Dexos2 for GTDI engines (EcoBoost, GM, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KevinP
Originally Posted by metroplex
I'm also expecting the OEM spec to keep the engine running within "spec" for the factory warranty. Beyond that, they wouldn't have to care. Seeing/hearing about the number of timing chain failures on EcoBoost makes me wonder about the Ford spec.

How do you think it impacts their potential future customers if the product fails directly out of warranty? I know how it would impact me. I wouldn't buy another and I suspect that is the case for most consumers.

I know a number of engineers who work at Ford/GM. They really have the intention of designing solid products. They won't jeopardize their brand by calling out a lubricant that they don't feel gives it a good chance of making it through it's design lifespan and that span is significantly longer than the warranty.

Off topic, but it hit on something I know about. Ford didn't even bother to program the shift schedules correctly on the 2017-2018 Explorers and Police Interceptor Utility. The Sport mode was a copy and paste of the Normal drive mode, whereas every other Ford with Sport Mode has a different scheduling where you can keep the gear at a higher RPM, etc... My 2018 Explorer factory programming was so bad that it would constantly hunt on the freeway. After looking carefully at the shift schedule curves, it was all jacked up. Upshift and downshift curves criss-crossed when they aren't supposed to do that. I had to rebuild the Sport mode shift schedule and double-check the scheduling elsewhere.

As for leasing vs buying, talking to people that I know who work at dealerships, not many people are buying new vehicles. Most are leases. I'd be surprised if it were a 50/50 split here. I'm not sure about other regions of the US, etc... but in SE MI, a lot of people are hot swapping every 2-3 years. That's why I rarely see a lot of older Explorers on the road. Almost all of them are 2016-up with the majority 2018-2019s (due to the oval exhaust tips). And the kicker is that the person who lost the timing chains at 48k miles on their Explorer went ahead and leased a 2019 Explorer even after I explained to all the nuances with the transverse 3.5, their justification was that they are going to wait 2-3 years for the CD6 Explorer to have its bugs fixed and use the 2019 as a disposable vehicle in the meantime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back