best auto parts store parking lot to do a spark plug swap?

In my area, most auto parts stores have a sign that says not to work on your vehicle in the parking lot.
Screenshot from 2023-10-09 08-55-20.jpg

I know of an AAP in the Bronx that have a few shade-tree mechanics set up out behind the store. You buy your parts and they'll replace them for you. Pretty lucrative business model, if you ask me.

Going back through the course of history, I wonder if anyone has changed a complete engine or transmission at an auto parts store parking lot.
Frieberger and Finnegan did it on Road Kill once. Swapped a small block in a 68 (or so) El Camino in Summit Racing's parking lot.

Frieberger and Finnegan did it on Road Kill once. Swapped a small block in a 68 (or so) El Camino in Summit Racing's parking lot.
I was going to post the video, but Youtube is blocked here at the office. But I'm not sure those old Roadkill videos are still up any more, anyway.

Probably one in a more run down/industrial area. I think most of them aren’t big fans of you working in the lot unless absolutely necessary since they probably get grief from the property owners about stuff like that. If you have to it’s probably best to park away from the front of the store as well so you don’t inconvenience customers.

Had a coolant sensor fail in a Mazda 5 (Maybe 2008 or so.) We were house hunting 8 hours from home (I was taking a new job.) Found the sensor at an AutoZone or a Napa. Can't remember which. They loaned me some tool to do it in the parking lot. It was inserted sideways, and low, so had quite a bit of coolant come out. Replaced it with some Peak global 50/50 they had. My plan was to change out the coolant when I got home, but I never did. No issues. Traded in the car a few years later.

I did once rent a spring compressor tool of death and a special tools brake kit (Needed that square caliper retraction thing-a-ma-bob.)

Back