Wrongly Blamed at Work for a Mistake?

This almost happened to me at the tire shop, some kid brought in a mitsubishi eclipse (?) that had the 2.0 dodge neon motor. He brought his own oil filter for the Mitsu motor that took 20mm, while the Neon took 3/4-16. I noticed the baseplate looked odd and substituted the correct (Fram) unit. Nobody said thank you, LOL.

When we had paper oil filter catalogues I saw a footnote to check certain cars by slipping an open end wrench over the filter boss as a go/ no-go gauge.

This 20-3/4 mixup is just one possiblity. People jam 3/8-24 brake line nuts into m10 female fittings. Incredibly these seem to hold brake fluid pressure!

This 20-3/4 mixup is just one possiblity. People jam 3/8-24 brake line nuts into m10 female fittings. Incredibly these seem to hold brake fluid pressure!
3/8 is about halfway between 9 and 10 mm.

24 TPI is a hair over 1.0 mm metric thread spacing.

I could see this almost working, but it makes me cringe

When I was a teenager, like 17 I think, my best friend and I both got summer jobs at the estate that neighboured my family's cottage. My mom's cousin was the property manager, so getting the job wasn't difficult. We were responsible for general maintenance and labour around the property, so mowing the lawns, pressure washing the top of the boathouses, weedeating, leaf blowing, transporting stuff around in the golf carts and making sure the boats were operating properly and full of fuel in anticipation of the family and guests coming up. Pretty simply stuff, and definitely not a bad job for a couple of kids out of school for the summer.

Our direct supervisor was a burly little guy, looked a bit like a dwarf from Lord of the Rings, my mom's cousin referred to him as a troll doll.

This guy was an absolute fiend when it came to recreational substance abuse. He had a ziplock baggie with like a full pound of pot in it with him most of the time. Saw a few acid tabs in there too at one point, as he wasn't overly careful when it came to leaving it around (on account of him being stoned out of his gourd I suspect). Now, he had a pretty menial job and had been doing it for decades, so maybe this was his way of breaking up the monotony, I don't know, I didn't ask, I wasn't judging him for it.

So the one day, we had to go take the boats out to get fuelled up and then fuel up the seadoos and take them for a good run (which was good, because one of them seized solid in the middle of the lake, so there was logic at play here, these things were ridden hard and put away wet). My buddy and I, along with another worker, took the seadoos while the the supervisor took the Supra ski boat. We were three-abreast and he's coming up behind us and he cuts across the wake coming off my unit, getting sprayed on the windshield in the process. I think nothing of it at the time.

We get back to the cottage and up to the maintenance building and the supervisor comes up to me using a "jovial serious" voice and says "that was pretty funny you cutting in front of the boat there, but don't do that, OK?". I responded that I was going straight and that he cut behind me. This was easily verifiable, as the three of us riding abreast, the gaps between us never changed. He drops the jovial and now he's just serious, and he tells me that I cut in front of the boat, and to just admit it. I, respond, with no change in tone, that I'm not admitting to something I didn't do. At this point, he simply explodes. He grabs me by the throat, he's beat red, I can see beads of perspiration forming on his boiling brow and smell the acrid, sour odour of old damp pot on his breath, it seems to be wafting from his tiny yellowed teeth as well as flowing up from deep within him, and he screams in my face "when I'm giving you sh**, just take the sh**!". Then he storms off.

I'm gobsmacked, standing there with my mouth agape, unsure as to what just happened. My buddy, 4x Golden Gloves champion, feeling like he needs to say something to break the silence, says "I was going to knock him out, but I wasn't sure of the implications..." I was glad he didn't, but simultaneously would have loved to have seen it.

He didn't lose his job over this, surprisingly. He was disciplined, and looked at me with a look of a dog that knows it was bad for the rest of the summer.

Standing up for yourself is always a good idea. Only deadbeats and power hungry little tyrants don’t understand it and don’t respect it. Deep down they probably do respect or at least have a reserve to the people that stood up to them, but they won’t admit or show it, because they think it’s a sign of weakness. Which goes back to them not understanding how it works, hence their tyrannical tendencies.

When I was a teenager, like 17 I think, my best friend and I both got summer jobs at the estate that neighboured my family's cottage. My mom's cousin was the property manager, so getting the job wasn't difficult. We were responsible for general maintenance and labour around the property, so mowing the lawns, pressure washing the top of the boathouses, weedeating, leaf blowing, transporting stuff around in the golf carts and making sure the boats were operating properly and full of fuel in anticipation of the family and guests coming up. Pretty simply stuff, and definitely not a bad job for a couple of kids out of school for the summer.

Our direct supervisor was a burly little guy, looked a bit like a dwarf from Lord of the Rings, my mom's cousin referred to him as a troll doll.

This guy was an absolute fiend when it came to recreational substance abuse. He had a ziplock baggie with like a full pound of pot in it with him most of the time. Saw a few acid tabs in there too at one point, as he wasn't overly careful when it came to leaving it around (on account of him being stoned out of his gourd I suspect). Now, he had a pretty menial job and had been doing it for decades, so maybe this was his way of breaking up the monotony, I don't know, I didn't ask, I wasn't judging him for it.

So the one day, we had to go take the boats out to get fuelled up and then fuel up the seadoos and take them for a good run (which was good, because one of them seized solid in the middle of the lake, so there was logic at play here, these things were ridden hard and put away wet). My buddy and I, along with another worker, took the seadoos while the the supervisor took the Supra ski boat. We were three-abreast and he's coming up behind us and he cuts across the wake coming off my unit, getting sprayed on the windshield in the process. I think nothing of it at the time.

We get back to the cottage and up to the maintenance building and the supervisor comes up to me using a "jovial serious" voice and says "that was pretty funny you cutting in front of the boat there, but don't do that, OK?". I responded that I was going straight and that he cut behind me. This was easily verifiable, as the three of us riding abreast, the gaps between us never changed. He drops the jovial and now he's just serious, and he tells me that I cut in front of the boat, and to just admit it. I, respond, with no change in tone, that I'm not admitting to something I didn't do. At this point, he simply explodes. He grabs me by the throat, he's beat red, I can see beads of perspiration forming on his boiling brow and smell the acrid, sour odour of old damp pot on his breath, it seems to be wafting from his tiny yellowed teeth as well as flowing up from deep within him, and he screams in my face "when I'm giving you sh**, just take the sh**!". Then he storms off.

I'm gobsmacked, standing there with my mouth agape, unsure as to what just happened. My buddy, 4x Golden Gloves champion, feeling like he needs to say something to break the silence, says "I was going to knock him out, but I wasn't sure of the implications..." I was glad he didn't, but simultaneously would have loved to have seen it.

He didn't lose his job over this, surprisingly. He was disciplined, and looked at me with a look of a dog that knows it was bad for the rest of the summer.

"Touch me again and see how long all that pot and acid gets you in jail."

I was working in a supermarket while I was in high school. Apparently some guy was shopping with his good looking wife and some produce clerks were looking at her.

Husband complained to store manager and I got in trouble.

Wow, somebody can hold a grudge for a while.
You should meet my dad.
He has a grudge with one of his brothers that happened back in the 1970s (long before I was born).
The funny thing is, the dispute was a trivial matter where nothing of any importance occured as a result of the situation.

Wow, somebody can hold a grudge for a while.
My old boss held grudges pretty much forever. There were a couple guys who made various mistakes years ago that cost us money and he (the boss) punished them for the whole remainder of his career. One of the guys was always eager for Saturday work (because it is OT) and the boss told him no each and every week. Even when we were super busy! He'd double up the workload on the few guys that actually were working on Saturday just to keep the OT away from the guy he was trying to punish.

I’ve got another one, though this one isn’t a “wrongly blamed” situation… more of a learning experience for my foreman.

I was still in high school, summer break between junior and senior year where I got a job in a machine shop as a laborer/apprentice. We always parked the 2 flat bed trucks (big ones) in the building at night, and it became my job to move them out in the morning so we could work. Well, being 17 almost 18 and never have even seen a manual before I obviously didn’t know how drive them beyond “clutch in, shift, ease off clutch” but never having actually done it.

Took a couple times but eventually I got the hang of it, and even got good at stopping with the air brake equipped truck. At one point a few months later my boss asked me to back the air brake truck up the big hill and into the building so we could load it. I’ve never backed this truck up, let alone moved it while on the hill. Well…. This truck didn’t have hill hold assist, the second you released the brake it’d start moving on this hill, and the truck was almost as wide as the area I had to back it into…

After a few failed attempts and realizing this is my last shot before the truck rolls into the dumpster in front of it I fire it back up, clutch in, hit brakes, release parking brake, rev this poor international diesel to 2,500rpm, release the brake and simultaneously dump the clutch while giving it more gas. I ROCKET up this hill backwards tires spinning, somehow miss the building entirely, but almost take out the millwright table and both the welding tables (which were these like 12” thick by 96” long by 48” wide solid steel tables) with opposite corners of the truck. Missed the back by only 4”.

I was no longer allowed to back the truck in after that, in my foreman’s words “you made me spill my coffee and drop my cigarette. You’re grounded.”

This happened decades ago, but it sticks in my mind.
I was fresh out of automotive tech school and was working in a shop that did mechanic work and oil changes. This happened back in the day when most vehicles took five quarts of oil for an oil change. It didn't matter if it was a four cylinder or a V8, you were pretty safe putting five quarts in a vehicle when performing an oil change. At this shop, there was a five quart container for people that got their oil changed with bulk oil. You filled the five quart container from a 55 gallon drum and poured it in the engine. Usually, you were good to go. There was one guy who did almost all of the oil changes, but he wasn't available at the time. So I guess it was my turn. The vehicle that needed the oil change was probably a late 70s Ford 3/4 ton pickup with the 300 cubic inch 6 cylinder. So I did the oil change, added 7 quarts of oil (because that brought it to "FULL" on the dipstick), figured the bill, turned it in and the customer paid it and went on his way.
About an hour later, he came back and he was FURIOUS! He was telling my boss that I obviously stole two quarts of oil for my own use because all the previous oil changes only took five quarts. Obviously, according to him, I took those two extra quarts for my own use.
So here's the real story: The guy who previously done all the oil changes on this big 6 had added 5 quarts of oil each and every time. He never looked at the dipstick after adding five quarts of oil and the owner never checked the dipstick between oil changes. The customer had always been charged for only 5 quarts of oil. So when I added 5 quarts and looked at the dipstick, I added two more to bring it up to full on the dipstick. The dipstick was never inspected by the lube guy who had done all the previous oil changes.
I had a hard time explaining that to the boss. My boss never said anything to the guy who had always done the previous oil changes. To save face, my boss never told anything to the customer and I suppose he believed I was a thief to his deathbed.
It really was a no-win situation and I realized that I couldn't stay there too long.

One time I remember in a mining camp where I was working for a contractor doing renovations of the living quarters on a two week in/two week out rotation. Turns out I was blamed for a misorder of personal lockers. 1/ I was surprised at the level of pettiness displayed by my cross shift- I figure if your going to lie, make it worth your while. 2/ I had a back up of my cancelled order, super just looked at it and said nothing. I didn't last in the job and I believe he got fired for stealing.....anyway I've found out more than once , emails are gold.

Same place I was accused of sexual harassment by some random chic- mental illness comes in all forms, I asked her what I did to make her complain- said I made her feel 'uncomfortable'.....she was some admin that I saw once a week accross a desk when I asked for engineering drawings- I made sure from them on I dealt by email only. THAT was a life lesson in dealing with females.

I’m not a mechanic or tech person, I’m working in administration 26 years, so this a sport to blame you for some other mistake( sometimes for several times daily).
The lesson is to forgive and forget.

I just saw this thread. Not directly blamed, but.....

One time I had a program manager call me at 7PM and just yelling like a mad man for a good while.........there was some kind of rocket engine failure in test, and while not blaming me, he expected me to come in, right then and there and start digging the data, records, etc to find a root cause.

I told him usually root cause investigations are not a one man show. I asked him if others are in the plant now. Is there a launch tonight or very soon? Is the customer waiting? Well no on all three. I said I will be in at 4:30AM and start setting it up. Which I did.

Of course he rolls in at 9AM.

I guess others had somewhat similar encounters with this hot head in the past, my failure here was not previously knowing his personality type.

Back