Dumb tire shops

I take my wheels off at home, throw them in the trunk, and so the tire guys only touch the rim and tire. I also take the center caps out of the rims because they'll probably bash them out when they go to balance the tires.

Last week, I had a new tire put on. The guy who installed them definitely just used his impact and called it a day. The lug nuts were not only installed backwards, but 2 studs broke off of course. So today I called the shop, and had it towed to said shop. They are going to fix, but said the tow is on me because I could have driven it with 2 studs broke off. What a load of crap. My lesson here is ALWAYS check before leaving the shop, and in emergency situations , it is perfectly fine to drive with 2 studs missing.
Jhemiway23 said:
a local Indy actually just a mile down the road from me.

Honestly if the 1 mile drive was not heavy traffic, you might have been OK to drive it back to them, at a slow speed; check the remaining three nuts are tight before leaving.

However, the "best" (a BITOG fav word) solution would have been to call them about the issue first, then ask them what course of action to take; put the onus on them:
- If they tell you "drive it back here", then you get an agreement BEFORE you leave your home that any subsequent damage is still on them, because they instructed you to drive it.
- Or, if they balk at that commitment, then you get them to agree to paying for the tow.
- If they refuse both, then tell them you will seek restitution in small claims court for the tow costs (which could still be an option for you even now)

I would have driven it there. You can get more damage from the tow and they never pay.

Back