Detroit 2...Pace car oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I think the most important take-away from all of this is that was the last IndyCar race that will be on ABC. At one time they had great coverage, but I am so thankful I won't have to listen to Eddie Cheever and Scott Goodyear again.

I won't miss ABC one bit.

But, I think it would actually be fun to converse with Cheever. He may stink as a broadcaster, but I think he would be an interesting guy to talk to, especially if he could be engaged and rebutted in direct conversation.

Perhaps, like Brundle, he may just not be able to bring forth his knowledge and experience in a way that engages an audience, and part of that may be do to his producers at ABC, who obviously aimed for a broader audience of neophytes and not race fans.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
FWIW, he isn't new to performance driving: "A lifelong auto enthusiast, Reuss is a certified industry pool test driver on the North Course of the Nürburgring Motorsport Racetrack in Germany, and is licensed for FIA C and IMSA Road Racing. His first car was a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro, which he bought and restored himself."

He's also been the head of their performance division in the past, so I'm sure he is aware of their traction/stability control systems.

I think the real lesson is that these things happen to the best of us. I think a lot of drivers, myself included, get to a point where they feel extremely comfortable on track, that nothing bad is going to happen, etc. Then it does.

Yes, this. Great drivers make bonehead moves from time to time.

Juan Montoya hit the track drier at Daytona under caution.
Mario Andretti hit a race car that had stopped on track and had been there for many laps.
Mark Martin was going to win a Grand National race, but pulled into the pits a lap too early, thereby losing the race.
Roberto Guerrero crashed from pole position on the warmup lap at Indy in '92 while warming up his tires.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

In Juan's defense if I remember correctly a truck/trailing arm broke or became undone at the worst possible time.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

In Juan's defense if I remember correctly a truck/trailing arm broke or became undone at the worst possible time.

Chevrolet the heartbreak of America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back