Drain High Mileage Oil Filters between Intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I've been away for a few years, things have changed a lot with oil filters as there are so many flavors available now. I haven't really had the need to log in because this site taught me so much stuff AND I have a serious stash of oil and oil filters mainly because of this site (still living off the K-Mart clearance stash from about 5 years ago. I really had to force myself away from the site because I constantly found myself buying oil and kept adding to my stash...to the point where my fiancée got mad at me and starting thinking I had a fetish for oil lol. Long story short, I still have close to 70k miles worth of oil stashed away, along with a bunch of Wix and PC filters (yeah I heard about the horror stories now smh...but I will still keep them). My new job is literally 5 minutes away from my house and it doesn't look like my stash is going anywhere soon
frown.gif

To my question, for you guys running high mileage oil filters (XG, etc.), do you drain the old oil out of the filter and put it back on between intervals or do you simply leave it in place and just drain the oil. I'm curious to see what people will say. Since this is BITOG, I'm sure I know what most will say.

Leave it in place (XG Ultra I mean). You could drain it out and put it back on, but fill the Ultra with fresh oil before you do to avoid a dry start.

If you're using a great synthetic oil and changing it at about the manufacturer's recommendations, you're probably using a better quality oil than what the OCI's were set up for, so leaving the oil filter in place is no problem. Who cares if a little of the oil, probably still decent, oil is left in there? Its mostly new high-performance synthetic anyway.

Just don't overfill the sump of course if you leave your XG Ultra in place.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
I really had to force myself away from the site because I constantly found myself buying oil and kept adding to my stash...to the point where

We should start an OA (Oil Anonymous) group just for that reason. Been there.

Last edited:
.... My new job is literally 5 minutes away from my house and it doesn't look like my stash is going anywhere soon
frown.gif

To my question, for you guys running high mileage oil filters (XG, etc.), do you drain the old oil out of the filter and put it back on between intervals or do you simply leave it in place and just drain the oil. I'm curious to see what people will say. Since this is BITOG, I'm sure I know what most will say.

I'd keep the filter on. But, only because I have no idea on what the track record is for oil filter seals holding up after they've been removed/reinstalled multiple times.

With your new job only 5 miles away, that means more frequent oil changes from the perspective of short-trips. I'd still do a minimum of annual oil changes regardless of the miles.

I have a 4 cylinder GM engine that takes a cartridge filter from above. It is very easy to remove-reinstall the filter and have a look at it for any possible problems. Doing this also allows the dirty oil in the filter housing to drain down to the sump. In a case like this, it makes sense to remove-reinstall the filter during an oil change. Otherwise I would just leave it.

I appreciate all of the responses so far. Just curious to see what most folks would say. I think that 69gtx brought up the best point. I never thought about the filter seal after the first use. To break the seal then try to reseal is a valid point. I'm pretty much changing my oil 1/2 times per year with Dino. I went into my stash and noticed I still have some MC5K SM I haven't touched yet lol. I'm saving that for last as it was great oil. It's waaaayyy to humid here in Houston to bike to work. I would need a shower once I made it lol

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Leave it in place (XG Ultra I mean). You could drain it out and put it back on, but fill the Ultra with fresh oil before you do to avoid a dry start.

If you're using a great synthetic oil and changing it at about the manufacturer's recommendations, you're probably using a better quality oil than what the OCI's were set up for, so leaving the oil filter in place is no problem. Who cares if a little of the oil, probably still decent, oil is left in there? Its mostly new high-performance synthetic anyway.

Just don't overfill the sump of course if you leave your XG Ultra in place.

I really had to force myself away from the site because I constantly found myself buying oil and kept adding to my stash...to the point where

We should start an OA (Oil Anonymous) group just for that reason. Been there.
tell me about it. It became serious for me lol.

You can return oil to Walmart without a receipt, if you have oil that Walmart currently stocks. I've done it. They got fresh new 0w-40 I didn't need.

If I took the oil filter off, I'd replace it with a new one. They only cost like $7.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
You can return oil to Walmart without a receipt, if you have oil that Walmart currently stocks. I've done it. They got fresh new 0w-40 I didn't need.
this is a bunch of 4qt jugs i got from kmart

Since I've been away for a few years, things have changed a lot with oil filters as there are so many flavors available now. I haven't really had the need to log in because this site taught me so much stuff AND I have a serious stash of oil and oil filters mainly because of this site (still living off the K-Mart clearance stash from about 5 years ago. I really had to force myself away from the site because I constantly found myself buying oil and kept adding to my stash...to the point where my fiancée got mad at me and starting thinking I had a fetish for oil lol. Long story short, I still have close to 70k miles worth of oil stashed away, along with a bunch of Wix and PC filters (yeah I heard about the horror stories now smh...but I will still keep them). My new job is literally 5 minutes away from my house and it doesn't look like my stash is going anywhere soon
frown.gif

Remove the oil filter and dispose of it properly. Install a new oil filter at every OCI.

"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

this is a bunch of 4qt jugs i got from kmart
Doesn't matter where its from, but if Walmart doesn't have it on its own shelf, then you can't return it to Walmart. I returned some Amazon.com 0w-40 to walmart and got a walmart gift card.

I too am looking into this. In my Ram I do 10-12,000km oil changes on PPPP using Napa Gold. I am going to keep the same OCI but now going to use a Fram Ultra for the mileage duration. I must admit that I am of the thought to change the filter each and every change. It is how I have been operating since I was a kid starting out. But with a good oil and a quality filter that is rated for that sort of mileage what is truly the point of changing it?
In the grand scheme the amount of oil left in the system really is small compared to the amount that the system carries and what oil left, as some of mentioned probably still has life left in it.

Another aspect is waste. We live in an age that is ripe with tree huggers, yes they annoy me but some of them actually have a point. Using 1 quality filter longer than two creates less waste, less hassle, possibly less cost so what am I missing?

I appreciate all of the responses so far. Just curious to see what most folks would say. I think that 69gtx brought up the best point. I never thought about the filter seal after the first use. To break the seal then try to reseal is a valid point.

Exactly ... compare a used filter's base gasket height above the base to a new filter and you can see just how much compression set the gasket gets during use. I has no squish factor left if removed and then reused.

Oil changes every 5K with my own mix of Pennzoil conventional/synthetic and oil filter (not removed at the 5K interval) every 10K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back