Educate me on BMW oil specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pretty good knowledge of the MB oil spec requirements, but I just bought a 2009 BMW X5 30i, and was wondering a few things about the oil requirements for a BMW.

1. I think this engine needs LL-01 approval oil, 5W-30. But, can you use LL-04 in an engine that was spec'd for LL-01?

2. Is 0W-40 or 5W-40 oil meeting LL-01 OK? What problems could it cause?

3. What is your favorite oil for BMW, if cost/availability not critical?

4. Mobil 1 website doesn't even suggest an oil for this vehicle. My understanding is that they changed their formula. Any reason to be scared of M1 Euro 0W-40? I ask because I am supposed to get a free OC from the dealer where I bought it, and they use M1.

Thanks in advance for any help for a Bimmer newbie.

BTW, after a week, really loving it!

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
1. I think this engine needs LL-01 approval oil, 5W-30. But, can you use LL-04 in an engine that was spec'd for LL-01?

LL-04 is mainly for diesels with sensitive emissions equiment. BMW says it's okay for gassers that spec LL-01 in Europe, but not in the US -- something about their fuel vs. ours.

No problems whatsoever. That's part of the beauty of an OE approval. :]

Not sure. But I'd probably scan the list of approved oils for ones that carry other tough specs (e.g. MB 229.5, Porsche A40) in addition to LL-01. Example: https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/oils-lubricants/8100-x-max-0w40

Mobil 1 0w-40 used to be the prime pick because it met those criteria and was easily and cheaply available. It dropped LL-01 recently, though.
frown.gif

4. Mobil 1 website doesn't even suggest an oil for this vehicle. My understanding is that they changed their formula. Any reason to be scared of M1 Euro 0W-40? I ask because I am supposed to get a free OC from the dealer where I bought it, and they use M1.

Ask them what they'll use. They should be able and willing to give you a straightforward answer.

If they tell you they're using Mobil 1 0w-40, they need to prove they're using old stock of the LL-01 approved version. If they don't, you should be able to make them order BMW-branded oil. And if they won't do that, or give you any trouble, you probably don't want their free oil change.
wink.gif

Here's a short list of LL-01 oils that have ACEA A3/B4 approval:

Liqui Moly Special Tec LL 5W-30 (ECS Tuning has it for a great price)
Motul 8100 X-Max 0W-40
Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 (check out the 5L jug on Amazon Prime)
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 ($7/qt for online order at Walmart, and the Euro doesn't qualify for the $2/qt rebate)
Castrol Edge European Formula 0W-30 and 0W-40 (Advance Auto Parts / Carquest has 0W-30 for $5.50/qt, and both Amazon and Walmart have 0W-40 for $26/5qt jug)
Motorex has a few

I have a pretty good knowledge of the MB oil spec requirements, but I just bought a 2009 BMW X5 30i, and was wondering a few things about the oil requirements for a BMW.

Thanks in advance for any help for a Bimmer newbie.

BTW, after a week, really loving it!

Castrol Edge 0W40 and that is it.
3.0 that you have in X5 was designed around heavier oils, W40 mostly. You can use 0/5W30 that meets LL-01, or 0/5W40 that meets LL-01.
Whatever you decide make sure it meets LL-01.
Probably best of the shelf oil for BMW that meets LL-01 is Castrol 0W40 in Wal MArt for $25-26 for 5qt. 0W30 is same base stock, but bit more expensive.
LL-04 is in the U.S. used in diesels. Reason why you should not use in that BMW is sulfur level in the U.S. gas and depletion of low starting TBN in LL-04.
Do not complicate this issue. Best oil you can get right now LL-01 is Castrol 0W40.
Motul is OK, nothing special. Liqui Moly is OK, step below Motul, Castrol and Pennzoil.
Mobil1 as other mentioned dropped LL-01.
As for free oil change and Mobil1 , I would be careful what else they do wrong.

OP, I own two BMWs of the LL-01 requirement. Use Castrol Edge 0W-30 or 0W-40. You need the versions that are made in Germany and/or Belgium. I alternate between them based on season.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
OP, I own two BMWs of the LL-01 requirement. Use Castrol Edge 0W-30 or 0W-40. You need the versions that are made in Germany and/or Belgium. I alternate between them based on season.

Scott

Both are now BC.

Originally Posted By: MateoTorgy
Here's a short list of LL-01 oils that have ACEA A3/B4 approval:

In order to have a BMW LL-01 approval you have to have ACEA A3/B4 first. The BMW spec is effectively ACEA A3/B4 + some BMW-specific additional requirements.

I used to run the LL-01 Mobil 1 0w-40oil, I am still running the Mobil 1 0w-40 FS.
I also used the Castrol 0w-30.
When Mobil changed the 0w-40 formulation my guess is it has not been tested and certified by BMW yet.
Maybe they will not have it certified as LL-01 since there are now LL-04, LL-12 and LL-14+ BMW Specs.

Also as far as LL-04 spec for gasoline use in the USA, that may become ok with the decrease in sulfur in US gasoline as of 1/1/2017.
The sulfur limit in the US for gasoline is now 10 ppm, before this year it was 80 ppm.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
I used to run the LL-01 Mobil 1 0w-40oil, I am still running the Mobil 1 0w-40 FS.
I also used the Castrol 0w-30.
When Mobil changed the 0w-40 formulation my guess is it has not been tested and certified by BMW yet.
Maybe they will not have it certified as LL-01 since there are now LL-04, LL-12 and LL-14+ BMW Specs.

Also as far as LL-04 spec for gasoline use in the USA, that may become ok with the decrease in sulfur in US gasoline as of 1/1/2017.
The sulfur limit in the US for gasoline is now 10 ppm, before this year it was 80 ppm.
~

You may need to watch as there usually is a transition period before you can go down to 10ppm from 80ppm.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Castrol Edge seems to be the preferred oil for modern gas bimmers, probably in 0W-40 form.

0W30 and 0W40
That POS 5W40 that is available in the U.S. I would not touch with remote control.

Last edited:
Yep LL-01 is the correct spec for your X5. Be sure to have some $$$ set to the side for repairs on that car. Ask me how I know
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Yep LL-01 is the correct spec for your X5. Be sure to have some $$$ set to the side for repairs on that car. Ask me how I know
smile.gif

Yeah but you have 4.8i
smile.gif

You should let BMW know that your dealership is still using Mobil 1.

Bought it used at a Chevy dealer. That is why I am concerned.
frown.gif

Their sticker says they use M1. There is no M1 with LL-01. And I worry about what filter they will use.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
smile.gif

Yeah but you have 4.8i
smile.gif

Very true. N62 and N63 are probably the worst engines BMW has ever produced, from a reliability/longevity standpoint. It sounds mean and goes fast though! I spent 8 hours a couple weeks ago replacing a $5 gasket (oil thermostat).

Last edited:
You should let BMW know that your dealership is still using Mobil 1.

Bought it used at a Chevy dealer. That is why I am concerned.
frown.gif

Their sticker says they use M1.

For all you know, they may not even be using M1 0w-40 specifically. A lot of shops/dealers just use M1 5w-30, because that seems to be the most common grade that covers a lot of applications, unfortunately not yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back