Dodge Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Dodge Quality? As far as I know they all have had major issues!! Can someone name a model, Dodge, [censored] even the entire Chrysler line that is rock solid with no stupid major issues? What is the "Toyota Camry" of reliability of the Dodge brand?????

"Dodge recalls 1,207 Hellcats for massive oil cooler leaks"

Hey, that's almost as bad as Toyota Tundra camshafts snapping in half
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Dodge Quality? As far as I know they all have had major issues!! Can someone name a model, Dodge, [censored] even the entire Chrysler line that is rock solid with no stupid major issues? What is the "Toyota Camry" of reliability of the Dodge brand?????

"Dodge recalls 1,207 Hellcats for massive oil cooler leaks"

Except who wants to drive Grand Pa's snoozer, no thanks, Ill keep my SRT , much more comfortable and better quality than a Toyota, seriously go test drive one, much more technology in it, better materials and in 10 yrs I will still be enjoying it. Oh, and no issues with it.

Oh isn't Toyota the recall king as far as # of recalls and volume?

Chrysler quality in general is total GARBAGE. When you work at a large fleet you see all the bugs, and quirks and all kinds of problems
That should have been fixed at factory.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Buy what you like. The quality is likely similar all you list, the most important is what you feel best in, looks best to you and you like driving.

Bailouts should have no bearing on your decision and that was 10 years ago.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: car51
Chrysler quality in general is total GARBAGE. When you work at a large fleet you see all the bugs, and quirks and all kinds of problems

I doubt you are wrenching on HellCat's, SRT's or trimmed-out 300's in fleet service though. I know a ton of guys that work at my Chrysler dealer and I know what vehicles are problematic and what ones aren't. Generally the LX-cars are pretty darn good as are the JGC's and trucks unless you get the EcoDiesel.

FWIW, I've read a number of comments stating that the current Charger platform is not aging well... this coming from LEOs. Honestly, I'm not sure what to think of it as those LEO vehicles may be utilized differently than how I would utilize one. Still, I tend to keep my cars 10+ years, way past warranty period, so this gives me pause.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
FWIW, I've read a number of comments stating that the current Charger platform is not aging well... this coming from LEOs. Honestly, I'm not sure what to think of it as those LEO vehicles may be utilized differently than how I would utilize one. Still, I tend to keep my cars 10+ years, way past warranty period, so this gives me pause.

The LEO cars, like any non-SRT, get different suspension bits, less-nice interior....etc. I think it was SteveSRT8 who commented that an R/T owner suffering from premature front-end wear issues could just go with the SRT parts and eliminate the problem entirely.

If you are concerned, go take a higher mileage SRT for a drive (since you aren't shopping below that point based on our previous discussions). Make your own observations on how it is aging.

As to the bailout, I don't weigh that anymore like I once did. Why? I learned more about the facts, which is they ALL took a bailout; even FORD. Ford's was just in a different form. GM, GMAC and Chrysler took the bailout in TARP funds, Ford took government loans to achieve the same thing. This explains it well for those that want to read it: https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670

All manufactures have their specific quality issues; it is just a matter of what quality issue(s) are most important to you as a specific consumer. Chrysler typically ranks amount the lowest on "review" sites, but that hasn't stopped me from buying them. I like a lot about them, but don't like other things that do annoy me. I can say the same about the Toyota, GM, Ford cars and trucks I currently drive and have had. I tend to look for a specific set of things I want and like with relation to the duty the vehicle is going to perform for me, do my research, and ignore the badge.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I doubt you are wrenching on HellCat's, SRT's or trimmed-out 300's in fleet service though. I know a ton of guys that work at my Chrysler dealer and I know what vehicles are problematic and what ones aren't. Generally the LX-cars are pretty darn good as are the JGC's and trucks unless you get the EcoDiesel.

Yeah, the FIAT trash is just “trash”. Jeep Cherokees/Grand Cherokees are good as are Durangos. The R/T Chargers with the HEMI are very nice and fast as are the HEMI Challengers we have
smile.gif

Yeah, the FIAT trash is just “trash”. Jeep Cherokees/Grand Cherokees are good as are Durangos. The R/T Chargers with the HEMI are very nice and fast as are the HEMI Challengers we have
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I'm with those who think that Dodge (FCA) quality will be neither better nor worse than the other models you've listed.
If you like the straight line capability of the Charger, then go for it.
Other than the Corvette, the other cars you've listed will be so far behind when you get to the first corner that handling will be of little concern.

We have a Mopar group there are several [censored] cats, shakers ect and they are all dead nuts reliable. Some of those guys beat on them and have great luck. Great stuff! I'd dare to say the mustang has the worst quality search mustang fitment issues. They have /had alot of issue with body fitment and paint quality.

I'd be more apt to look at a Mustang GT myself. I'd get one with the active valve performance exhaust, MagneRide damping system and the spare tire kit.
Ford credit took billions of dollars from the TALF bailout program and no one blinked an eye.
Ford also lobbied for the cash for clunkers program.
If you like the Dodge, buy it.
V8's will largely vanish in new vehicles with the looming 2025 EPA fuel economy requirements. Now you know why Chevy said they will put a 4
cylinder in the full-size truck within a few years.

If you are concerned, go take a higher mileage SRT for a drive (since you aren't shopping below that point based on our previous discussions). Make your own observations on how it is aging.

Not a bad idea. Right now I'm having a hard time finding any SRT, either new or used within 150 miles from me, which makes it a bit of a challenge.

That is why I am thinking about it. V8s may be an extinct animal soon. Current administration is reviewing EPA mandates now, so not sure what will come of it. Hellcat or Mustang are my 2 finalists in my mind. Appreciate all the knowledge...great stuff as usual.

I have two FCA products. One is making significantly more power than stock, with no issues whatsoever. The other, although new earlier this year, has been flawless. It was my choice after testing all three options from Ford, GM, and FCA. And from talking to friends who still work in consumer car repair. In fact both the Ford and GM products were new designs for '17.

If you can afford a Hellcat you can afford the extended factory warranty.

These things are such collectors' items it is impossible to know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back