New Porsche ... Well, Wifey Did It!

We caught the allocation at the very last moment to make minor changes, but the vehicle was almost exactly what she wanted. The paint pic was prob about the time we were talking to the Dealer. The car came with rear seats, but apparently the Dealer can remove them, but we still have a high schooler so they may come in handy.

The local dealer had ordered this 'on spec' and, luckily for her, was pretty much spot on. We had talked to several dealers over two months, then we got a heads up from one saying this slot was open. The t's are very hard to come by, heck all new 911's are, so unless you got one already in process, your local dealer may not get a slot for this year. Crazy market for these...

Pricing was decent, considering, the Dealer was fair and pleasant to deal with. Funny, we did some research and came across some interesting info. like one dealer that mandated a $150K floor (meaning you had to add options to your 911 until you hit the 'minimum'), and a story of another that required you to buy a silly $ Porsche watch with a 911...say it again, crazy. Cannot see why anyone would tolerate that. A reasonable ADMU is one thing, but ridiculous minimums and watches? There are 197 other dealers in the US, get on the 'phone...
I forget but long ago they said a 911 can be configured in some unbelievable number of possible combinations. I wonder, how many folks out there don't know what is meant by allocation, and, how many have never ordered a vehicle?

I did this with the 2007 335i, and probably today most would find it hard to believe such a car was ordered from the factory. But back then, whenever a new 3 coupe came out, there were none available from lots, they were ordered.

I hope the 911 will always be that way. Yes, I'm living vicariously thorough you and your wife hahahahahaha

(I went to an event when the 991 was launched and a gentleman told me he's had five of them--he felt the sweet spot was 3-5 y.o. used. I am not sure but maybe today? They are daily driven more. His notion was many are garaged for much of their lives and so compelling to get used)

I forget but long ago they said a 911 can be configured in some unbelievable number of possible combinations. I wonder, how many folks out there don't know what is meant by allocation, and, how many have never ordered a vehicle?

I did this with the 2007 335i, and probably today most would find it hard to believe such a car was ordered from the factory. But back then, whenever a new 3 coupe came out, there were none available from lots, they were ordered.

I hope the 911 will always be that way. Yes, I'm living vicariously thorough you and your wife hahahahahaha

(I went to an event when the 991 was launched and a gentleman told me he's had five of them--he felt the sweet spot was 3-5 y.o. used. I am not sure but maybe today? They are daily driven more. His notion was many are garaged for much of their lives and so compelling to get used)
Most 911's have been very configurable, but the 911t not as much which is fine. Configurable to the point where Porsche offers their Sonderwunsch program, which truly customizes the car, however certain programs are now being limited due to capacity constraints, the same situation affecting allocations.

The 3-5 year is the sweet spot for most models, except for the very few that are sold w/ silly markups and increase in value. 2-4 is how we have bought our others, except for the 993. Took a bit of a gamble w/ residual values on this with it being the last of the 'analog' (as much as it can be) dash 911's and hybrid's being introduced into the 911 line. Either way, get the feeling that this is the last of a generation of 911's.

Tell us more about the BMW.

Arrived and had its sanctioned chip containing gateway module replaced at the Dealer (recent VW cars were held at ports or dealers pending replacement of some electronics from sanctioned sources). I looked all around and no evidence of sloppy work or other issues with the work. We handed over the check and the car wasn't fully prepped yet, but we got to take it out for a bit.

The experience: Amazingly fun, feels 'small', you really strap this car on, which is great and even though you are sitting in a bit of a black hole, visibility is good and all key controls are almost perfectly placed. The pedals are near perfect, clutch could use a bit more 'feel', but I'm comparing it to the old, truly analog toys. Brakes are some of the best I've driven, powerful but not over boosted or touchy (as in a Golf R). Went to an empty, open lot and had some careful (new engine, cold tires, cool weather) fun and the car surprisingly broke traction momentarily with just brisk but not at all aggressive acceleration. Made a mental note of that...and pointed out to Wife...it is her car.

Driving, it is much louder than I expected, especially the tire and general running noise as the thinner glass and reduced sound deadening make a difference. Enjoyable, but I can see the sound level being a bit fatiguing on very long drives, it was that noticeable. The exhaust sounds great even without the 'sport' mode engaged. The ride was also surprisingly stiff, and you get jostled on bad pavement, however there were no, absolutely none, rattles or squeaks.

Gripes? None yet. Well one; I think start/stop is stupid and dangerous on manual transmission cars. Things to get used to? The 7 speed gate is very tight and selecting 5/7 requires a conscious and deliberate effort.

Wifey made a good choice!
CTN320241.jpg

Last edited:
Arrived and had its sanctioned chip containing gateway module replaced at the Dealer (recent VW cars were held at ports or dealers pending replacement of some electronics from sanctioned sources). I looked all around and no evidence of sloppy work or other issues with the work. We handed over the check and the car wasn't fully prepped yet, but we got to take it out for a bit.

The experience: Amazingly fun, feels 'small', you really strap this car on, which is great and even though you are sitting in a bit of a black hole, visibility is good and all key controls are almost perfectly placed. The pedals are near perfect, clutch could use a bit more 'feel', but I'm comparing it to the old, truly analog toys. Brakes are some of the best I've driven, powerful but not over boosted or touchy (as in a Golf R). Went to an empty, open lot and had some careful (new engine, cold tires, cool weather) fun and the car surprisingly broke traction momentarily with just brisk but not at all aggressive acceleration. Made a mental note of that...and pointed out to Wife...it is her car.

Driving, it is much louder than I expected, especially the tire and general running noise as the thinner glass and reduced sound deadening make a difference. Enjoyable, but I can see the sound level being a bit fatiguing on very long drives, it was that noticeable. The exhaust sounds great even without the 'sport' mode engaged. The ride was also surprisingly stiff, and you get jostled on bad pavement, however there were no, absolutely none, rattles or squeaks.

Gripes? None yet. Well one; I think start/stop is stupid and dangerous on manual transmission cars. Things to get used to? The 7 speed gate is very tight and selecting 5/7 requires a conscious and deliberate effort.

View attachment 207550
Thats gorgeous .

View attachment 207550
I love the wheel color on the T cars. If you need touch up ever, it is 0C6 Titan Dunkel Met.

I've been wondering when it was going to arrive. Well worth the wait. Faster than I would have thought. What options did you select again? I remember you mentioned the headlights but forget the other selections.

That color is certainly an attention getter - in a good way. Beautiful car. Don't forget to get it out and beat it up at least monthly ;)

Back