1995 Honda Odyssey (RA1)

20230707_215159_HDR-01.jpeg

New-to-me OG 1995 Honda Odyssey. It replaced the Hyundai Accent (which went on to a musician and now carries drum sets around the USA).
Ended up with some cash leftover from the whole deal, so can't complain there 🙂.

Bought the Odyssey in Raleigh and drove it to Charlotte. It almost made it...
- Vehicle Speed Sensor gave up the ghost 30mins from Charlotte, causing the speedometer to freak out, transmission start to throw codes, and a check engine light to top it all off. The van kept on going though, so a $100 DuraLast VSS was picked up before I got home that day. Installed it next morning and so far so good.
- All evidence points to this van sitting somewhere for a long time... Tires were so dry rotted that I fully expected them to blow any second, but they made it! Yay! Tried to find some Acura TL Type S "Waffles" on marketplace, but they seem to go for TE37 & RPF1 prices these days... So I found a set of these Acura TL wheels with new tires for $430. Another yay! These tires are larger than stock, but actually ended up correcting the speedometer speed VS GPS.
- The van has a fresh valve cover gasket, as well as new timing belt and water pump. Yay, don't have to worry about that for a while. Thanks previous owner.
- The biggest issue was the smell... I'm actively battling that with my "Little Green" extractor. Got the back half of the van done, smell is gone 85%, still gotta finish the front half.
- Initially the van was making the typical Honda smoke cloud under WOT. I approached that issue by draining the oil and refilling with 2 bottles (~1qt total) of STP Synthetic Engine flush and 3qts of Castrol Edge 10W-30. Ran that at idle for 30 mins. Drained, refilled with SuperTech 15W-40. After 100 miles drained that too and swapped the oil filter. Refilled with more SuperTech 15W-40. No more smoke clouds. Yay!
- Cruise Control didn't work, but a small adjustment on the brake light switch fixed it.
- Currently the van returns 20-21MPG, which is quite low apparently. I suspect a stuck OPEN thermostat is the issue, since the temp gauge never goes above the level on the picture below, over the last 500+ miles. So I'll swap the thermostat next I guess.
20230707_221027-01.jpeg
- Other issues are just these lights. Haven't tried to deal with them yet. SRS is always on. ABS comes and goes as it pleases. If you got any pointers, chime in below👇. Thanks!
20230707_221046.jpg
- This van is quite nice. (Only dads get to say this 😂) Needs a tint though, ASAP... Literally a fish bowl. But AC works to its best ability. Pretty acceptable, considering the age and technology.

Never thought I'd actually be excited about an AUTOMATIC 4-banger Honda from the 90s... But I am, at least for now:) I also now realize how much I missed cruise control.

Last edited:
Should be reliable once you give it a once over. My dad owned one for a time, it was extremely, painfully slow. That was my only complaint.

From my best memory, these original Odyssey's were Accord based from the chassis, suspension setup & drivetrain.
Front end is basically an Accord, rear suspension is its own thing though. Some JDM variants came with AWD.
Should be reliable once you give it a once over. My dad owned one for a time, it was extremely, painfully slow. That was my only complaint.
The long gearing makes it feel very slow, but when compared to everyone in traffic - it ain't that bad. (Spanked a 2018ish RAV4 from a red light last night.) Those non-VTEC 128hp put in work. Lol. But I come from a world of mopeds and scooters, so am no stranger to slow things. I find it adequate for my needs. Although I'm sure it would struggle greatly with 7 people inside while going over a long mountain pass. Thankfully I don't have such roads locally 😊

Last edited:
Bilstein used to make shocks for these cars, but I don't think they're still in production :cautious:

I don't think I've ever seen a first gen in person, These days I think I see more 99-04s than I do 05-10s.

Well, we all know how bad the transmissions are on the 99+ models :sneaky:

- Some 20% tint on the windows. Still a fishbowl, but now at least the AC feels properly cold.
- Some "H" logo center caps for the Acura wheels.
- Some Techron with fresh fuel in the gas tank.
- No oil top-offs needed on a 90's Honda with 200k!? I'll keep watching that dipstick like a hawk. Ain't no way...
20230711_185039_HDR-01.jpeg

"Today, I didn't even have to use my AK
I gotta say it was a good day!"

P.S. We now have a kiddie pool in the trunk. Courtesy of failed taillight gaskets, which let rain water in, and have been discontinued by Honda. I guess I gotta find a yoga mat, to cut some gaskets out of. Yay.

Last edited:
Bilstein used to make shocks for these cars, but I don't think they're still in production :cautious:

Well, we all know how bad the transmissions are on the 99+ models :sneaky:
I am still in shock of how many 99-04 models I still see roaming around. I live in an area very near a largely Hispanic corridor and it seems these families have snapped up every single last one of the running examples - I still see 4-5 of the 2nd generation on a daily basis and externally they look pretty dang good. Honestly they still catch my eye today and I still find them quite handsome, I was just getting into my driving years when these came out and I wanted one for MYSELF as a dang 16 year old. :ROFLMAO:

Now as a side note in the same area I also still see 2nd generation (1991-1995) Caravan/Voyager/Town & Country a couple times per week which just seems like its impossible but sure enough they are rattling right along. They are clapped the hell out but somehow they are still chugging along.

Isuzu Oasis-Had one of these.
IIRC, it had the 145 bhp VTEC 2.2. It was not a rocket ship but it wasn't slow and would happily cruise along in the young eighties.
More of a tall Accord wagon than a minivan, but pretty roomy considering its small size.
Also, not sure what old Hondas you've had, but our 200K+ '97 Accord would sometimes use a quart in 3K and sometimes none at all with no smoke ever.
Our '86 Civic wagons also never required adds out to 200K+, not that I would have noticed any consumption since I was still doing 3K drains for most of the time we had them.

Isuzu Oasis-Had one of these.
IIRC, it had the 145 bhp VTEC 2.2. It was not a rocket ship but it wasn't slow and would happily cruise along in the young eighties.
More of a tall Accord wagon than a minivan, but pretty roomy considering its small size.
Also, not sure what old Hondas you've had, but our 200K+ '97 Accord would sometimes use a quart in 3K and sometimes none at all with no smoke ever.
Our '86 Civic wagons also never required adds out to 200K+, not that I would have noticed any consumption since I was still doing 3K drains for most of the time we had them.
So far (1500 miles) oil level is sitting steady... Hopefully I didn't just jinxed it...

Back