DIY oil changes and migraines

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Yesterday my Neurologist informed me that used motor oil exposure most likely triggers my migraines. We've based this on an excel like study taking into account diet, activities and meteorological factors.

As part of her recommendations, I was advised to stop DIY oil changes. These episodes which can last between one to three days are so debilitating that I will follow the recommendation, instead visiting the local VIOC, taking my oils for use.

Hopefully this works as I'll make that tradeoff any day. Anyone else suffer from migraines here?

Not sure, I've had some headaches that, if left alone, will feel like a spike being driven into one eyeball and out the back of my head. Ibuprofen and Sudafed tames it though, if I get them early enough, so I'm never sure if it's migraine or sinus.

Sorry to hear of the problem, sounds like this is best bet. I do wonder, is it fumes or absorption through skin? Do you wear gloves when doing auto work, or maybe you didn't in the past but do now?

Regardless, if giving up on oil changes gets rid of migraines... a no brainer solution.

Yup, always wear gloves. Not sure if it's fumes or the incidental skin contact.

I wish OTC drugs worked for me. I'm currently taking Vasograin on onset.

Last edited:
I’d just wear gloves when doing it. It’s strange you would get migraines after exposure to oil. I don’t get migraines except very rarely. But I also wear gloves and wash my skin as soon as possible if oil or any chemicals touch it.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, after 22yrs of working on NAVY aircraft oils and fuel and doing all my oil changes, I hate wearing gloves when doing mechanical work, feel like I lose some feelings and grip, only time I've worn gloves was when doing some really heavy maintenance, engine, gearbox and prop changes, hope everything works out for you. ;)

Had migraines regularly when I was growing up. After age 25 or so they gradually went away. Have only had four or five since then, I can tell you if anyone had told me that a particular thing was bringing them on I would have gladly eliminated that thing. Those headaches are horrible. Paine plus nausea, can't stand bright lights, can't stand even a cat walking across the room.

Not a migraine but..
I developed a hyper sensitivity to brake cleaner and other solvents.
Large open blisters.
Carb cleaner seems to be fine but I still try to limit my exposure.

Yesterday my Neurologist informed me that used motor oil exposure most likely triggers my migraines. We've based this on an excel like study taking into account diet, activities and meteorological factors.

As part of her recommendations, I was advised to stop DIY oil changes. These episodes which can last between one to three days are so debilitating that I will follow the recommendation, instead visiting the local VIOC, taking my oils for use.

Hopefully this works as I'll make that tradeoff any day. Anyone else suffer from migraines here?
Sorry to hear that. Solvents and VOCs can give me a bad headache. I use a 3M respirator and gloves when using brake keen in particular.

Wow, glad you found a way out.

I'd probably go with a respirator and box fan. But imagine the mess of oil dribbling out, catching the breeze like that! Throw in some of those fomoto valves with the nipple for a hose that goes into a container I guess.

I usually get a headache when i tense my neck and back and crawl around down there straining myself a bit. I now take my time doing oil changes and bought an extending ratchet so i do a bit less work taking the bolt off. These gm plugs have a seal built into them, no crush washer just tighten a bit more than normal. I don't wear gloves and the smell doesn't bother me.

Wow, glad you found a way out.

I'd probably go with a respirator and box fan. But imagine the mess of oil dribbling out, catching the breeze like that! Throw in some of those fomoto valves with the nipple for a hose that goes into a container I guess.
send a PM if you want - I may have a couple suggestions to talk about with your MD. there is a lot of bro science out there regarding headaches and migraines.

Long time migraine sufferer. I can safely say in my case they are not due to oil changes, spark plug changes, or other automotive mechanical work. Also, not diet related. I've kept charts, logs, etc., and about the only thing conclusive is that so far, no triggers have been found. For me, 100 mg of Sumatriptan works the best for killing migraines.

Not that strange, I keep all the solvents and cleaners out of the garage because of the smell it leaves inside the garage: Asthma problems.

The other option is to buy a cabinet that you can actually vent to the outside, similar to an exhaust fan. We had those at work but mainly used on flammable solvents and are not cheap.

Back