Repairing runflats

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
My brother has a 2015ish X5 with new run flat tires and he picked up a nail. TPMS warned him and he was able to top off the air. First shop he called said they don't repair runflats. I've never heard of this...second shop was able to patch it.

Any idea why the first shop wouldn't fix it? The only thing I can think of is due to it potentially being driven on flat.

Most runflats cannot be repaired, and most shops won't repair them. If they're driven on when flat, the sidewall is damaged, even the stronger sidewalls of a runflat.

How far was the car driven between the TPMS warning and when he topped off the air? :unsure:

The TPMS light comes on when it's 25% low, and once the light comes on, you have 50 miles left.

Most runflats cannot be repaired, and most shops won't repair them. If they're driven on when flat, the sidewall is damaged, even the stronger sidewalls of a runflat.

How far was the car driven between the TPMS warning and when he topped off the air? :unsure:

The TPMS light comes on when it's 25% low, and once the light comes on, you have 50 miles left.

28 PSI was as low as it went.

I recently plug patched a tesla tire for some people that were here from Chicago.. had the optional 20's and no shop stocked the size.. foam inside, run flat and all. Left a good review for my shop so I assume it held and is working fine.

Yes, most RFT can be fixed. Like any tire, if punctured close to sidewall it cannot. Also, depends how long it has been driven airless. But, i had numerous RFT, and none had any indication that they cannot be repaired.

My brother has a 2015ish X5 with new run flat tires and he picked up a nail. TPMS warned him and he was able to top off the air. First shop he called said they don't repair runflats. I've never heard of this...second shop was able to patch it.

Any idea why the first shop wouldn't fix it? The only thing I can think of is due to it potentially being driven on flat.
For some shops RFT are still “new” technology.

RMA (tire manufacturers association) says to refer to the individual tire manufacturer for instructions on repairing run flat tires. The only one I am finding quickly in our tire vendors website is Bridgestone which says the tire can only be repaired if the pressure never dropped below 15 PSI. I can understand a shop not wanting to repair a runflat because first off, its almost impossible to verify the pressure never dropped below 15 PSI (going with Bridgestones standard here for sake of discussion). Second, runflats are hard to mount. I cant mount and dismount them on my tire equipment, I tried on a set of 17 inch driveguards on a Toyota minivan and was unsuccessful, have to take them to a friends shop, its a lot of work for the little that most people are willing to pay for a tire repair.

Long version: Barry's Tire Tech: RunFlat Tires

Short version: When RunFlat tires were first introduced, No repairs were allowed because running a RunFlat without inflation pressure sometimes resulted in a sidewall failure that couldn't be seen because the sidewall was so thick. That is, until the tire failed catastrophically! There was a real fear that this would be all too common and all too unsafe!

Time tempered that fear, but some tire manufacturers still retain the "No Repair" stance. Many tire shops are taking the conservative approach and do not repair ANY RunFlat Tires, regardless of what the manufacturer allows!

Very hard to tell if RFT is still RFT after the puncture.

Krzyś

RFT's are designed to be discarded after having been run while flat because the sidewall is designed to last for approx 50 miles (Just like that space saver "donut" tire which people seem to keep after having used it). This can create a liability issue in the eyes of some shops when it comes to repairing the tire. Another thing is that it's still a pain to mount/dismount RFT's and shops don't always want to deal with a customer complaint over a scratch rim. Basically the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Back