Mechanic couldn't get brake rotor off?

Jeep WK front brake job.jpg

got these off with a combo of soaking with 3 different rust solvents (Kroil, Freeze off and home brew of acetone & ATF) and the OTC drum puller, no hammering needed. These were the original rotors approx 13 years old when I changed them, not warped only corroded.

Although I use Fluid Film myself I dont think it's anything special in this case. I think the problem is metal to metal contact and any petroleum product will work .
Yeah I don't doubt that at all. I just picked it because of some recommendations from other people I know. Nearly any sort of thicker grease or similar material will work.

Yeah I don't doubt that at all. I just picked it because of some recommendations from other people I know. Nearly any sort of thicker grease or similar material will work.
I would think you're a bit limited on what you could use. Might not be able to stop if you lather it up with grease

I would figure that any excess would end up in the inside of the rim. Luckily for me I don't use that much as to create that kind of problem.
It has to go across the part where the brake pad rides to get on the rim

a "helper" at a friends garage did NOT remove the small screw holding the rear rotor on my 2001 jetta BUT "ping" off it came then the head popped off after beating on it!!

The one that I had to resort to cutting was worse than this, I had a 5 ton hydraulic puller on the thing and the rotor was flexing. When things get that sketchy time to try something else, the sawzall and air chisel was quick and easy.

The one that I had to resort to cutting was worse than this, I had a 5 ton hydraulic puller on the thing and the rotor was flexing. When things get that sketchy time to try something else, the sawzall and air chisel was quick and easy.

Pretty sure they warn against using impact tools, I suspect for this reason…

I think that is probably the reason, it makes sense. I dont use a smoke wrench on then either, it ruins the grease in the sealed hubs. Imagine if that thing hit him, ouch.

When a co worker has trouble removing a brake drum or rotor I always suggest that they should try hitting it with their purse. Maybe that’s what this last shop did 🤣

I’ve never had a rotor I couldn’t get off with a hammer. It might come off in pieces but they’ve all came off. Drums? Those are a whole different story. They take more technique and less physical violence.

Do any cars or light trucks still bolt the rotor to the hub? I know that one caught me off guard on the MG when I did the brakes on it as it was the first I’d encountered, although I know it’s not an uncommon arrangement.

Those were factory or at least OEM rotors, and I ended up destroying the bolts getting them off. Fortunately that one is a hardware store fix.

If I’m not mistaken, wasn’t that design pretty much standard at one time before the “sandwiched” rotors became common? I also seem to recall that it hung around the S10/Blazer until the end of production, did it not?

I say all of this since I’m wondering if by some remote chance that’s what was on the OP’s truck.

Do any cars or light trucks still bolt the rotor to the hub? I know that one caught me off guard on the MG when I did the brakes on it as it was the first I’d encountered, although I know it’s not an uncommon arrangement.
Still? Not that I am aware of. My old Accord does but that's been around a while.

Back