American Airlines And United Airlines Want Chicago O'Hare Expansion To Slow Down

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Not so sure this is a surprise. 8.7 Billion project, overruns already bring the budget over 12 billion. Very unfriendly and unsafe business environment.

The most eye opening words in the article "Permanently Halted".
With Chicago O'Hare pushing ahead with its ambitious O'Hare 21 expansion plans, the airport's two biggest carriers - American and United - are reportedly lobbying for the expansion pace to be slowed down, or even permanently halted.

Because of location and runway configurations, ORD should be the USA largest hub. Corruption will likely lead ORD to be a hub primarily for regional aircraft. How sad. Maybe UAL and AA will slowly exit ORD and the gates replaced by Allegient and Frontier. Of note, AA actually has left ORD using certain measurements when comparing to AA's other hubs.

American Airlines inherited a newly-expanded airport in St. Louis when they merged with TWA, but they promptly scaled back St. Louis as a hub making that expansion (and all those hundreds of homes razed) totally unnecessary. But now they want an expansion here cancelled? How ironic.

Maybe they can make STL the new hub in place of ORD?

This likely has something to do with Southwest moving in, they are out of room at MDW. The same thing is occurring at IAH. They are also planning to begin using DFW next year (I hate DFW!).

This likely has something to do with Southwest moving in, they are out of room at MDW. The same thing is occurring at IAH. They are also planning to begin using DFW next year (I hate DFW!).
Observations suggest competition is not the reason for UA and AA request to permeantly halt construction at ORD.

Observation does suggest the reason does start with the letter C and does end in tion.

SWA flying out of DFW is a direct reflection of AAs massive debt. AA has double the debt per passenger miles flown than DL and UA. SWA is the rockstar of the four, with zero net debt.

Hard for AA to compete with any airline with such large debt to service, and to compete against SWA is still moky not a fair fight with swa being debt free.

And of note, I am typing this from DFW right now aboard a AA 319.

PXL_20231129_221809153.jpg

Well, none of that solves the "windy" city being windy and fixing the roller coaster vomit festival coasting into Chicago. Fix what is important people!! I want to keep down the wine and not kill the buzz!!

Observations suggest competition is not the reason for UA and AA request to permeantly halt construction at ORD.

Observation does suggest the reason does start with the letter C and does end in tion.

SWA flying out of DFW is a direct reflection of AAs massive debt. AA has double the debt per passenger miles flown than DL and UA. SWA is the rockstar of the four, with zero net debt.

Hard for AA to compete with any airline with such large debt to service, and to compete against SWA is still moky not a fair fight with swa being debt free.

And of note, I am typing this from DFW right now aboard a AA 319.

View attachment 190808
Any facts? Corruption is a word that everyone not happy with something is using!

like the airport, hate the weather.

Any facts? Corruption is a word that everyone not happy with something is using!
"A study published by the University of Illinois Chicago in 2022 ranked Illinois as the second most corrupt state in the nation, with 4 out of the last 11 governors serving time in prison."

I could spend hours posting about the corruption. One example is a City of Chicago Attorney that was working this deal, left their job as the attorney working the deal and became a lobbysit for United Airlines, with the mission of this deal.

On a indirect note, attorney and indicted alderman for decades Ed Burke, is married to the chief justice of the Illinois Supreme Court. Can't make this stuff up. In addition, the man that "ran" the state for many decades until just a few years ago is also under indictment, and the most interesting part is this man never ever used a cell phone or email- ever.

If the two big players at ORD are calling for a rethink of the airport plan, maybe they should be given heed.
ORD is an okay connecting airport, although on a recent international arrival, the customs and immigration area was a total shambles and was inexcusable for any airport outside of the third world. Better planning should have been used and the new facility either built in parallel or a decent temporary area been constructed.
For connections in the US, nothing beats ATL and DFW was not intended to be a connecting airport and you'll learn this when you have to connect there.
Major US airports are simply not at the same level as those in other countries.

If the two big players at ORD are calling for a rethink of the airport plan, maybe they should be given heed.
ORD is an okay connecting airport, although on a recent international arrival, the customs and immigration area was a total shambles and was inexcusable for any airport outside of the third world. Better planning should have been used and the new facility either built in parallel or a decent temporary area been constructed.
For connections in the US, nothing beats ATL and DFW was not intended to be a connecting airport and you'll learn this when you have to connect there.
Major US airports are simply not at the same level as those in other countries.
I fly many US airports, often 8-12 flights per week when I am in CONUS. I just departed DFW and am typing this on a flight. ORD is a road warriors secret GEM airport, for dozens of reasons. Casual fliers may not see the many benefits of connecting at ORD over ATL, DFW, CLT, etc.

ORD has been mismanaged, especially its INTL terminal for much of the last decade. The plan was as you stated they should do, but leadership and related corruption prevents the execution of the plan. Thus why a 8.5 Billion dollar project is now over $12 Billion, and if it was to be completed, would likely be 30 Billion and ten plus years behind schedule.

I fly many US airports, often 8-12 flights per week when I am in CONUS. I just departed DFW and am typing this on a flight. ORD is a road warriors secret GEM airport, for dozens of reasons. Casual fliers may not see the many benefits of connecting at ORD over ATL, DFW, CLT, etc.

ORD has been mismanaged, especially its INTL terminal for much of the last decade. The plan was as you stated they should do, but leadership and related corruption prevents the execution of the plan. Thus why a 8.5 Billion dollar project is now over $12 Billion, and if it was to be completed, would likely be 30 Billion and ten plus years behind schedule.
We fly nothing close to as much as you do, so I'm curious as to why you favor ORD.
We've always found it okay and we've been through it a number of times over the years.
Please elucidate what makes it your preference.
If this is too far OT, PM me.

They want a nice airport. Every city wants a nice modern airport.

Established big businesses don't like change. They work hard to move the government to act in their favor. A standard tactic is to claim that what they want is also in the interest of the little guy consumer. It rarely is.

They want a nice airport. Every city wants a nice modern airport.

Established big businesses don't like change. They work hard to move the government to act in their favor. A standard tactic is to claim that what they want is also in the interest of the little guy consumer. It rarely is.
This^^^^^^^^^^^
Many times a lay over is a travelers only impression they get for a City/area.

"A study published by the University of Illinois Chicago in 2022 ranked Illinois as the second most corrupt state in the nation, with 4 out of the last 11 governors serving time in prison."

I could spend hours posting about the corruption. One example is a City of Chicago Attorney that was working this deal, left their job as the attorney working the deal and became a lobbysit for United Airlines, with the mission of this deal.

On a indirect note, attorney and indicted alderman for decades Ed Burke, is married to the chief justice of the Illinois Supreme Court. Can't make this stuff up. In addition, the man that "ran" the state for many decades until just a few years ago is also under indictment, and the most interesting part is this man never ever used a cell phone or email- ever.
Have you checked corruption in Texas? Alabama?
I am asking you about corruption in this specific case! United has a big operation in Houston, and Houston is the benchmark for corruption. What about corruption in Dallas where AA is headquartered?
If both companies are saying: this is because of corruption in Chicago, yeah, issue is elsewhere.

American Airlines inherited a newly-expanded airport in St. Louis when they merged with TWA, but they promptly scaled back St. Louis as a hub making that expansion (and all those hundreds of homes razed) totally unnecessary. But now they want an expansion here cancelled? How ironic.

Maybe they can make STL the new hub in place of ORD?
STL is in a very poor geographic location to be a hub for anything but intra-continental flights.

This^^^^^^^^^^^
Many times a lay over is a travelers only impression they get for a City/area.
Businesses like predictability. Project like this is moving a lot of parts. UAL and AA have to protect shareholders and ORD has to protect interests of city=citizens of Chicago.

Reactions: CKN
Back