Eco, normal, sport modes; difference? Does it matter?

VW GTI here with DSG transmission. The sport mode will use more fuel because the RPM shift points are all higher. I use Sport for autocrossing; just put it in S, turn off the traction control and use launch control: floor the accelator pedal, revs to 3500 and takes off when I take my foot off the brake. Around town I either put in in D or use the paddle shifters near the stearing wheel to shift.

The C43 has an Individual mode which lets you select which settings you prefer. Right now I'm preparing for a visit to the local 1/8 mile strip so everything is as to Sport+ except for the suspension to maximize weight transfer.

Snow mode relaxes my 2021 Escalade's twitchy throttle and shifting. Wish it had an eco mode though, don't know why it doesn't include it.
I don’t think anyone with an Escalade cares about Eco modes. I’m not being negative, I’d love an Escalade, just pointing that out…

[QUOTE="I

How Honda’s ECON Button Works​

If you’ve never used the Honda ECON mode, you may be wondering: “What does the ECON button do?” The Honda Econ button saves you money on gas when engaged by changing the settings on a variety of different systems, including:

• Throttle – Throttle response is changed at highway speeds to help reduce acceleration. If you’re a race-minded driver around Seattle, you’ll likely leave the Econ button disengaged.
  • Transmission – The gear shifts in the transmission are recalibrated to save money at the pump by shifting at lower RPMs.
  • Cruise Control – When cruise control is engaged, the vehicle will be less likely to downshift in order to maintain its speed. This could lead to slight speed variation on hills, but it will save money on gas.
  • Air Conditioning – It may take a bit more time to cool off the car, but it’s unlikely you’ll encounter a sweltering summer in Seattle. With the Econ button engaged, the air conditioner compressor will turn on and off more often, noticeably improving fuel economy.

With that said, on our Odyssey and our CR-V, I have not noticed a measurable difference betwixt Eco and regular when using it. I generally don't use Eco because of this.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly right. With my Ridgeline, over 45 mph I open my rear window and my sunroof and that creates good airflow without the air "buffering" with the windows down. Even in 85 to 90f in northern Ohio that's ok. In town..
I close them and use AC. Eco mode does nothing for me but engage VCM. In a hilly environment I don't use Cruise Control as it is either downshifts or upshifts. I drive it with my foot. Crazy I know...😂

I never use it, but IIRC my F150 starts the truck in 2nd gear from a stop in Snow mode. Not really sure, doesn’t really matter; normal mode with the 5 Star Tuning not only adds a bunch of torque but also revises the skip-shift programming. It’s fairly easy to move with or slightly ahead of traffic without exceeding 3k RPM.

Eco turns it down so bad that it’s limited to like 2psi of boost until greater than 40% throttle or 3500rpm. It’s so aggressive at killing power that you actually work the engine harder, and I’ve NEVER seen any economy improvement with it. In fact, because it holds the lower gears longer and then leads to low throttle openings, Sport mode actually does better in the city!!

I don’t think anyone with an Escalade cares about Eco modes. I’m not being negative, I’d love an Escalade, just pointing that out…
True but it's a nice have. Would like something that detunes the truck to make it slower responding so the pedal and shifts aren't so touchy while being more efficient as snow mode almost has a bit of tow and haul programing. It's bad enough in regular mode. In sport mode it's worse.

It changes the pedal mapping on throttle input on our Tiguan beyond shift points and steering. Off-road mode it disables the stability control on our Tiguan. In snow mode a nicety is it starts the car very easy in 2nd gear instead of 1st so no slippage.

I haven't noticed any real fuel economy difference at highway speeds depending on the mode I put my VW in, but with adaptive cruise if I leave it in sport it's very aggressive with acceleration to the level that it gets a bit tiring when you're not in the mood for it. I do find it interesting that it happens that way. Normal is best for actual driving. Comfort is lazy while Eco is like watching paint dry. I'm sure the slower modes might save fuel, but the situation where I let it get to the point where speeds drop aggressively before I change lanes is rare so I doubt it makes a measurable difference.

[QUOTE="I

How Honda’s ECON Button Works​

If you’ve never used the Honda ECON mode, you may be wondering: “What does the ECON button do?” The Honda Econ button saves you money on gas when engaged by changing the settings on a variety of different systems, including:

• Throttle – Throttle response is changed at highway speeds to help reduce acceleration. If you’re a race-minded driver around Seattle, you’ll likely leave the Econ button disengaged.
  • Transmission – The gear shifts in the transmission are recalibrated to save money at the pump by shifting at lower RPMs.
  • Cruise Control – When cruise control is engaged, the vehicle will be less likely to downshift in order to maintain its speed. This could lead to slight speed variation on hills, but it will save money on gas.
  • Air Conditioning – It may take a bit more time to cool off the car, but it’s unlikely you’ll encounter a sweltering summer in Seattle. With the Econ button engaged, the air conditioner compressor will turn on and off more often, noticeably improving fuel economy.

With that said, on our Odyssey and our CR-V, I have not noticed a measurable difference betwixt Eco and regular when using it. I generally don't use Eco because of this.
[/QUOTE]
I have noticed a few more MPG on the highway in ECON setting....but on real hot and humid days the AC in ECON mode is not as cold...

The Econ button in my 2014 Chrysler Town and Country does nothing for fuel economy, though it does hold gears longer before a downshift.

What it does do is throw the transmission into a tizzy that makes me think it’s about to fail. Anytime I feel that I look down and see my wife accidentally bumped the Econ button, turning it on.

It does absolutely nothing in my Rogue other than turn on a screen that is colored green and provides guidance for driving more economically. Sport mode in the Rogue???? Nothing changes with that button. It’s a sloth no matter how you drive it.

I use the Sports mode on the CX5 for going up some of the long and winding hills we have around here. It keeps the transmission at a lower gear and holds it there.

"ECO" mode in my 3rd-generation Prius changes accelerator pedal mapping. Small changes in accelerator position have less effect than in the (unnamed) default mode during the first part of pedal travel. In other words, depressing the pedal to any point in its travel has exactly the same effect on the drivetrain as depressing the pedal a lesser amount in default mode. "POWER" mode has the opposite effect. Actual power output and fuel consumption are unaffected by those settings, IF the driver adjusts pedal travel accordingly. So, those modes are mostly a gimmick.

"ECO" also affects air conditioning, by limiting maximum available cooling (which is irrelevant to me), and by selecting a higher proportion of recirculated intake air.

I favor "ECO" in hot weather, but don't care whether it's in "ECO" or default mode otherwise.

Eco mode is a gimmick and might help if you have a lead foot (unless it messes with the a/c) sport mode is fun in the mountains. I always just left it in normal unless I need more power, and sport mode changes the shift points to give more power.

The Econ button in my 2014 Chrysler Town and Country does nothing for fuel economy, though it does hold gears longer before a downshift.

What it does do is throw the transmission into a tizzy that makes me think it’s about to fail. Anytime I feel that I look down and see my wife accidentally bumped the Econ button, turning it on.

It does absolutely nothing in my Rogue other than turn on a screen that is colored green and provides guidance for driving more economically. Sport mode in the Rogue???? Nothing changes with that button. It’s a sloth no matter how you drive it.
I always put my grandma's '14 Grand Caravan in Eco mode, it was too aggressive in normal mode. Merge onto the freeway like a normal person, everything is fine. Then you need just a little more speed so you give it a little throttle, need a little more than that and then DOWNSHIFT from 6th-3rd and it would take off like a racecar.

My 2018 Genesis has good eco, normal, and sport modes. Some cars it doesn't change much but it really changes the performance on this one. 75% of the time I have it in eco mode to settle it down.

Eco mode is not going to do more than your right foot. It just dumbs down throttle response and may alter shift points, that’s about it. You can do the same by adjusting your driving style.

What would really be cool is having different fuel maps, and in turbo engines, different boost levels that would actually reduce the HP output.

Say you have a 250hp engine and with eco mode you get 200hp. This would make a noticeable difference in fuel economy.

Last edited:
Many newer vehicles seem to have these different modes to select (For example, 2021 Toyota RAV4). What does it do? I assume change shift points a bit; anything else? Is there any significant difference between them in terms of mileage, performance, drivetrain abuse, etc.?
Those 3 modes are rumored to adjust steering response, at least on some vehicles. Their main purpose is presented as a way to make the car more economical or more fun. They do by computer adjustment what you can do with your right foot. Your gas pedal inputs from zero to 100%, foot off the pedal to pedal mashed to the floor. In all 3 modes foot off is zero and mashed on the floor is 100%. In normal mode half way to the floor is 50%. In eco mode half way to the floor is 30%. In sport mode half way to the floor is 70%.

I made those up but they show how it works. So just ignore everything and drive and you are in normal, your normal, which may or may not be anything but. Pay attention and stay in the top half of the pedal and you are driving in eco. Press hard to the bottom half and you are driving in sport. Change whenever you like instantly and without having to look for a button and cycle through choices. Don't know why the image rotates when attached. throttle maps.jpg

Yea, sport mode on my '16 CX-5 is almost comical. Holding 3000 RPM in city driving speeds. It is a lot of fun, but it's not something that's meant to be left on I think. It's obnoxious for a compact crossover.

Back