J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

I know someone that has a newer Range Rover - 2018 I think - and it has been flawless.

I wonder if there issues are mainly with the discovery, or he was just lucky?
I've had three since new, '12 through a '20, and they have been mostly great. Litte stuff here or there, but nothing critical or unusual for a complex new car. Oddly they all have had one quirk; every few months the displays switch to metric and occasionally another language...but touching any screen resets it...cars way of telling me I need to travel more. But, I don't have any false assumptions of these being Honda/Toyota, and I don't care that they are not.

I have owned four VWs in the past 13 years and only went in for two warranty issues...a back window would power down on its own (fixed by the dealer in several minutes) and a dipstick tube that came loose from the engine block and leaked oil. Took an overnight stay to be fixed. Other than that, only routine maintenance. Tires, oil and filter changes, trans fluid changes. I have always been EXTREMELY pleased with my VWs. Excellent performance, no real issues, great dealers and service departments. My next vehicle will be a VW, hands down.

What’s the definition of “problem”? If a head unit goes out due to a bad fuse on one car, and a transmission dies on another, are those both treated as 1 “problem”?

What’s the definition of “problem”? If a head unit goes out due to a bad fuse on one car, and a transmission dies on another, are those both treated as 1 “problem”?
Sorry, wrong study.

Methodology is here:

From a cursory look, it appears if your battery in your FOB needs replacing, thats more or less the same as a transmission failure. They don't appear to be weighted. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Sorry, wrong study.

Methodology is here:

From a cursory look, it appears if your battery in your FOB needs replacing, thats more or less the same as a transmission failure. They don't appear to be weighted. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks, yes, I had just found that press release as well. Interesting. It appears like the text written in this article actually tells a more coherent story than the graph. Highlights:

• Infotainment systems continue to be most problematic: The infotainment category continues to be the most problematic with an average of 49.9 PP100—almost twice as many problems as the next-highest category, which is exterior. Six of the top 10 problem areas in the study are infotainment-related, including built-in voice recognition (7.2 PP100); Android Auto/Apple CarPlay connectivity (5.5 PP100); built-in Bluetooth system connectivity (4.0 PP100); touchscreen/display screen difficult to use (4.0 PP100); not enough power plugs/USB ports (3.8 PP100); and navigation system inaccurate/outdated map (3.3 PP100). “IQS and VDS data are telling us that if the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay connectivity trend continues, this area could take over the least-coveted top spot for problems in long-term durability,” Hanley said.
  • Technology improves appeal for parts that seem outdated: Owners’ relationships with their vehicles goes beyond wear and tear on parts; it also includes their expectations of how up to date the technology remains over time. For example, satisfaction scores for vehicle condition improve when vehicles receive over-the-air software updates to infotainment systems that are perceived to not be meeting today’s standards.
  • Reduction in component replacement: Nearly two-thirds (63%) of vehicles required fewer component replacements in the past 12 months (excluding wear items), including key fob/key fob battery; brake rotors; headlight components/bulbs; and other exterior lights/bulbs, than in the 2022 study.
  • Tie for the most dependable model: The Toyota C-HR and Lexus RX are the highest-ranked models in the study, each with 111 PP100. Both models show improvement in eight of the nine problem categories from a year ago.
  • Biggest problem solvers: The top three brands with the greatest improvement in the number of problems are Ram (77 PP100 improvement), Volvo(41 PP100 improvement) and Nissan (35 PP100 improvement).
  • Tesla officially included for the first time: Tesla is included in the industry VDS calculation this year for the first time, with a score of 242 PP100. However, because Tesla does not allow J.D. Power access to owner information in the states where that permission is required by law, Tesla vehicles remain ineligible for awards.

Highest-Ranked Brands

Lexus ranks highest overall in vehicle dependability, with a score of 133 PP100. Other premium brands ranking high for vehicle dependability include Genesis(144 PP100), Cadillac (173 PP100) and BMW (184 PP100).

Kia (152 PP100) ranks highest in the mass market segment for a third consecutive year, followed by Buick (159 PP100), Chevrolet (162 PP100), Mitsubishi (167 PP100) and Toyota (168 PP100).

The parent corporation receiving the most model-level awards is Toyota Motor Corporation with six, which includes the Lexus NX, Lexus RX, Toyota C-HR, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Sienna and Toyota Tacoma. BMW AG and General Motors Company each receive four segment awards—BMW AG for the BMW 4 Series, BMW X2, BMW X5 and MINI Cooper, and General Motors Company for the Chevrolet Blazer, Chevrolet Silverado HD, Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Sierra. Hyundai Motor Group receives three segment awards for the Kia Forte, Kia Optima and Kia Sportage.

Tie for the most dependable model are two Toyota's. Not that I care but they in general have the most antiquated infotainment in the business. Given half the issues are attributed to that, no wonder there on top. I will start a car company, install a FM radio, and skyrocket to the top of this report!

"Infotainment systems continue to be most problematic:"

Tie for the most dependable model are two Toyota's. Not that I care but they in general have the most antiquated infotainment in the business. Given half the issues are attributed to that, no wonder there on top. I will start a car company, install a FM radio, and skyrocket to the top of this report!

my ideal infotainment system would be a single DIN slot....

One of the reasons BMW introduced the BMW Genius position (my old job) was to score better on these kinds of surveys. Often a customer didn’t know how something worked so the customer would report it as a problem. I personally had a client tell me her HUD was not working- but as it turned out her car wasn’t equipped with an HUD.

It's good to see that they also recognize manufacturers that have improved...

• Biggest problem solvers: The top three brands with the greatest improvement in the number of problems are Ram (77 PP100 improvement), Volvo (41 PP100 improvement) and Nissan (35 PP100 improvement).

View attachment 195274

The 2023 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 30,062 original owners of 2020 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded from August through November 2022.

To learn more about the U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study, visit https://www.jdpower.com/business/automotive/us-vehicle-dependability-study.
They pay for their place. Look at the placement of Chevrolet and GMC. Same vehicles, different names. Kia…laughing out loud.

im the complete opposite, give me a double din slot, and make infotainment system modular. These days most infotainement systems are tied in with hvac, and upgrading to a new unit is a no go.
You are right. Upgrading can be done-but all the wiring harnesses, manual disassembly of the dash board, black boxes one needs to keep the steering wheel controls, and the new head unit itself makes it cost prohibitive-IMHO.

im the complete opposite, give me a double din slot, and make infotainment system modular. These days most infotainement systems are tied in with hvac, and upgrading to a new unit is a no go.
There are some really nice double-din aftermarket car play setups out there. I thought about putting one in my Jeep, but the reality is I don't need one. I commute 8 miles to work, and my single din Sony with bluetooth is really all I need to listen to music and podcasts, plus I have a phone mount to use maps while being able to plug in my phone for charging. Same with my car. Plus most of the time when dailying my Jeep it has no doors or roof, and a double-din setup will only attract negative attention while it is parked.

There are some really nice double-din aftermarket car play setups out there. I thought about putting one in my Jeep, but the reality is I don't need one. I commute 8 miles to work, and my single din Sony with bluetooth is really all I need to listen to music and podcasts, plus I have a phone mount to use maps while being able to plug in my phone for charging. Same with my car. Plus most of the time when dailying my Jeep it has no doors or roof, and a double-din setup will only attract negative attention while it is parked.
Try toyotas, terrible aftermarket support. Usually piggback options for the most part from sellers from the unknown

All I want is an FM radio.
Heat
AC
Comfortable seats

Nothing else I need.

All I want is an FM radio.
Heat
AC
Comfortable seats

Nothing else I need.
I used to work with a guy that had no AC and no radio in his car. He suffered in the heat.

When I was a kid, my father's Rambler had AM radio only. No FM and no AC. I don't recall the seats being all that comfortable, either.

Nowadays my next car is going to have a heated steering wheel. I never knew how nice it is. My wife's RAV4 has it and it's wonderful.

I used to work with a guy that had no AC and no radio in his car. He suffered in the heat.

When I was a kid, my father's Rambler had AM radio only. No FM and no AC. I don't recall the seats being all that comfortable, either.

Nowadays my next car is going to have a heated steering wheel. I never knew how nice it is. My wife's RAV4 has it and it's wonderful.
That's the only thing I miss on the C43.

Back