DIY oil changes and migraines

Yesterday my Neurologist informed me that used motor oil exposure most likely triggers my migraines. We've based this on an excel like study taking into account diet, activities and meteorological factors.

As part of her recommendations, I was advised to stop DIY oil changes. These episodes which can last between one to three days are so debilitating that I will follow the recommendation, instead visiting the local VIOC, taking my oils for use.

Hopefully this works as I'll make that tradeoff any day. Anyone else suffer from migraines here?

Sorry to hear about your migraines.

Once you begin your VIOC routine, would the simple act of checking your oil also cause a problem or is the exposure minimal compared to an oil and filter change?

@wemay If after abstaining from DIY changes and the headaches persist, will you go back to DIY? They don't call it "practicing medicine" for nothing.

I realize this is a motor oil site, I've been around here for quite a while, and I don't mess with oil changes anymore either.

The past few years I have been trying my best to keep away from envirormental concerns, chemical exposure, and the like. If I do something, I always wear gloves. Consistent exposure to petroleum products is not something I will do anymore.

If you have valvoline in your area, search oil change coupon on google you will usually find a coupon for them. Been using them for years.

If you have valvoline in your area, search oil change coupon on google you will usually find a coupon for them. Been using them for years.
What does a change cost with full synthetic? What filters do they use?

Going a step further on the fumes suggestion, have you gotten migraines after exposure to fumes from other petroleum sources? Gasoline? Solvents?
Nope, never. At least that i can recall and have charted.

Sorry to hear about your migraines.

Once you begin your VIOC routine, would the simple act of checking your oil also cause a problem or is the exposure minimal compared to an oil and filter change?
Thank you,

I check my oil weekly and its never coincided with that. So i have serious doubts that would be a contributing factor. I just won't smell the dipstick.

I grew up with headaches. My triggers are MSG and chocolate.
These trigger my wife’s migraines. Also the smell of onions and any bright flashing lights. Those headache are horrible. The worst headache she ever had was after eating M&Ms. Such an innocent act led to intense pain for several days.

Nope, never. At least that i can recall and have charted.

I am starting to question the oil as a cause. Something else is triggering your headaches. I would look for commonalities especially if you get headaches doing other things.

Of course, I’m not a doctor.

Sounds like allergic reaction so yeah, I would stop any contact with motor oil and see how that goes. Eliminate one factor at a time.

I also wear gloves for oil changes and never use brake cleanr or engine de-greaser to clean the oil pan or other components afterwards if some oil got spilled on them. I just wipe the oil with a rag. The less you expose yourself to these chemicals the better. There is nothing macho about not protecting yourself.

If it turns out that no more DIY oil changes = no more migraines, that seems like a reasonable choice to make.
I hope this works out for you and that merely visiting VIOC for service will be the end of your debilitating headaches.

If it turns out that no more DIY oil changes = no more migraines, that seems like a reasonable choice to make.
I hope this works out for you and that merely visiting VIOC for service will be the end of your debilitating headaches.
You hit it on the nose. If this is the cause, i will have zero issue visiting VIOC as a result.

Backwards logic... VIOC cured my migraines. Lol

I am starting to question the oil as a cause. Something else is triggering your headaches. I would look for commonalities especially if you get headaches doing other things.

Of course, I’m not a doctor.

We've been charting all my activities, habits etc., for years. This is the closest nexus to date. Honestly, i hope it is the trigger so i can move on with the rest of my life knowing and being able to avoid them.

Look up cluster headaches. I have them and it effects one eye, never both.
Had cluster headaches for 25 years: they stopped in my mid fifties. For some people, a trigger may be lack of oxygen, high altitude. Only successful abortive med was sumitriptan injections: worked in 20 minutes, every time.

I hope not since I live at 9000 feet! What stopped mine was fish oil, It's been over 3 years now since I had one, and I've had them for over 30 years.

Seems like a strange factor for causing migraines.

Do you bathe in the oil?

I do my changes outside. I can barely smell the oil if at all. Usually I’m pretty good at avoiding any skin contact.

Id think it is more the muscle strain if you’re doing it on your back, than the oil fumes. It’s (hopefully) not like you’re ingesting oil…

Sounds like allergic reaction so yeah, I would stop any contact with motor oil and see how that goes. Eliminate one factor at a time.

I also wear gloves for oil changes and never use brake cleanr or engine de-greaser to clean the oil pan or other components afterwards if some oil got spilled on them. I just wipe the oil with a rag. The less you expose yourself to these chemicals the better. There is nothing macho about not protecting yourself.
I use window cleaner with paper towels for cleanup during O.C. ( block , pan , drain plug , ground , etc.) and after ( Pail , oil filters , funnels , etc. ) . Breaks down motor oil very well . It also does good job of removing the yellowing of headlights along with water to rinse it off and then apply wax to them .

Last edited:
Back