best auto parts store parking lot to do a spark plug swap?

Nowadays, what difference does it make? If an establishment has a problem with it, they've got your entire duration there, recorded in 2160p. It isn't like they can't easily post a video on YouTube and dox a person.

When I lived in an apartment, I routinely went to Walmart to change my oil and rotate my tires in their parking lot. I got used to people panhandling and asking me if everything were ok. I once waxed my car in the parking lot of what is now Harbor Freight, and an elderly security guard came over. I was thinking, here we go.....when he reached me, he said, "Looks great!"

That made me think of two more encounters. Back when I got my hair cut at Great Clips, I park, get out, and some elderly security guard screams at me don't park there! ***? I dunno, so I move the car 5 spaces down. He comes over and screams at me again, we'll tow it! I was so livid I said buddy, you do what you have to do, I'm getting my hair cut. He then goes, "Oh, you're getting your hair cut? You can park here."

I remember being so upset I just kept walking, and he was shouting, "You can park here!"

I told my friend at work what happened, and he said oh, people park in that lot, and then they walk over to the swim club. He must have thought you were doing that. WTH?

Another one was at the self serve car wash. Even with my Maxima, it was hand wash only, man did I treat cars well (not anymore my wife's SUV and my LS have monthlies at the car wash). I lifted my hood to check something, and some geezer, who then was about my age now, was collecting quarters (this means it had to be 2002'ish), and he comes over and screams, "You better not be draining antifreeze!" Again, ***. Do you see jugs of distilled water and Prestone?

hey wondering what auto parts store has the best tools for loaner / free rental? planning to do a spark plug swap in the parking lot

thx!
Are you up to the task? if you don't have a basic tool kit, I am not so sure you know the ins and outs of changing plugs. Cleanliness is paramount; especially the plug insulators.

Do you have a Buick Apollo odd fire V6?

apollo.jpg

hey wondering what auto parts store has the best tools for loaner / free rental? planning to do a spark plug swap in the parking lot

thx!

At least at the big green auto parts store the loaner tool offerings includes specialty tools, not basic hand tools. Now, depending on the store, they might unofficially let you borrow a spark plug socket and ratchet if you ask nicely, but honestly, do you not have a ratchet, extension, and spark plug socket at home or the $30 to buy some?

By the way, official policy is that no working on vehicles is permitted in the parking lot. That said, that's not enforced unless you start disturbing others or making a mess.

Advance and O'Reillys have plenty of free tools. But the best thing to do is invest in a high quality socket wrench set.

If you're broke, I get it. You may want to order the parts over the phone with Advance and have them do a price match with Rockauto. At least that way you're not asking to have something for nothing.

You should do it to the side so that people don't see you on their way to the store's entrance. Buy the OEM spark plug brand, clean up if you need to come back later, and leave a 5 star review for the place that helps you.

Good luck!

Aluminum heads, I wouldn't change plugs on a hot engine. Only an idiot would use power tools to change plugs.

Do you honestly believe a dealership tech cares if some plug threads come out with the old plug? I highly doubt it.
It's common on 3V Tritons to deliberately get them hot then zip the plugs out with an impact. Less chance of breaking a plug. Thread damage....meh, maybe but doesn't seem to be a problem

Going back through the course of history, I wonder if anyone has changed a complete engine or transmission at an auto parts store parking lot.
When I worked for U-Haul 2 of us did an engine replacement (7.3L Idi diesel) in an afternoon at a Walmart parking lot.The engine came complete with belts, alternator etc. Just bolt in and put wires on.

Aluminum heads, I wouldn't change plugs on a hot engine. Only an idiot would use power tools to change plugs.

Do you honestly believe a dealership tech cares if some plug threads come out with the old plug? I highly doubt it.
Blazing hot engine and an impact wrench is exactly how you get ford 3 valve plugs out without breaking them.

• Love
Reactions: D60
Going back through the course of history, I wonder if anyone has changed a complete engine or transmission at an auto parts store parking lot.
Several years ago I saw a guy working on a car at Walmart. It looked like he was doing a head gasket. There were tools and parts scattered in about four parking spaces. I went back the next afternoon and it was gone. Except for the oil stains.

Back