Mechanic couldn't get brake rotor off?

As you know, and probably a lot of other people on this site also, those clips keep the brake drums in place while the car is moving down the assembly line. The rotors and drums are put on earlier in the assembly process, but the tires are put on close to the end. Knowing union rules, if a brake drum would fall off halfway through the assembly line, the nearest guy wouldn't be allowed to reinstall it. ;)
Once the clips are removed by the tech or customer, only someone with OCD who really wants to keep the originality of the car will put them back on.
As far as the stuck drum or rotor, I agree with the comments about using a torch. I got roasted for giving out this advice years ago, but the roasters were the ones who had never tried it, or didn't have access to a torch. First, you have to have an oxy-acetylene torch. Your little, bitty hand-held mapp torch isn't going to do it. You also need to have a rosebud torch tip (actually two tips with two people works better) and you have to hit it with heat hard and fast. The intent is to get the rotor or drum hot really quick before the heat can transfer to the inner flange. And, like posted, you hit the area with heat between the studs, not the studs themself. Quite often, the rotor of drum will give out a "pop" as it releases. If it doesn't, a few taps with the two pound (or larger) hammer will loosen it with a couple of taps.
They are in the parts catalog and I have sold them in the past.

Is it likely that a shop can’t get a rotor off?

I haven’t been doing rotors that long, believe it or not, maybe 2008 was the first time. Pads to the 90’s.

What I’ve found is that I didn’t hit the hats properly at first so all my pounding did nothing. I actually hit the rotor surface at first and wondered why they were stuck.

At any rate 2/3 of our cars have set screws. The Lexus, does not. So on the Lexus, they are totally loose and free at all times. Nothing is holding the rotors to the hub except the calipers and pads. I feel this is somehow unfinished in design, but helpful with rotor replacement…the GM and BMW have set screws. I’ve seen YouTubes where the screw is frozen on a Honda. That’s a real setback imho, like a belt and suspenders system by which failure of the suspenders means can’t take one’s pants off….my .02

Yeah those Honda screws are annoying. We sell a ton of them at work. I did brakes on a friends Civic. That screw was stripped already. I don’t remember what I did to get it out, I think I drilled it out? And didn’t put a new one in. Next person will have an easy time with the brakes!

I use the CRC product “Freeze Off”. A liberal amount sprayed at the base of the studs will work wonders. Of course I first beat on the rotor for 30 minutes with a mini-sledgehammer before I wised up.

IMG_3626.jpeg

I use a combination of penetrating oils; heat (carefully) and the OTC drum puller. Installing new always use anti seize. Next time they will just fall off.

I use a combination of penetrating oils; heat (carefully) and the OTC drum puller. Installing new always use anti seize. Next time they will just fall off.
Since it seems everytime I use the little bottle of anti-seize with a brush I end up looking like the Tin Man. I found that Loctite sells it in what is basically a glorified chapstick tube. Just dab it where you need it and no mess. They also sell their threadlocker and teflon that way, the techs at my work love it and were stoked I found it for them.

I took my 2010 Mazda 3 in because I couldn't budge the rotors and didn't have acetylene. They pounded so hard it cracked the rotor in half.

15 years, though, I’ve gone through at least a couple sets of brakes.

So, this is an original, 15 year old rotor? That’s an incredibly long life. I would drive 150,000 miles in that time and I don’t drive much!
I don’t know of any rotors I’ve replaced before that. On some cars I’ll be on the same set of pads.

Even our odyssey which supposedly is prone to pulsation and short life is on its original pads and rotors at 90k and I’m inclined to do a pad slap because the rotors look great.

So 150-200k isn’t out of the realm of possibility for life.

I didn't ask.
I dropped it off, otherwise I would have been standing their watching. I'll ask when I pick it up. All the pentrating oil had 2 days to soak in by the time they got to it. Then again it probably burned off on the drive over there, so maybe not

Back