Dealership management are hypocrites! Hilarious .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hank55

He got 30 yrs?? Excessive no?
Henry

You can check his record. Mr. Crystal has been charged and convicted for multiple frauds and domestic violence for the last 15 years in Georgia and Florida.

I think most dealership require either a bank check or a wire when paying cash. I also do rentals and I always either insist on a bank check/money order or cash if I'm handing keys over in less than a week. If it's over two weeks, I'll take a check.

I have written multiple personal checks over the years for CASH new car purchases, always in the evening. (WE have to work during the days). Sometimes I didn't even have a check-and I signed a contract stating I would bring the cash within 48 hours. The only guarantee the dealership had was the trade I left. It was usually less than 50% of the deal.

They would run my credit report however.

Last edited:
Driven 12 days and it takes a $22k hit on depreciation?
That's the price of a car.

They're not as stupid as criticism would make it seem. In high dollar transactions with wealthy people, it's all too common for them to be conducted with little scrutiny. (Of course, this guy only appeared to be that.)

Creating and maintaining a lucrative relationship with a wealthy client is all about making things as convenient for them as possible. Many range from mercurial to outright delusional.

The Telecheck system is meaningless. It simply uses arbitrary factors to determine the likelihood the check is good. It can still be no good.

His biggest mistake was going for a car over $100k. If it were just under, he'd only have gotten a very low grade felony. Don't know why he did it. He had to know he wouldn't get away with it.

I just find it hilarious that an industry (dealerships) that make a living out of ripping their customers off, scamming, and lying, are so "frustrated" that they were scammed...I'm no fan of crooks but there is something satisfying about having the scammers
scammed for a change. Karma is a biotch.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Driven 12 days and it takes a $22k hit on depreciation?
That's the price of a car.

I guess it lost it's uniquesmell.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I just find it hilarious that an industry (dealerships) that make a living out of ripping their customers off, scamming, and lying, are so "frustrated" that they were scammed...I'm no fan of crooks but there is something satisfying about having the scammers
scammed for a change. Karma is a biotch.

I have yet to make a purchase with a dealership that makes a living "ripping off their customers". I can't speak for the east coast where you live, but around here they're decent folks, selling a product and making a living like the rest of us. I think it speaks more to you when you get giddy over the idea of a criminal committing a crime.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I think most dealership require either a bank check or a wire when paying cash. I also do rentals and I always either insist on a bank check/money order or cash if I'm handing keys over in less than a week. If it's over two weeks, I'll take a check.

I just purchased a new (to us) vehicle from a dealership a couple of weeks ago. I wrote a personal check for the full amount, and I've written a personal check for vehicle purchases at dealerships for the last 30+ years without an issue. The dealership that I dealt with this time didn't know me-it's out of my local area-but they had no issues taking a personal check.

Most dealer profit income on cars is made from after-market products (plus financing and assorted warranties) all done in the financing office (after softening-up by sales).
...and the market for those products are often people with low/bad credit who look for the protection of such warranties...
Whether they're getting ripped off depends on their financing options (and financial "literacy"..i.e. knowledge of such options)....too many have too few to none.

Last edited:
The dealer is lucky that car wasn't put on a container out of the country within the first 24 hours.

This guy is just a con artist but this is how high end cars are stolen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The dealer is lucky that car wasn't put on a container out of the country within the first 24 hours.

This guy is just a con artist but this is how high end cars are stolen.

Yes, and the luxury car companies like Porsche, Mercedes and the others have serious penalties for dealers that don't do "due diligence" when it comes to such matters.

I don't see why the manufacture would care. Its simply a theft and the dealers have insurance for it.

The dealer owns the car.

Originally Posted By: hank55

He got 30 yrs?? Excessive no?
Henry

Check fraud is a serious crime which is why they still take personal checks. But the dealer in this case should have held the car to the next day and the bank could be called to confirm the check.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I just purchased a new (to us) vehicle from a dealership a couple of weeks ago. I wrote a personal check for the full amount, and I've written a personal check for vehicle purchases at dealerships for the last 30+ years without an issue. The dealership that I dealt with this time didn't know me-it's out of my local area-but they had no issues taking a personal check.

When we just bought our new Odyssey, we literally showed up in bathing suits and had nothing. Because the deal hit us by surprise, we had nothing but driver's licenses and a credit card.

The dealer was more than willing to let us leave with the car on a personal check for the price. We didn't have one and it was 5pm on Saturday, 60 miles from home, so they let me charge the car on my cc for a big chunk (my cc limit isn't that high).

There was no problem with a personal check had we had one.

I've paid for several cars in full at dealers in SoCal with a personal check. They run a credit report and the contract defaults to a loan (on their terms) if the check bounces.

I see now. This idiot was dumb enough to take them to trial. I wonder what retarded argument was made in his defense?

If he would have taken a deal, he might not have gotten so much time, but the charge of Grand Theft Over $100,000 is far more serious than the issuing of an utter and worthless check. Should have gone for a base Panamera or something. Least he wouldn't have that stinger in his butt.

The odd thing is they usually don't toss in the grand theft charge if the car is returned undamaged in a reasonable period of time. Perhaps that was their argument. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back