Do your pets 'talk' to you?

Yes but I don't speak Jack Russell!
Dalene and Trevor Grayland.jpg

My Torti long hair rodent (errr, I mean cat) is constantly barking (meowing) orders.
I wanna eat: Meow. I want you to scratch my ear: Meow. I want the window open: Meow.
Sometimes I ask her a question and I swear she can say no. It sounds like this: Meow.

My cat understands English and will plan his actions accordingly based on what he hears as talk. He is Siamese and communicates with us. It's funny when we don't understand what he is saying - he gets this frustrated look and gets louder and louder.

Animals are sentient beings.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about playful barking or meowing that most all pets do. I'm talking about noises that their species normally don't make.

Our loveable mutt Maizey is one of those 'vocal' dogs. She makes noises that you don't hear very often and each of them has their own meaning.

We've been trying to capture them on video for a while now, but short of running a camera 24/7 they're hard to get. The wife managed to catch one last night and sent it to me (Sorry for the crap video, it was an MMS and I'll never remember to get her to send a good copy of it).

This is doggo wanting us to know that she's still here and we need to at least acknowledge her. You can see when my wife asks her what she wants, she gives a 'nothing, I'm just still here look'.

There's another one she does, usually when I wake up in the afternoons to get ready for work after she's been home with the wife all day. That one is her 'I'm glad dad's awake, mom is boring' one, right before she runs down the hall and tries to flatten me.

IMO your dog is telling you she's either hungry, or thirsty given the licking of her lips. My dog does this too. She has also learned to gradually low growl, and turn that into a bark, if she wants some attention. Not in an aggressive way but to demand she gets some specific attention (food, go outside, etc.).

Most of my animals have had their own unique ways of communicating. We had a cat, that loved a saucer of milk and could meow "milk." It was uncanny. My dogs can all very positively communicate, speaking or behavior, simple ideas such as being hungry, wanting to go for a walk, go outside, wanting water, wanting attention, licking your arm/leg, nudging your hand to be pet, etc. in their own unique ways.

Dogs and Cats communicate very well, and they wish they could verbalize it better too.
Special note, be aware of xylitol, its more deadly to your dog than antifreeze.
That crap and any food with it should have huge warning stickers.
Yes, Xylitol should be either banned or clearly labeled as lethal poison for pets. It's found in many human junk food and especially some cheap peanut butter. ALWAYS inspect anything you might give to a dog, for this toxic ingredient. Horrible they would use this in food that might predictably be fed to a dog as a treat.

IMO your dog is telling you she's either hungry, or thirsty given the licking of her lips. My dog does this too. She has also learned to gradually low growl, and turn that into a bark, if she wants some attention. Not in an aggressive way but to demand she gets some specific attention (food, go outside, etc.).

Most of my animals have had their own unique ways of communicating. We had a cat, that loved a saucer of milk and could meow "milk." It was uncanny. My dogs can all very positively communicate, speaking or behavior, simple ideas such as being hungry, wanting to go for a walk, go outside, wanting water, wanting attention, licking your arm/leg, nudging your hand to be pet, etc. in their own unique ways.

Maybe hungry for human food. She's the type where her food is always there, and water is always available. She just wants to let us know that we need to acknowledge her. The wife was watching a baseball game and not paying her any attention.

One time I was on phone with customer service and my dog making noises….. she wanted (demanding) for me to pet and rub her stomach.

Customer Service Rep asked me what’s all the noise in the background cause she was whimpering for attention.

No but they sure do talk to each other. I had a German Short-hair, a group of guenia pigs, and a husky have daily conversations lol. The husky would bring the guenia pigs grass when they would squeak lol

Yes, Xylitol should be either banned or clearly labeled as lethal poison for pets. It's found in many human junk food and especially some cheap peanut butter. ALWAYS inspect anything you might give to a dog, for this toxic ingredient. Horrible they would use this in food that might predictably be fed to a dog as a treat.
Yes should be banned. Even some candy's that have a fake sweetener and label as something else other than xylitol may not be truthful.
I know that was the case with us. I never wanted ANY thing with non sugar sweetener in the house. I have zero trust of those labels.
Cats may not have the same reaction that dogs do to xylitol, not sure.
Oh and to add to your statement. MAY JUST FALL ON THE GROUND AND THE DOG WILL FIND AND EAT IT. Especially candy given to a kid.

That works for me. Where are the people with parrots or ravens? They are great mimics.
You want a good parrot or macaw story? Recently a couple kept finding items added to their amazon account. Their bird would wait till they went to bed tell alexa to turn on the lights then proceed to add items to a grocery list. They quickly turned off Alexa.

Yes but I don't speak Jack Russell! View attachment 165115
Cute ol' Jack Russell there. Does he prefer that "hair covering the left eye" hair-style?
In that photo, where does the Mrs keep her doggie bags?

Our five month-old puppy Schnoodle is the most talkative dog we've had yet..... ever since our first dog in 1976.
I try to interpret Henry's various barking sounds, but I never took any classes in either French or German...lol:confused:

Back