Dealership 90K service and the loss of a customer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last company I worked for we would take our company trucks in for a 100,000 mile service.
They were Fords and we would come out with $1500+ bill. They would change every fluid, spark plugs and filters on the truck even though it ran fine when we took it in. It was just company policy.
I once had a coil pack go bad and the garage told me that You need to replace all eight because when one goes bad it causes the other seven to work harder. I said like when one light switch breaks in my house the others have to work harder. Just replace the one.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: The Critic
This is the “very extra” work that was performed:
- Battery Service (terminal cleaning and protectant product)
- Interior Deodorizer
- Added Limited Slip Additive to Rear Diff
- Added Cooling System Cleaner and Coolant Additive
- Added Engine Flush Product
- Added Engine Oil Additive
- Added Fuel Additive….twice!
- Performed either a Throttle Body Cleaning or an Induction Service (BG 206 product), not sure which.

I would be ok with the battery service and a throttle body service. Prob skip the Induction service since it looks a bit complicated esp the BG one. Is there any way to spot check some of the things they did to make sure they were actually done? Like the battery service for example.

Not sure if you saw the above or not? Thanks.

The battery terminals should have some type of protectant on them and washers. The interior probably has a weird chemical smell. Your guess is as good as mine for the remainder of the items.

Crazy. I havent spent that much on all work combined on my 2007. I find it hard to believe someone would spend 1600$ in one sitting. Friend of mine regularly gets 500-1000$ bills on every semi annual at his GM dealer. Time to find a good indy (guessing you).

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Last company I worked for we would take our company trucks in for a 100,000 mile service.
They were Fords and we would come out with $1500+ bill. They would change every fluid, spark plugs and filters on the truck even though it ran fine when we took it in. It was just company policy.
I once had a coil pack go bad and the garage told me that You need to replace all eight because when one goes bad it causes the other seven to work harder. I said like when one light switch breaks in my house the others have to work harder. Just replace the one.

Maybe pre-paid service packs are the way to go. That way you just tell them to do whatever the service package covers.

They could not have hosed you any better if they hit you over the head in the dark and took your wallet, that's beyond outrageous. I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to get a grands worth of retribution, you are not the only one for sure.

My Lexus dealer tried to finance a 20k service of $700+ dollars that was a glorified oil change. Literally looking (aka inspect/ tug on) stuff while the car was on a lift. Took me an additional 3 minutes to save 690 dollars, and I used a synthetic vs dino that came with the service, so I came out ahead.
The only thing the dealer sees my car for is complementary stuff, recalls, and anything the insurance is paying for.

they charge for a washer wiper top off? this guy got bent over almost everywhere.

90k service should have been, an oil and filter change. F that other [censored]. Nothing else needed in my experience. Diff fluid change on a street vehicle, for something? yea, no thanks

$42.38 for the Techron and the intake cleaner. So they used two separate products or just snuck that line item in?

Gal at my work had a Lexus. The dealer always sold her on the "super premium service" that was ripe with silly upgrades that were solving problems she never had.

What I think it helps do is sell maintenance contracts on the next vehicle the person buys.
Aren't those popular now, especially with lease deals on luxury cars?

Didn't Ford used to offer a "Full Service" prepaid option?

You paid a big fee up front then just dropped the car off for maintenance for ever.

I bet they caught heck from even the most docile customers when something broke and required money to fix.

What was that Ford pre-paid maintenance thing called?

Originally Posted By: Kira

You paid a big fee up front then just dropped the car off for maintenance for ever.

I wouldn't trust that unless I watched them actually do the maintenance.

If they thought this one was expensive, wait until the 100k service.
lol.gif

My shop stays busy just because of stuff like this. I've seen it all when new customers come with the 'dealer says I need all this list". I explain what is needed and what's not. Then what is needed I can usually do for 1/2 the cost.

That is a lot of snake oil. We have MOC at my work and I hate even touching the stuff. I was acutally going to re-label the bins as "snake oil ATF stuff" and "snake oil diff junk" one day when I was bored to watch the snake oil peddler have a meltdown.

This is what makes me avoid dealerships. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to have a mechanic who knows the car well to do legitimate services and use the correct fluids, OEM parts, etc., but it's additives and [censored] money grab "services" that always steer me away from these places. I prefer DIY or a reputable indy mechanic to perform the services I request.

Sadly though, 90% of the time the dealerships get away with this stuff. My grandparents have been bringing each of their vehicles into the dealerships over 20 years and pay for every service the dealership could sell them.

The charge for the washer fluid top off is flat out laughable. Jiffy lube and virtually every quick lube tops this off for free. That $20 crush washers must be made of silver too. I'm actually surprised they didn't add a "tire air pressure adjustment" fee.

I realize dealerships are businesses and need to make a profit, but you can truly save incredible amounts of money if you research DIY on Youtube. An $80 cabin air filter change on many cars literally takes 2 minutes to do with a $12 filter. At the very least, if you take your vehicle to the dealership just educate yourself enough to know what is legitimate and what is added fluff. Also, beware of the dealership recommending services earlier than what the owners manual says.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
I'm actually surprised they didn't add a "tire air pressure adjustment" fee.

They declined the premium nitrogen gas tire service.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
wow so is that the going rate these days at the dealer? $150?

That is already their discounted labor rate for maintenance items. I believe their normal labor rate for real work is $180/hr.

Granted I know the cost of living is a LOT different here in Kentucky, but I don't think I've seen a dealer go much over $100/hr or so.

Most good independents are in the $70-90 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back