Detroit 2...Pace car oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the repair bill out of his paycheck! Obviously he cant drive a corvette responsibly
frown.gif

That car took the hit like a champ IMO.

Fun fact: I recently learned that their hoods as well as the Raptor's hood and fenders are made locally.

This is why safety nannies exist and work well. If it it were on GM has some issues.

He probably was like cool let me click the Track mode because I am on the track. No idea what it meant......

I'm reminded of Day's of Thunder where Cole is told to go out and hit the pace car. I'd find it but IIRC the language is NSFW.

Originally Posted By: supton
I'm reminded of Day's of Thunder where Cole is told to go out and hit the pace car. I'd find it but IIRC the language is NSFW.

try the other thread...(racing forum)

FWIW, he isn't new to performance driving: "A lifelong auto enthusiast, Reuss is a certified industry pool test driver on the North Course of the Nürburgring Motorsport Racetrack in Germany, and is licensed for FIA C and IMSA Road Racing. His first car was a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro, which he bought and restored himself."

He's also been the head of their performance division in the past, so I'm sure he is aware of their traction/stability control systems.

I think the real lesson is that these things happen to the best of us. I think a lot of drivers, myself included, get to a point where they feel extremely comfortable on track, that nothing bad is going to happen, etc. Then it does.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
FWIW, he isn't new to performance driving: "A lifelong auto enthusiast, Reuss is a certified industry pool test driver on the North Course of the Nürburgring Motorsport Racetrack in Germany, and is licensed for FIA C and IMSA Road Racing. His first car was a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro, which he bought and restored himself."

He's also been the head of their performance division in the past, so I'm sure he is aware of their traction/stability control systems.

I think the real lesson is that these things happen to the best of us. I think a lot of drivers, myself included, get to a point where they feel extremely comfortable on track, that nothing bad is going to happen, etc. Then it does.

My guess is the certs led to the overconfidence that day and shutting off the system. We all make mistakes in life this one just got captured with world attention.

How fast was the vette going when he crashed it? I mean, right before he lost control.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

LOL, as soon as I saw the pace car incident, I thought of this scene and had to show it to my wife. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think of this.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

My guess is the certs led to the overconfidence that day and shutting off the system. We all make mistakes in life this one just got captured with world attention.

Most definitely. The first thing I do when I get into a car is figure out how to turn off, or at least tune, the nannies. In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't make that an automatic function.

The pace car incident was an amusing distraction, but the race wasn't bad either; better than the first one at least.

Sometimes it's easy to get lulled into complacency, even for race fans, about how much on the edge those guys are from just watching on TV.

Rossi has been phenomenal so far, but his crack under pressure shows he's still young.

Those drivers pushing forty aren't going to step aside for the youngsters and future stars of the series just yet.

And the driver standings now reflect the experience and depth of the Big Three teams.

The pictures of RHR in the fountain are great.

I think the most important take-away from all of this is that was the last IndyCar race that will be on ABC. At one time they had great coverage, but I am so thankful I won't have to listen to Eddie Cheever and Scott Goodyear again.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Throttle lift oversteer. Been there done that...... More throttle!!!!

Yes i thought he steered left too early when he saw the other car in front, then he turned into the skid a bit late and lifted off the gas, weight transfer to the front end and the back is even looser.

He should have kept his line through the turn, then when exiting the turn he could have changed lines to avoid or used brakes to avoid the car in front of him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back