Early Oil Change on New VW EA888?

Our new Atlas currently has about 600 miles on the Factory Fill.

Im planning on 5k OCI’s with VW/Audi dealer 508/509 0w20. I was thinking of doing the first one at 5K as well.

Any benefit to doing an early dump at 1500-2k and then again at 5k, and continuing on 5K after that? What do most of you do on your new German cars?

On our 23 Camry I just changed it at 5k the first time rather than an early change. I know I’ve heard Honda/Toyota generally don’t recommend early changes.

I’m sure either way is splitting hairs, and waiting until 5K is probably perfectly fine. I’m mostly curious on what others are doing on their new VW/Audi vehicles.

Happy Easter all!

All ICE benefit from an early oil change. I use to do the very first at ~1000 miles.
No manufacturing happens to be clinically clean, it won't ever be. Moreover, any
run-in process will always produce some amount of metallic particles and the very
most of them use to occur during the very first 1000 miles.

Our new Atlas currently has about 600 miles on the Factory Fill.

Im planning on 5k OCI’s with VW/Audi dealer 508/509 0w20. I was thinking of doing the first one at 5K as well.

Any benefit to doing an early dump at 1500-2k and then again at 5k, and continuing on 5K after that? What do most of you do on your new German cars?

On our 23 Camry I just changed it at 5k the first time rather than an early change. I know I’ve heard Honda/Toyota generally don’t recommend early changes.

I’m sure either way is splitting hairs, and waiting until 5K is probably perfectly fine. I’m mostly curious on what others are doing on their new VW/Audi vehicles.

Happy Easter all!
I changed mine around 750 miles ('24 Atlas). I agree - peace of mind is priceless, especially if you are planning to keep the car for a long time.

I plan to change every 10000 km (6200 miles) going forward. It's a little bit more than the "unofficially recommended" 5k mile OCI for VWs, but 10000 km is easier to remember and we don't do short-tripping regularly. 508.00 0w20 can easily handle that.

I always change my oil early.

I always point early OCI naysayers to this post on the Toyota RAV4 forum: https://www.rav4world.com/threads/break-in-oil-change-w-pics.317167/
We always point out that it is 1 person in 100,000. Those other 99,999 will never do that and the car will run just as well, for just as long.

It is a feel-good measure only with no proof that is actually qualifiable as to the benefits. Nothing saying it is inherently wrong but definitely nothing to say it is right.

I'd say dump it at 1k then go to 5k. No one here can tell you what is in that break in oil short of an UOA & even that is limited. Does the manual suggest early change?

I have a 2024 GLI and changed mine around 900 miles. I bought the VW 508 oil, filter and drain plug at the dealer. I bought a drain plug tool online. I once owned a 2013 GTI I bought new which is now my brothers work car since he doesn’t want to drive his Acura to work being a WM pharmacy manager. I changed the oil on that car early and last I heard it has over 190k on it. The GTI hasn’t had any engine issues and still has the original turbo. The oil goes to the halfway mark between add and full around the 4K mark he says as it did for me when I owned it.

Drop the oil from the sump drain, not the vacuum method from the dipstick. If you are doing it, do it right. New filter and magnetic drain plug. Inspect the original filter and if it shows an inordinate amount of metal, do another short interval oil change. If not, go to your preferred interval. If it was mine I would maybe opt for 0W30 504 but only after the warranty period or maybe you can get some of the UV dye and fool the dealership. Probably not worth the effort but 0W20 isn't my preferred viscosity for real life driving, especially in hot climates.

Last edited:
Up until about the 80's, most euro car makers suggested the first oil change at 1,000 miles since most of the wear happens then as the microscopic high points on the sliding surfaces wear off and shed into the oil. To give an impression of low maintenance, they stopped recommending that, yet the engines are still made of the same steel, aluminum and bearing materials as they were back then. Will it make a difference in engine life? Who knows, but no engine wore out or broke from too frequent oil changes.

All ICE benefit from an early oil change. I use to do the very first at ~1000 miles.
No manufacturing happens to be clinically clean, it won't ever be. Moreover, any
run-in process will always produce some amount of metallic particles and the very
most of them use to occur during the very first 1000 miles.
This is the correct answer in both regards, reference former lead manufacturing engineer and I managed parts washers for engine components. Unless you plan to sell the car at 40k miles.

If you are doing it, do it right. New filter and magnetic drain plug. Inspect the original filter and if it shows an inordinate amount of metal, do another short interval oil change. If not, go to your preferred interval.

Fully agree. I do the same including using magnetic plugs.
Btw, don't miss to swap your transmission fluid . . . .

If it was mine I would maybe opt for 0W30 504 but only after the warranty period or maybe you can get some of the UV dye and fool the dealership.

Mobil 1 ESP C40 GT 0W-40 comes with the same dye, as well with
a dual-digit number ppm of Zr - ideal to mimic VW 508 00 . . . .

Last edited:
Early OCIs ~1K on everything new I've driven after the obligatory DILYSI (Drive It Like You Stole It) break-in protocol I do. Never had any issues and some cars were well over 250K when I sold/traded them. And still drove extremely well with nearly zero oil consumption. I say do it.

Back