. Cadillac and Buick are also building some models in China so one has to look at the country of assembly when buying new.

As a country China owns too much of America, sending profits from Volvo back to them is not something I wish to do

I think as the US faces off against China and manufacturing returns to the US, there are going to be options in regards to COO and most people will choose to support the US over China. No one likes doing business with them.

China will always need a western name on their products to sell them. They're not going to be the next Japan or South Korea.

Priced less than others, the Chinese models coming will sell good.

Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, and now Volvo are the big factories in the US that come to mind.

The only US-Made car produced by a US-owned company that I'd like to own is the Camaro.

I'd buy that if it were not the case that even the Chinese prefer non-Chinese products in many cases.

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
I won't buy any autos from a China owned company. Way too many defects in other things they send over here. Some are even hazardous to your health. (e.g.: drywall) I'm boycotting Buick since they have chosen to manufacture their new crossover in China instead of the USA. What Cadillac is made in China?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: ls973800
I doubt that most buyers are aware of who owns the company, or where the vehicle is built. My neighbor recently got a Buick Envision for himself. His wife has a Buick Encore. I mentioned to him that now he has a Chinese built Buick sitting next to a Korean built Buick.

He nor his wife had any idea that their Buick's were not US manufactured!

Interesting but you see, they couldn’t tell a difference.

That's because they did not look. I posted a review on that Chinese built Buick Envision.

It was nearly new and already the crossmember in the engine bay was severely rusting at the welds. It drove poorly and cost way too much.

It's getting harder and harder to play this game.

We have "US" cars that are made in Mexico.. Volvo will soon be manufacturing cars in the US.

I don't dislike the brand, but they seem pricey for what you get.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I'd buy that if it were not the case that even the Chinese prefer non-Chinese products in many cases.

I won't buy any autos from a China owned company. Way too many defects in other things they send over here. Some are even hazardous to your health. (e.g.: drywall) I'm boycotting Buick since they have chosen to manufacture their new crossover in China instead of the USA. What Cadillac is made in China?

Not sure I follow you there. Even Americans prefer non American cars as those outsell domestic now and have for years. On the other hand, iPhones sell pretty well in China and technically, those are all made by China although owned by an American company.

The problem is basically QC and assuring the quality checks are there. They will cheat if they think they can get away with it or if there's too much pricing pressure, you get sub par goods. The name brands have to protect their brand so can't go too cheap like no name products. That would be true in any market. It's just that lots of good come from China so it seems that it's a China problem when it's really a supply chain QC problem.

Someone suggested it was racist or xenophobic to prefer non-Chinese goods.

Yet the Chinese, in many cases, prefer non-Chinese goods. So does that mean the Chinese are racist or xenophobic against the Chinese?

It is possible to prefer goods for reasons other than racism or xenophobia...

Not sure I follow you there. Even Americans prefer non American cars as those outsell domestic now and have for years. On the other hand, iPhones sell pretty well in China and technically, those are all made by China although owned by an American company.

The problem is basically QC and assuring the quality checks are there. They will cheat if they think they can get away with it or if there's too much pricing pressure, you get sub par goods. The name brands have to protect their brand so can't go too cheap like no name products. That would be true in any market. It's just that lots of good come from China so it seems that it's a China problem when it's really a supply chain QC problem.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Don't expect longevity.

We're talking about Geely-owned Volvo, not Fors-owned Volvo.

Is there a difference?
21.gif

I would not even consider buying a Volvo today. Not a chance, and my very first new car was a 1982 Volvo DL (great car BTW).

But nor would I buy a Chinese made Buick or whatever.

I buy New Balance shoes just because they are mostly US made (and they tell you what's not). I make a deliberate effort not to buy Chinese (although I do have too many Chinese made goods to my liking, things like my iPhone and Mac, my fricken' household door handles, etc.).

It's so simple minded how that is labeled "racist" by some (e.g. Wolf359). So typical. Race has absolutely nothing to do with it, but their form of government does.

Scott

Truth. My company is dealing with some QC issues with the company that we are working with....granted they are starting to improve...

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

It's so simple minded how that is labeled "racist" by some (e.g. Wolf359). So typical. Race has absolutely nothing to do with it, but their form of government does.

Scott

I questioned whether it was racist or not.

Racism: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior

It certainly sounds like some of the above. It sounds like there's some prejudice going on because a Chinese company owns it. Never mind that probably nothing really changed in terms of manufacturing, same plants and people in various countries, many probably not even Chinese.

I questioned whether it was racist or not.

Racism: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior

It certainly sounds like some of the above. It sounds like there's some prejudice going on because a Chinese company owns it. Never mind that probably nothing really changed in terms of manufacturing, same plants and people in various countries, many probably not even Chinese.

Exactly. Next time someone says that they won't buy product xxx "because it's made in China," ask them why and watch them closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back