Drive thru oil change place put non euro in VW

Wife's 2013 VW Passat 2.5 L with 106,000 miles. They used castrol gtx 5w30 full synthetic.

She's had it changed at the dealer in the past. Do I need to change it immediately?

That is a very reliable engine and in my opinion, should be just fine with that oil. If it was a turbo or diesel VW I would type something else. Those engines hold over 6 quarts

Wife's 2013 VW Passat 2.5 L with 106,000 miles. They used castrol gtx 5w30 full synthetic.

She's had it changed at the dealer in the past. Do I need to change it immediately?
it will be totally fine, the 2.5 is a bulletproof, relatively low tech engine

I use conventional oil in my mother in law's 2.5, I just shorten the OCI to 5k miles

Yes before it bursts into flames! You probably only have seconds left by now!
1660779332197.jpg

Will the car burst into flames? No. However, you paid the shop to change your oil and that means they need to provide proper spec fluids / filters and if they can't they should notify you before proceeding. I'll tell you what I would do if it was my car (which I understand it isn't), I would seek a refund from the shop that used the improper spec then change it MYSELF with the proper spec oil and filter. That's what would help ME sleep well at night, others will feel different.

That engine okay, most other VWs no go.

Still not a properly done job and that is not a rare spec either. They shoulda had it.

Back