Do you use auto start/stop feature (if applicable)?

I’m indifferent to it. I do notice I’ll let up on the brake slightly to re-fire the engine in anticipation of a green light, etc. It’s my habit now and I tend to do it even in non stop/start vehicles.

It was too jarring (2021 F150 5.0 V8) and was driving me insane. I start my mostly-rural commute with four, cold-engine rural stops where nobody is hardly ever there. Sometimes ASS would activate, often not. The uncertainty really made me crazy, not to mention multiple cold starts. The worst was pulling into my work parking garage, a quick stop to scan my badge and ASS would activate after doing nothing the whole rest of the commute. AAAAAUGH!

I would never remember to turn ASS off until it happened, so I finally installed Autostop Eliminator (I know, could use ForScan) and I think it dropped my blood pressure 20 points lol.

Or do you turn it off when you start your vehicle?

My previous car had a switch to permanently disable start stop, son I did. occasionally I turned it on just to see if the battery was good enough for start stop to work, but that was maybe once a year.

The current car is a gas version of the older, and doesn't have start stop.

For many years I frequently drove Sweetie's Prius. At first, I was unhappy with the feature. After a while, I came to accept it, and while I wouldn't go so far as to say I liked it, I was definitely neutral. At one point, when switching from the Prius to my car(s), I missed having the feature.

Now that I've used cars with and without the feature for more than a dozen years, it matters little if a car has it, but I sometimes miss it when sitting at a long light or stopping in traffic.

I can't really tell if the engine is running in my cars while at idle if it wasn't for the rpm gauge starts I do feel though

I don't care for it. Coded it off on the Tiguan after my wife complained about the small lag to get underway. She had it stop and then needed to go like NOW on a couple occasions, and felt unsafe. Part of that problem was the known throttle/transmission response issue, but start/stop just exacerbated it. Both fixed now thanks to VCDS.

My wifes Highlander has it and neither one of us can stand it. The first thing we do when starting the car is turn it off. Its a natural reflex by now.

One of my co-workers recently bought a new Chevy Equinox. She hated the ASS so much she traded the car in after only 2 months on a Honda CRV. She said she couldn't turn it off on the Chevy and bought the Honda because it either didn't have ASS or she could turn it off, can't remember which. This is a woman who buys a new car every 2 to 3 years and has always bought Chevy's. Said she will never buy another Chevy because of the ASS feature.

I don't have a car that has it, but if I did, I would use it.

When I've had rentals and loaners that had it, I felt as if I was not wasting fuel when stopped....

also my understanding is the vehicles were designed for that. It's not the same as taking a car like mine, and shutting it off and on manually....

I use it but modulate it with the brake pedal. It's a bit jarring in the RAV4. If I know I'm stopping a short time, I'll press the brake enough to stop the car but not enough to engage the start/stop. If it's a long stop, I'll let it engage but ease on the brake to restart the engine so the brake stays engaged.

I've only had ASS in a few rentals, and I found it 100% unobtrusive. At first I didn't even realize it was happening; it was that seamless.

But I realize some manufacturers tend to do it differently. I've heard a few (in traffic) that sound like full-blown "cold starts" at every traffic light.

Sometimes I try to drive around it by rolling up to,
"imperceptible" rolling through stops, and just slow creeping at lights - and with the Ford, even a 1mph roll or foot off the brake will keep it disabled.

If I am in town with busy traffic where I need lightning reflexes, it gets switched off. The software doesn't have driving situational awareness. I do.

I have two ways to kill it. With a switch on the dash panel near HVAC controls - then also by shifting the trans down into S-mode or full manual mode will keep it from activating.

Interestingly and thankfully my wife's Subaru doesn't have it when you order the 6MT trans.
Imagine trying to rock crawl with that garbage intrusive software?!

Thought I'd hate it on the Ram, but the restart is almost instantaneous and I barely notice it now. I've only shut it off when I'm freezing and the heater just barely got warmed up.

Back