Dealership 90K service and the loss of a customer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it makes you feel any better. Dodge requires differential oil changes every 15000 miles to maintain your warranty with 75w90 synthetic (only) to boot.
How is that for overkill??

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
wow so is that the going rate these days at the dealer? $150?

That is already their discounted labor rate for maintenance items. I believe their normal labor rate for real work is $180/hr.

Granted I know the cost of living is a LOT different here in Kentucky, but I don't think I've seen a dealer go much over $100/hr or so.

Most good independents are in the $70-90 range.

Cost of living is much higher in the Bay Area. Also all shops like that have union technicians. My shop isn't union, but all techs have to be paid at least double minimum wage for every hour they are clocked in regardless of work performed. So that is around $22-23/hr I think times 15 techs.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
This is the “very extra” work that was performed:

That brake fluid parts cost is ridiculous, too. I can't fault them for wanting to do the service, but even at dealership prices, that's a bit much for fluid.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
If it makes you feel any better. Dodge requires differential oil changes every 15000 miles to maintain your warranty with 75w90 synthetic (only) to boot.

Do you have a reference for that because I simply do not believe that. That cannot be true from the manufacturer. Dealership may push that but it is NOT required to do 15,000 mile diff changes to maintain your warranty.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Didn't Ford used to offer a "Full Service" prepaid option?

You paid a big fee up front then just dropped the car off for maintenance for ever.

I bet they caught heck from even the most docile customers when something broke and required money to fix.

BTW, it wasn't unlimited. You simply paid in advance for recommended service intervals.

What was that Ford pre-paid maintenance thing called?

"Extended Maintenance Plan" I looked into it, but it didn't make much sense unless you were the kind of guy who went through a lot of brake pads. This was in 2012. I got the impression that they had recently sharply raised the price.

The dealer wasn't bad with the BMW, but I guess that's not the norm.

I like the Ford Quicklane service. No nonsense. Reasonable prices. In and out.

I guess people who aren't paying close attention misinterpret "dealer recommended service to mean "manufacturer recommended service"

Last edited:
It's a luxury car brand, and it's a dealership. Yes, you're going to pay more for service done there...

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Do you have a reference for that because I simply do not believe that. That cannot be true from the manufacturer. Dealership may push that but it is NOT required to do 15,000 mile diff changes to maintain your warranty.

Yep, my 05 Liberty specs the same thing in the manual. I'll post a pi8c if you have to see it to believe it, but it's true. Whether they actually care if you do, probably depends on the dealer but it's for sure in the manual. I do mine every 20-30k with dino 85w140.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

Yep, my 05 Liberty specs the same thing in the manual. I'll post a pi8c if you have to see it to believe it, but it's true. Whether they actually care if you do, probably depends on the dealer but it's for sure in the manual. I do mine every 20-30k with dino 85w140.

Wow, I looked it up and you are correctit's actually every 20k miles - that's just crazy! I've had several Jeeps and never that small interval. Wonder why? Seems like diffs are the one part many people never change and they go on forever with minimal maintenance. Me personally, I do all my diffs at 50k intervals and transmissions and transfer cases at 30k miles.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

Wow, I looked it up and you are correctit's actually every 20k miles - that's just crazy! I've had several Jeeps and never that small interval. Wonder why? Seems like diffs are the one part many people never change and they go on forever with minimal maintenance. Me personally, I do all my diffs at 50k intervals and transmissions and transfer cases at 30k miles.

Thanks for sharing!

They must have changed it, my Jeep manual doesn't mention differential service, just transfer case at 120k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back