Pittsburgh PA Snow Storm of 1/16/2022 - 1/17/2022 might qualify for the B word.

Well, it has been a while since we had one that qualifies as a Blizzard. And while this is not looking like it is going to be a 4' snow fall or more like we sometimes had many many years ago, at 5:30 AM we have already surpassed the maximum prediction of 9 inches, and we are only 1/2 way through this one and it's coming down fast and showing no sign of letting up, and it's supposed to keep coming down until 7 PM.

I remember one we had when I was a kid where we dug a short tunnel from my front yard to the neighbors, and when one of the neighbor kids who was playing king of the mountain was standing on top of the snow pile in the back alley and sunk in up to his armpits and we all had to dig him out.

This one is not going to be like we use to get, but I ain't a kid or even 21 anymore, and have been using a big push broom every hour to keep the walk and parking clean enough. I have been here before doing the same. Pushing a boom often is a lot easier on the back then shoveling. At least tomorrow is a holiday. People will be spending a lot of time just digging out their vehicles and cleaning off walkways and steps. It's for sure not much regular getting around will happen this day. And of course, there are always those who have moved to this area recently and have no idea about having to have good winter tires on their vehicles. Or just for some other reason are driving around on bald or not suitable tires, and usually they are also the ones who do not know to drive slower than normal when there is snow on the road. We get those every first of the year snowfall, and I am sure this one the snow and ice will be plenty deep enough to weed out those again. And the local news will show their wrecked vehicles. Hopefully none of them take out innocent victims like sometimes happens.

So, while this one would not have qualified for the B word when I was a kid, now days with all the people who do not know what a big snowstorm is, and considering how poorly people now days handle such events, I have to say that on today's scale, this one qualifies as a Blizzard at least for this part of the country with today's younger generation of drivers, and the way the cities snow removal crews handles things now days.

How much wind up there? We haven't had a real blizzard since '78 here-not much snow, but it was over ice & the wind howled, shut the town down for 3 days! Never did so much sled riding before or since...

Here in central NY we were told to batten down the hatches because this was going to be the snowstorm to end all snowstorms.

We got a dusting. I really think the weather service is going to end up in a boy-who-cried-wolf situation and get a lot of people killed by overhyping these storms.

Weather hysteria.

Back when I was a kid, we had a big snowfall on Martin Luther King Day and of course a bunch of city workers had the day off, didn't want to come in for overtime and the main thoroughfares were slow to get plowed.

Here in central NY we were told to batten down the hatches because this was going to be the snowstorm to end all snowstorms.

We got a dusting. I really think the weather service is going to end up in a boy-who-cried-wolf situation and get a lot of people killed by overhyping these storms.
You escaped. We ended up with about 10.5” here. It was very windy northwest of the Burgh’ as I’m 15~ from Ohio state line. I dug out around 5am today; it’s mostly over where I am. I have short sidewalk, porch steps and all good. Dug out big swath behind my parking area and the break in sidewalk to enter the property. Weather in PA: you don’t like it; wait 5 minutes it WILL change

Getting over a foot of snow, perhaps four feet, isn’t weather hysteria.

It was unusual years ago, and unusual now.

I think the actual definition of blizzard includes high wind, however, not just total accumulation.
I have been in blizzard like conditions with minimal snow. The wind, elevation, "dryness" of the snow all play a part. Take two or three inches of dry snow, and 60+ MPH winds in a rural area. Things can turn real bad with just two inches of snow.

I think of Blizzard as an unusualy big enough snowstorm to stop normal getting around. I had not seen the dictionary defination about the wind before. Using that defination, this storm would not qualify. But it is enough to disrupt normal dayley getting around.

Well, it has been a while since we had one that qualifies as a Blizzard. And while this is not looking like it is going to be a 4' snow fall or more like we sometimes had many many years ago, at 5:30 AM we have already surpassed the maximum prediction of 9 inches, and we are only 1/2 way through this one and it's coming down fast and showing no sign of letting up, and it's supposed to keep coming down until 7 PM.

I remember one we had when I was a kid where we dug a short tunnel from my front yard to the neighbors, and when one of the neighbor kids who was playing king of the mountain was standing on top of the snow pile in the back alley and sunk in up to his armpits and we all had to dig him out.

This one is not going to be like we use to get, but I ain't a kid or even 21 anymore, and have been using a big push broom every hour to keep the walk and parking clean enough. I have been here before doing the same. Pushing a boom often is a lot easier on the back then shoveling. At least tomorrow is a holiday. People will be spending a lot of time just digging out their vehicles and cleaning off walkways and steps. It's for sure not much regular getting around will happen this day. And of course, there are always those who have moved to this area recently and have no idea about having to have good winter tires on their vehicles. Or just for some other reason are driving around on bald or not suitable tires, and usually they are also the ones who do not know to drive slower than normal when there is snow on the road. We get those every first of the year snowfall, and I am sure this one the snow and ice will be plenty deep enough to weed out those again. And the local news will show their wrecked vehicles. Hopefully none of them take out innocent victims like sometimes happens.

So, while this one would not have qualified for the B word when I was a kid, now days with all the people who do not know what a big snowstorm is, and considering how poorly people now days handle such events, I have to say that on today's scale, this one qualifies as a Blizzard at least for this part of the country with today's younger generation of drivers, and the way the cities snow removal crews handles things now days.
Get out the Iron City beer and the snow shovel. I grew up east of Pittsburgh in the 70's with some great snow accumulations that still starts conversations to this day. Best thing is to slow down, look twice when turning (huge snow piles obstruct line of sight and get help to clear snow so no physical issues arise from over-doing-it). Or...get up to Seven Springs or Laurel Mountain and hit the POWDER!

We maybe got a foot to 14" in one of the Buffalo southtowns from late last night to now. Still snowing.

IMO, Buffalo has gotten WAYY too soft. This is normal January/winter weather.

On top of this all, everyone and their brother buys these sub-compact to mid-size "egg-o-the-month" shaped SUVs that 9/10 times have AWD. I don't see what the problem is. If it's that bad to drive stay home, then slap some winter tires on that thing and don't expect the lease duration High Performance All Seasons to do it all.

Drove a lot of winters with FWD cars and no problems.

We maybe got a foot to 14" in one of the Buffalo southtowns from late last night to now. Still snowing.

IMO, Buffalo has gotten WAYY too soft. This is normal January/winter weather.

On top of this all, everyone and their brother buys these sub-compact to mid-size "egg-o-the-month" shaped SUVs that 9/10 times have AWD. I don't see what the problem is. If it's that bad to drive stay home, then slap some winter tires on that thing and don't expect the lease duration High Performance All Seasons to do it all.

Drove a lot of winters with FWD cars and no problems.

We had some snow last week here in Syracuse and it almost shut everything down. Only 6''. But the last 10 winters haven't been bad at all. For this storm I was predicted for 2', I only got a dusting. I wouldn't have even brushed the car off but the sleet encrusted the dusting on the car. Certainly was windy.

I've always been told how terrible rear wheel drive is in the snow. I'm genuinely surprised at how GOOD it is in the snow

I remember back in 2010 or 2011 when the Penguins were on the road and a blizzard came through Pittsburgh that prevented most people from safely getting to the then Consol Energy Center. All the entrance stores around the arena had tall snow drifts up against them.

9-10 inches here of heavy muddy snow and changing over to sleety rain. A decent showing. We need the snow pack.

We've got 18-24 inches plus blowing and drifting in NE Ohio.
Plus the wind is going to shift direction this afternoon and turn on the lake effect snow machine so probably another 8-12.

It's been quite a while since it was this bad. And to think that we used to get 100+ inches every winter.....

Glad I got out of there when I did.

GMC 3500HD Dualie was stuck on a hill...

Getting over a foot of snow, perhaps four feet, isn’t weather hysteria.

It was unusual years ago, and unusual now.

I think the actual definition of blizzard includes high wind, however, not just total accumulation.

Yes true.... Blizzard has criteria... 1/4 mile or less visibility, winds consistently sustained above ( * I think 35 or 39 mph... For at least 2 hours* ) = that's just from the top of my head... Could easily be off by a bit... Haven't looked at my blizzard criteria in a bit...

Fun story...

Hampton Roads and my area in Gloucester had a Blizzard Warning in February 1989 big snowstorm.... Heard that on my weather radio and I was AMPED... We did get that storm by the way... We didn't have another Blizzard Warning issued in the Wakefield NWS area until I think January 2017 snowstorm.... I am not sure 1996 January storm had a Blizzard Warning... I don't believe so.... Had my weather radio then too. Out in the Winn Dixie parking lot while it was snowing cats and dogs at 2 am...

However.... Weather hysteria is part of this deal too.

One has to define what makes a real deal big event for a particular region....

In say Buffalo NY a foot of snow is not a big deal. 4 feet is a big deal there obviously.

In Charleston SC 4 inches of snow is a HUGE deal.... Like in the January 2018 storm.... In our region 4 inches is a deal but really not a big deal.

In our region Astro....

Here's my scale....

1-3 inches.... Small scale storm

3-6 inches Moderate scale storm

7-12 inches High impact storm

12 to 18 inches. Extreme impact event...

18+ inches... Potential Record breaking extreme storm . .

Key part if this scale though....

It is for Hampton Roads, the surrounding countys of York, Gloucester, Mathews, James City, Surry, Isle of White, Sussex, Southampton and northeast NC.... I have a slightly different scale for areas just to our north and west.

A foot of snow at say Afton Va.... Really isn't a big deal.... Or a foot of snow at Burke's Garden is not a big big deal either....

Back