Do you like sausages? Polish variants perhaps?

Nice! We have a polish deli a few towns over, I’ll need to check it out.

There is a long, skinny, dried polish sausage that I’ve gotten from a meat market I like (Barths in New Providence, NJ). Starts with a W, but I can’t recall what kind of polish sausage it is. They have the long skinny polish ones, some other fatter ones, and then landjägers just hanging out in the air like the one photo.

I tend to go for landjäger and teawurst and other German products myself, but as a Silesian, I’ve come to enjoy visiting Poland and their cuisine when I go overseas.

Last edited:
Nice! We have a polish deli a few towns over, I’ll need to check it out.

There is a long, skinny, dried polish sausage that I’ve gotten from a meat market I like (Barths in New Providence, NJ). Starts with a W, but I can’t recall what kind of polish sausage it is. They have the long skinny polish ones, some other fatter ones, and then landjägers just hanging out in the air like the one photo.

I tend to go for landjäger and teawurst and other German products myself, but as a Silesian, I’ve come to enjoy visiting Poland and their cuisine when I go overseas.
Skinny like this one? It's not really dry. It's smoked and peppery and delicious. Landjäger are raw, smoked and cured and resemble salami and they are very dry with a tough and papery skin. I have no idea what the skinny Polish sausage is called. They just lie there in a tray on the counter. They are made from pork and beef. They are softer and have a higher fat content than summer sausage. The fatty but stubbier sausage in the picture is a hunter's sausage. It's quite similar to the skinny one but it doesn't have the peppery flavor. I prefer the skinny one, which cost $2.30 vs the fat one which cost $5.

Last edited:
Our Polish neighborhood has several good sources of these sausages.
What 'everyone' calls kielbasa is what I'm duty bound to bring to a friend anytime. It is good stuff.
I believe it's so fresh and the turnover is so consistent, the added chemicals are minimized. I can't believe there are none.

ps Bedronka is the name of a food store chain in Poland. They've opened stores in the US. One irony is that the old Polish market which stood on the site had greens. The chain has none. People go to the big, new Shop-Rite for veggies.
The customers which must be lost are offset by those drawn in by the top quality, underpriced bread and rolls.

Skinny like this one? It's not really dry. It's smoked and peppery and delicious. Landjäger are raw, smoked and cured and resemble salami and they are very dry with a tough and papery skin. I have no idea what the skinny Polish sausage is called. They just lie there in a tray on the counter. They are made from pork and beef. They are softer and have a higher fat content than summer sausage. The fatty but stubbier sausage in the picture is a hunter's sausage. It's quite similar to the skinny one but it doesn't have the peppery flavor. I prefer the skinny one, which cost $2.30 vs the fat one which cost $5.
Looks very similar.

I probably used the term “dry” improperly. Comparing to some other cooked wurst, or something spreadable like teawurst, it’s “dry”. And because in the store it’s hanging there on a rack, it’s “dry” out in air. Wrong terms I’m sure…

I looked in my freezer. No remaining. I looked online and found this:

I think that may be it. Not sure I’ll be able to get to Barth’s this weekend (I can hope and try), but one of these days I will intend to get more.

If you are in Toronto and like Polish and eastern european sausages and food in general, Starsky grocery store is worth the visit. The sausage/smoked counter must be around 60-70' long, and that doesn't include the fresh meat counter. Sikorski sausage here in Ontario seems to make everything well, and they even get into some of my local grocery stores.
starskys meat counter.jpg

By the way, I'm not advising anyone to make sausage a daily food. As far as the nitrates, nitrates, nitric oxide, and nitrosamines are concerned, you can research benefits and risks. Consider that nitrates are abundant in plant matter and are converted through the process of nitrification into nitrites. If you eat a healthy quantity of plant matter you get lots of nitrates and nitrite. An occasional sausage is unlikely to cause your demise.

By the way, I'm not advising anyone to make sausage a daily food. As far as the nitrates, nitrates, nitric oxide, and nitrosamines are concerned, you can research benefits and risks. Consider that nitrates are abundant in plant matter and are converted through the process of nitrification into nitrites. If you eat a healthy quantity of plant matter you get lots of nitrates and nitrite. An occasional sausage is unlikely to cause your demise.
My Hungarian Grandparents grew up on that type of food and both lived into there early 90s....Maybe it was the way food was made back then vs today...

Don't tell the AHA. They might do a food questionnaire survey on your food practices.

My Hungarian Grandparents grew up on that type of food and both lived into there early 90s....Maybe it was the way food was made back then vs today...
I dare say it was a number of factors that contributed to your grandparents' long life.

Back