Do you have a quarter, or a dollar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Panhandlers on every street corner around I10 here. I don't give them anything. Plenty of food kitchens where they can get a meal if hungry. Begging has gotten out of hand.

There is a homeless shelter near where I work, so I know that homeless people in the area have a place to go where they can sleep in safety and get fed.
Each day a number of these people walk to nearby intersections with their cardboard signs and beg.
A common scam in Ohio and probably elsewhere is for someone to approach you in a rest area asking for gas money because they either spent all of their money having their car repaired while on a trip or they lost their wallet.
Many make the mistake of letting you see them walking around with a phone.
I tell them that I can't help them but that they might try calling family or friends who I'm sure could assist them.
Sometimes people really are stranded, but if you can't afford to put a little fuel on the plastic that you claim you don't have, then maybe you should be on Greyhound on a return ticket.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

What do you mean how they allow it? There's really not much they can do. Supreme court has said pan handling is basically an exercise of people's 1st amendment rights.

Panhandling may be, but loitering is not. If they allow loitering, you will have pannies, if they pass a law against loitering, they can be arrested. If its California, its probably encouraged.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

What do you mean how they allow it? There's really not much they can do. Supreme court has said pan handling is basically an exercise of people's 1st amendment rights.

Panhandling may be, but loitering is not. If they allow loitering, you will have pannies, if they pass a law against loitering, they can be arrested. If its California, its probably encouraged.
illegal here but not enforced much. Had a guy standing by the drive through box this morning. Cop just happened to be in line so the bum left.

Last edited:
Around my work is a guy that changes corners but i still see him.
His sign says "Traveling and hungry"
I've been seeing him for over a year now.
He hasn't gotten very far.

Some are frauds, some are mentally ill and others just need money.

I give a bit of money on occasion and when I smoked (1 cig per day max) I used to give away balance of pack.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

The problem with those laws is that they usually get struck down because it infringes on first amendment rights. I think they can stop the ones in the street though. I see the cops shoo them away all the time. Sometimes they're a traffic hazard. Anyway the shooing doesn't really work as they just walk away and come back 2 minutes later.

It's illegal here but there's plenty of work to go around for law enforcement. The ones that are egrigious here take kids out in the 100°F geat from one parking lot to another, rotating around. Others approach you as you're getting into your car saying they need gas money, but have no vehicle in that parking lot.

I was shocked when we were in SF in 2010.

Yes there were people begging for money, but the guy in the miltary uniform on the other side of the road opposite the Bohemian Club offered to make change to whatever we could afford.

At waikiki in 2014, my wife was talking to a family on the street about the "street swags" that are getting given to homeless here in Oz (and there ARE genuinley homelss people who are working low end jobs).

The woman said they couldn't afford to have one, it would impact too much on people's generosity if they thought that these people were somewhat comfortable...they'd sell it and keep the cardboard box.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Since We now have legal recreational weed, loser stoner lazy unemployable potheads from all over the world have moved to Colorado Springs; the entire westside of town is littered with panhandlers and if you walk down the sidewalk in Manitou, you'll get solicited at least once for money.

If one held up a sign saying I need money to smoke weed, I might actually give him a dime since he's not lying!

I never understand this logic- so please explain.

Example, if I am interrogated for murder and say I didnt do it- noone believes me and I get tried anyhow. If I say I did do it, they see it as the truth and I go straight to the clink.

Is one limited to only lying about certain things all the while some truths are never to be believed?

I don't give, it only encourages them to take the easy way out and avoid doing any kind of work that would actually contribute to society.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I don't give, it only encourages them to take the easy way out and avoid doing any kind of work that would actually contribute to society.

Problem is that for the system to work, they need to be there begging...there needs to be a structural level of unemployment that achieves a bunch of goals for the good of the economy.
* It encourages you to go to/find work
* It encourages you to put up with stuff at work that you don't want to, as the alternative is to be like them.
* It keeps wages down similarly

But the system will ensure that even if 100% of everybody wanted to work, be part of a productive society and "pull their weight"...5-6% of them will be benched at any given time.

And you could be one of them, so tow the line.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I see them and wonder in amazement how they allow it every time I visit my son in San Diego. It's a beautiful place, the climate is great, and as much as I hate Long Island I'd never want to live there. At least the homeless people here aren't running rampant. I'll never give them money, I donate to the poor at Church and let the Church distribute it as they see fit.

I was at the train station once eating lunch and some guy came up to me asking for bus money as he was stranded in town. I told him to go to traveler's aid which is right across the street, they help stranded travelers. He didn't know what to make of that and then just moved on to another table with the same story.

Remember, if you're homeless, you'd be home now.

Times are changing. I remember when Giuliani was NYC mayor, he cleaned it up real good. Maybe CA can follow what he did.
wink.gif
Come to think of it NY should do it again too.

I see them and wonder in amazement how they allow it every time I visit my son in San Diego. It's a beautiful place, the climate is great, and as much as I hate Long Island I'd never want to live there. At least the homeless people here aren't running rampant. I'll never give them money, I donate to the poor at Church and let the Church distribute it as they see fit.

I was at the train station once eating lunch and some guy came up to me asking for bus money as he was stranded in town. I told him to go to traveler's aid which is right across the street, they help stranded travelers. He didn't know what to make of that and then just moved on to another table with the same story.

Times are changing. I remember when Giuliani was NYC mayor, he cleaned it up real good. Maybe CA can follow what he did.
wink.gif

I think he tried to clean up the streets, but during his administration, the number of homeless continued to climb, he didn't reduce it. I'm not sure if it was him, but a lot of those attempts were shut down by the courts.

wink.gif

I think he tried to clean up the streets, but during his administration, the number of homeless continued to climb, he didn't reduce it. I'm not sure if it was him, but a lot of those attempts were shut down by the courts.

Not sure how he did it or what he did but it worked. There were rumors he bused them to NJ. lol

US unemployment is now around 3.8% as is typical of our economy in a maturing expansion.
There are plenty of low end jobs available that'll cover the basics for anyone who wants one.
One of the classic indicators of a tight labor market can now be seen in the help wanted signs posted everywhere for entry level low skilled workers.
There is a concept known as the non inflation accelerating rate of unemployment, but putting a numeric value to that concept has proven elusive, since wage rates and labor markets are not a casual factor in inflation as it's defined.
As has always been the case, anyone with skills and credentials can get a job while in a robust economy even those without either can easily find paying work.
Homelessness is more a product of mental illness and chronic uncontrolled substance abuse than it is one of a lack of job opportunities or some hidden systemic bias that ensures a plentiful supply of potential workers condemned through their lack of employment to live as beggars on the streets.

I've see it happen to women as they are loading groceries into their cars at a particular supermarket by me . The store has gone downhill over the past few years .

Another thing that is not right is when people ask for money right by ATM machines as customers are using them .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sleepery
I've see it happen to women as they are loading groceries into their cars at a particular supermarket by me . The store has gone downhill over the past few years .

Another thing that is not right is when people ask for money right by ATM machines as customers are using them .

They all like to hang out around various stores in the center of town. Seems like ever few stores there's one of them hanging out. They like to open the door to a store like 7-11 and ask you for change when you leave.

It's worse when they're in the ATM sleeping. Usually the ATM owners hire security guards to flush them out.

Kind of reminds me of so many mom and pop type places that have tip jars sitting on the counter. Most indy pizza or ice cream places have these. I mean you're coming into to pick up a pizza and there's a tip jar with singles, sometimes twenties in it. Seems a bit awkward. One place rings a bell and all the employees yell THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back