Differential breather

So when I had a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport with AWD I became very familiar with draining and filling the PTU (effectively an undersized transfer case), with the refill happening through the vent hose. This vehicle had a very interested breather element which appeared to be an extruded PTFE (teflon) unit. I like this. Allows for vapor/gas permeation while fulling preventing water and liquid ingress. Has anybody seen these available anywhere? Our 2018 F150 rear differential vent lacks any type of breather and is literally just an open hose sticking up from the axle housing. Yes, I could probably find the traditional style breather but I'd happily pay a few bucks more for this fancy PTFE style! I'll try to find a pick but the Explorer is long gone and so is the particular smart phone I had back then.

It is out of sight anyway … why not buy hose, pull ties, and a clear fuel filter ? (lawn tractor filter)

Surely they make them too - my Rubicon is rated to ford 30” - so the hose goes up - turns 90 degrees - and has an end piece to block water/dust off the tires etc …

Google up Jeep stuff on this … most common for them …

That teflon coated screen is quite interesting. This is the first time that I've ever heard of it used in a breather, and I think it's ingenius!
We used these screens all the time in the service as fuel/water seperators in the jet fuel filters. Later on in the oil industry, they were used for not only that, but in oil/water seperators which allowed oil to be removed from the surface of underground tanks used as loading rack drains, as well as general surface water runoff.

The screens will not let water pass through, but oil/gasoline will. They can be cleaned with water and a brush, but I don't think you are supposed to use any detergents on them. Maybe something very mild could be used, like Ivory liquid, but need to be rinsed very thoroughly afterward.

Yup, I thought it was a pretty cool idea when I saw it on the exploder, too. Can't seem to find the pic I took of it, its probably out there somewhere I know I made a similar post a few years backs. Anyways, maybe I'll call up the Ford dealer and see how much they would sell one for.

Back