Deteriorating quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
What are you guys talking about?

You can get things for dirt cheap from Costco, Amazon, WalMart, etc.

Stuff you NEVER needed. Straight from China.

Another person that has no clue about the difference between
"durability" and "reliability".

Likely the same type of person that has only ever lived in a disposable consumer economy.

New tech, same old people complaining.
What were you [censored] about again? Your 1960s inefficient stove or something? Your rose lenses sure look nice, though.

Exactly.
People seek out the cheapest junk from china and then btch bc it doesn't last as long.

Bearings are better, Cars are better, "Decent" lawn mowers are better, Motorcycles are better, Refrigerators don't last as long bc idiots don't keep coils clean. My 18 y.o. whirlpool refrige is 3 times as efficient as my 1972 Amana and should last just as long. Kitchen range is lasting like my 72 and no burned out burners. Window AC's twice as efficient, quieter, lighter lasting just as long.

By junk and watch it fall apart just like 1050 japanese products that were terrible.

Wish some of you guys could go back to the "good ol days"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
What are you guys talking about?

You can get things for dirt cheap from Costco, Amazon, WalMart, etc.

Stuff you NEVER needed. Straight from China.

Another person that has no clue about the difference between
"durability" and "reliability".

Likely the same type of person that has only ever lived in a disposable consumer economy.

Ha.
I make my cheap [censored] last b/c I'm a cheap [censored]. I'll clean/oil a box fan to keep it going vs someone who'd just trash/donate it. I hate disposable cups/mugs/bottles - just a waste for people too lazy to plan ahead. I hate waste/inefficiency. If it were not more efficient to produce cheap [censored], then we'd be paying more for longer lasting items. I'm still on my first laptop, bought 8+ years ago (can't even remember when), and bought for dirt cheap.

Know whats really durable?

Gold.

wink.gif

Exactly... Most people are getting what they ask for.
They are addicted to cheap [censored] because they live too big and buy beyond their budget.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its greed at every level including the consumer. Everyone want multiple TV's, cars with every option, every DIY want a tool box with everything a pro has, the list goes on and on.
Its the old wanting Champagne on a beer budget deal and the Chicoms are more than ready to give people something that looks like Champagne and sort of smells and taste like it on the cheap.
Sooner or later the swill becomes real Champagne in people mind.

I think that a big part of this is that many people confuse price and value and they aren't the same thing.
You can buy the cheapest possible motor oil, or you can buy something with a much better add pack and probably better basestock blend for little more.
In the case of sparkling wines, you can buy some cheap swill or you can pay a little more for a nice Spanish Cava.
Sitting in the back of an airplane on a long trip may be cheap, but for not that much more, you can sit in biz, get decent food and great cabin service to go along with the comfort of a larger seat with more room around it as well as a generous free baggage allowance.
As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Or, as another old saying puts it, there is no free lunch.
You buy cheap you get cheap.

Purchased a lot of ACDelco parts for my SUV recently and they all say made in China. Still has the ACDelco price tag hoping it still has the quality.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: grampi
It used to be that IHOP had excellent food.

You lost me right here.

Sorry, I happen to like my IHOP. And the old cry of it just ain't made good anymore has been the cry for as long as I can remember. I can remember my Mother complaining about the junk coming over from Japan in the late 50's.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: grampi
It used to be that IHOP had excellent food.

You lost me right here.

Sorry, I happen to like my IHOP. And the old cry of it just ain't made good anymore has been the cry for as long as I can remember. I can remember my Mother complaining about the junk coming over from Japan in the late 50's.

I regularly eat at an IHOP in State College Pa. and one in Lancaster. Their pancakes are very very good and service is great.
They have a couple of "Origional Waffle Shops" in State College that everyone raves about. I prefer IHOP.

Most unhappy people complain a lot

I love dominos or costco pizza. If I'm eating unheathy, I make sure its at least cheap. IHOP, (or Denny's or anything like that) ironically, isn't that cheap.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I can remember my Mother complaining about the junk coming over from Japan in the late 50's.

Mom was right, most of the products coming from Japan in the 50s
were just that....junk!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Quality costs. The CEO pay package is ruining everything we buy.

They come in, "clear out the dead wood" and coast on past reps. Over and over. Their vision is completely different than "We'll grow our brand and sell it at retirement age" which is basically the first half of the life of a business. Look at Jobs, Gates, Lucas "selling out" while their brands are on top. Good on them.

I read somewhere, maybe here, about a guy who started small town banks with free checking accounts, ran them a few years, then sold out to Bank of America or whomever once he got a loyal customer base. Then he repeated the act over again.
wink.gif

I can give an example of a top of the line premium product that went from the best of the best,to the absolute worst the second it got bought out from a huge corporation. Nexxus shampoo. Back when it was owned by Jheri Redding,it was made of all natural ingredients. Soap bark,rosemary,honey,coconut,etc. An amazing product I've been using since my teens. Fast forward to a few years ago and the company gets bought out by Unilever. Ingredients are changed to cheap sulfates and chemicals you can't begin to pronounce. BUT,the price is now higher!

I love dominos or costco pizza. If I'm eating unheathy, I make sure its at least cheap. IHOP, (or Denny's or anything like that) ironically, isn't that cheap.

Try Domino's Brooklyn style pizza with light tomato sauce. Its soooo delicious.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nexxus shampoo. Back when it was owned by Jheri Redding,it was made of all natural ingredients. Soap bark,rosemary,honey,coconut,etc. An amazing product I've been using since my teens. Fast forward to a few years ago and the company gets bought out by Unilever. Ingredients are changed to cheap sulfates and chemicals you can't begin to pronounce. BUT,the price is now higher!

Unilever is like a cancerous tumor. They take first rate products they are healthy and destroy them, but keep using the brand name to maintain sales to those that are unaware of the changes. What they did to Nexxus is the same thing they did to Breyers.

There were real metal controls on autos once upon a time,,they were chrome,,,,but,,,the world has turned to plastic this and thats now and yes, the good ole days of real metal and decent engineering is a lost art, IMHO> to be continued''''''''''but I am out of plastic,lol.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
There were real metal controls on autos once upon a time,,they were chrome,,,,but,,,the world has turned to plastic this and thats now and yes, the good ole days of real metal and decent engineering is a lost art, IMHO> to be continued''''''''''but I am out of plastic,lol.

The reason they went to lighter materials on vehicles is mileage, and safety..not rocket science.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back