Never ending project, a 9 year journey

This is a Slant arm Morris chair that I began 9 years ago. I have a very tiny basement workshop and used primarily hand tools to get this far. I was naive and ambitious and loved woodworking since I was a kid but I severely underestimated the difficulty of hand planing and cutting mortises in Quarter sawn white oak. It’s hard to believe that I started this project before my son was born and now he spends hours down here using my scraps to “build” projects of his own. He is now 7 and I love working with him even if at times he cuts some of my good stuff and misplaces my tools, I am also guilty of the same. After stepping away from this project for months at a time I finally got rededicated and decided to make it ours and forget making it perfect.

Anyone else have a forever project they are working on?
image.jpg

This is a Slant arm Morris chair that I began 9 years ago. I have a very tiny basement workshop and used primarily hand tools to get this far. I was naive and ambitious and loved woodworking since I was a kid but I severely underestimated the difficulty of hand planing and cutting mortises in Quarter sawn white oak. It’s hard to believe that I started this project before my son was born and now he spends hours down here using my scraps to “build” projects of his own. He is now 7 and I love working with him even if at times he cuts some of my good stuff and misplaces my tools, I am also guilty of the same. After stepping away from this project for months at a time I finally got rededicated and decided to make it ours and forget making it perfect.

Anyone else have a forever project they are working on? View attachment 200465
Look, you were just a kid when you started this project! ;)

Back