Dodge Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2015 Journey with 80,000km has been in the shop for 5 warranty recalls. All of which can cause major safety problems and/or fire. The Alternator died under warranty at 30,000km. The interior light almost caught fire, and the A/C and remote starter has never worked right since day one and I keep fighting with them to get it fixed when I have time to take the vehicle in under open work orders from when it was still under warranty. Oh and now the door seals are cracking/ripping and the ones against the windows are starting as well. Really? Its' 2 years old.

Aside from all of that above the engine/trans are very reliable and will last a long time in this model. I will however not be returning to Chrysler because I hate the "little" things that forever seem to go wrong with their products and I'm used to 0 issues until the 300,000km mark with other manufacturers.

I should have bought another Hyundai Santa Fe. But I listened to my dad and bought a Cry-Co. Live and learn I guess...
33.gif

Last edited:
I am very happy with my Chrysler products. Being that I get to try several different makes in my job and see different vehicles on site. I really think my next truck will be another Dodge.
Mind vehicles and quality is a changing issue though. What was great 10 years ago may be [censored] now. I definitely think Ford is headed down hill.
I see no quality issues with Dodge, enough to spend $40,000 on one.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Dodge Quality? As far as I know they all have had major issues!! Can someone name a model, Dodge, [censored] even the entire Chrysler line that is rock solid with no stupid major issues? What is the "Toyota Camry" of reliability of the Dodge brand?????

"Dodge recalls 1,207 Hellcats for massive oil cooler leaks"

Hey, that's almost as bad as Toyota Tundra camshafts snapping in half
smirk.gif

Hey shhhhhh you know you aren't allowed to bash imports if they have an issue like camshafts snapping it's obviously a user error issue. It couldn't possibly be a design flaw or a quality issue not on a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My Camshaft snapped in the Santa Fe. Albeit it was 300,000 miles (535,000km) before it happened though.
lol.gif

I had a camshaft wear out on my previous VW with 177k miles
laugh.gif

I work at a parts store and I would never buy a Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat/Jeep/Ram product. Yes, I currently have a Dodge, but it was given to me for free and I plan on keeping it just long enough to clean it up well enough to make decent money selling it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ejes
As to the bailout, I don't weigh that anymore like I once did. Why? I learned more about the facts, which is they ALL took a bailout; even FORD. Ford's was just in a different form. GM, GMAC and Chrysler took the bailout in TARP funds, Ford took government loans to achieve the same thing. This explains it well for those that want to read it: https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670

All manufactures have their specific quality issues; it is just a matter of what quality issue(s) are most important to you as a specific consumer. Chrysler typically ranks amount the lowest on "review" sites, but that hasn't stopped me from buying them. I like a lot about them, but don't like other things that do annoy me. I can say the same about the Toyota, GM, Ford cars and trucks I currently drive and have had. I tend to look for a specific set of things I want and like with relation to the duty the vehicle is going to perform for me, do my research, and ignore the badge.

This!!!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
As to the bailout, I don't weigh that anymore like I once did. Why? I learned more about the facts, which is they ALL took a bailout; even FORD. Ford's was just in a different form. GM, GMAC and Chrysler took the bailout in TARP funds, Ford took government loans to achieve the same thing. This explains it well for those that want to read it: https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670

All manufactures have their specific quality issues; it is just a matter of what quality issue(s) are most important to you as a specific consumer. Chrysler typically ranks amount the lowest on "review" sites, but that hasn't stopped me from buying them. I like a lot about them, but don't like other things that do annoy me. I can say the same about the Toyota, GM, Ford cars and trucks I currently drive and have had. I tend to look for a specific set of things I want and like with relation to the duty the vehicle is going to perform for me, do my research, and ignore the badge.

This!!!

Agreed.

We've had the Fiat a year and a half, no problems. Jeep is 2.5 years old, it went back once for a leaking strut and a recall that puts the car in park automatically if you try to exit it while it's in gear. I was a little disappointed the strut leaked, but love the vehicle so I can overlook it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

This!!!

Agreed.

We've had the Fiat a year and a half, no problems. Jeep is 2.5 years old, it went back once for a leaking strut and a recall that puts the car in park automatically if you try to exit it while it's in gear. I was a little disappointed the strut leaked, but love the vehicle so I can overlook it.

So might make you feel better I've seen several newer Honda's lately with leaking struts between 20,000-50,000 which I'd say is a pretty early failure.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
"Mechanics of reddit - which car shows up at your shop most often?"

About 50% of responses indicate Chrysler.
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Back in my consumer car repair days, I rebuilt/replaced lots of Ford transmissions, power steering pumps, water pumps, etc. GM FWD power steering racks, and intake manifold gaskets. Chrysler it was mostly the oil burning Mitsubishi motors that I fixed.

Bottom line: All manufacturers have some issues. Rather than look at a Manufacturer in total, look at the reliability of specific models in their line up.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
FWIW, I've read a number of comments stating that the current Charger platform is not aging well... this coming from LEOs. Honestly, I'm not sure what to think of it as those LEO vehicles may be utilized differently than how I would utilize one. Still, I tend to keep my cars 10+ years, way past warranty period, so this gives me pause.

Our local Sheriffs love their squad Chargers, hate the Impalas and Exploreres, so go figure

Let's just say this: EVERY place that tracks initial and long term quality and dependability puts the FCA brands (Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ram) at the bottom of the list. That has been going on for quite a long time now. So either those that get surveyed are lying about their 2nd biggest purchase or there is some truth.

Despite what the Mopar fanboys will say you can do better in nearly every metric by shopping elsewhere.

Some Light Reading on Hellcat Issues.

Last edited:
Buying with a warranty gives you some kind of reassurance. I will say, the absolute worst vehicle quality wise I've ever owned was my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was basically loaded, the limited Trailhawk model. I LOVED that thing, but it had more problems than every other vehicle I've owned combined. Sometimes I still regret getting rid of it, but I couldn't stand taking it in so often.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Let's just say this: EVERY place that tracks initial and long term quality and dependability puts the FCA brands (Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ram) at the bottom of the list. That has been going on for quite a long time now. So either those that get surveyed are lying about their 2nd biggest purchase or there is some truth.

Despite what the Mopar fanboys will say you can do better in nearly every metric by shopping elsewhere.

Some Light Reading on Hellcat Issues.

You can find the same stuff on any of the cars he's looking at.

Entire forum section dedicated to GT350 issues.

Camaro issues forum

Super fun blog about the C7 Corvette

According to JD Power's long-term rankings for 2017

Chevrolet is #8 on the list
Chrysler is #18
Ford is #25
Ram is #26
Dodge is #27
Jeep is #29
Fiat is #30

In this particular list, the bottom-six slots are occupied by Ford, Dodge, Infiniti, Jeep and FIAT. Chrysler is much higher up the list, ranking significantly better than Ford, Chevrolet ranks significantly better still. GMC and Cadillac are much closer to Chrysler's ranking.

Ultimately, if this is the OP's primary concern, he should apparently be buying a Porsche based on this data
smirk.gif

Drive them all and buy based on ergonomics. I've driven all three and the Camaro's ergonomics were the worst. The Mustang's were the best.

That's what I love about my 300ZX and Accord. The ergonomics of both are perfect.

It seems like some Dodge products are better than others in terms of needing dealer visits, etc. IMO, the Grand Caravan is one of the good ones.

My most recent Dodge was our 2013 Grand Caravan. The only issues we had with it were very early on, like within the first year and luckily they were minor and happened at the same time. A slight power steering pump leak and the level switch for the windshield washer fluid reservoir failed. Both required two visits because they didn't have the parts in stock. What kind of sucked with the PS pump was, in the end they discovered it was just an O-ring, but they swapped the pump anyway.

The leading edge of the aluminum hood started to bubble at 3-4yrs and about 60K miles. Nothing else aside from tires and brakes until we traded it at ~75K miles in April 2017.

I wanted another DGC, but the missus never cared for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Buying with a warranty gives you some kind of reassurance. I will say, the absolute worst vehicle quality wise I've ever owned was my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was basically loaded, the limited Trailhawk model. I LOVED that thing, but it had more problems than every other vehicle I've owned combined. Sometimes I still regret getting rid of it, but I couldn't stand taking it in so often.

What kind of issues did you have with your 2013? My father's 2013 GC trailhawk has been pretty much flawless with the 5.7L V8. He has about 102k miles on it.

There are definitely some Chrysler vehicles I won't buy. I also find that they are one of the most hit or miss brands out there. Some vehicles have no issues for 200k and others of the same model are in the shop constantly. My GF's mom has a 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 and it has had transmission issues, transfer case was replaced, brake calipers locked up in the rear, constant running rough problems, etc. My dad's Jeep gets used and abused and has had none of that.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back