driving in snow: tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another tip, if you have traction issues with RWD, a few boulders or paving slabs or bags of sand help
smile.gif

My advice is to never use cruise control in these conditions. Perhaps traction control has helped with this, but I don't drive anything with this feature.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Driving in snow can be very stressful.
MAKE SURE you have your emotional support animal with you is my advice.

I don't need no stinking ESA...
All my cars are Ladies, and have names. So I could talk to them.
DD is Bluey and Mazda5 is ...... Mazda.

The GPS is VEETA

How did you know it was me?

Seriously, I did an 180 once and luckily everybody was paying attention on my 2 lanes of traffic.

I have a huge disdain of stock tires performance since that day.....

Originally Posted By: pandus13
How did you know it was me?

Seriously, I did an 180 once and luckily everybody was paying attention on my 2 lanes of traffic.

I have a huge disdain of stock tires performance since that day.....

That gal/guy is actually a pretty good driver. Yes they shouldn't have passed and lost control in the first place but after that the recovery was pretty good. No brake lights, no oversteer.

I once did a 360 plus a 180 on an unexpected patch of ice, without dents, injury or touching a curb. The key for me was no brakes, little steering input, a normal speed, and clutch in throughput - and ended up backing down my side of the road as a city gravel truck was coming - a piece of cake! Not really but I did it. I got a good round of applause from the city crew.

I suppose that very slippery surface, the lack of inputs, and forward momentum kept me going in a straight line and in my original direction. That and a lot of luck.

Only time I ever did a 180 was when I was driving to work and going up a hill. I was going slow because of weather conditions, hill was a little icy/snowy. So I got to about the middle of the hill and lost traction and it basically stopped going forward in the middle of the hill. I hit the brakes and was going to back down and try it again, but when I hit the brakes, the front of the car just swung around and did a full 180 and I was pointing down the hill. So I went down the hill and got a better running start up it. Luckily there was no one else on the road at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back