best auto parts store parking lot to do a spark plug swap?

hey wondering what auto parts store has the best tools for loaner / free rental? planning to do a spark plug swap in the parking lot

thx!
The one and only time I needed to borrow tools, it was from Auto Zone, for a brake job on my old VW. At the time, they seemed to have a fairly thorough looking set of loaner tools. This was early 2000s so no idea what the situation is now.

The one and only time I needed to borrow tools, it was from Auto Zone, for a brake job on my old VW. At the time, they seemed to have a fairly thorough looking set of loaner tools. This was early 2000s so no idea what the situation is now.
I rented a radiator cap pressure test kit. They had a lot of expensive tools a few years ago but don't recall them lending out basic tools.

I rented a radiator cap pressure test kit. They had a lot of expensive tools a few years ago but don't recall them lending out basic tools.
From memory, it seems like you're right; the tools I recall them renting were the types of things the average Joe probably wouldn't have at home.

As far as I know they don’t loan out basic hand tools. I know people who work for two major chains they don’t usually loan stuff like that out it’s special tools and stuff. They may loan a spark plug socket out but probably not a ratchet and extension. You could do like my dad though and buy the tools then return them when you’re done. I could never do it but it’s an idea lol. But once I was at an Auto Zone and someone needed an 11mm wrench so employee grabbed it off the shelf and asked him not to take the tag hanger off it and he can just bring it back inside when he is done. They put it right back on the shelf all dirty lol.

I served time at AZ and the manager would let you use what we had in the tool box for changing battery's but and it was very basic stuff .....and that was only if you were broke down on a trip or stranded and had no other option and it had to be out at the edge if the lot......

Not the best thing changing plugs on a hot engine. Buy some tools.
Hot engine is fine - just use hand tools only.

Do you really think dealerships wait until your engine is cool before replacing spark plugs?

Hot engine is fine - just use hand tools only.

Do you really think dealerships wait until your engine is cool before replacing spark plugs?
Aluminum heads, I wouldn't change plugs on a hot engine. Only an idiot would use power tools to change plugs.

Do you honestly believe a dealership tech cares if some plug threads come out with the old plug? I highly doubt it.

Back