INEOS Grenadier, or how Land Rover screwed up!

My BIL has a serious vehicle fetish. I suspect it won't be long before he has his Grenadier. I'll check it out when he gets it, but I doubt he'll keep it any longer than he has any other vehicle (a couple years at most) in the last 25 years.

I cannot see how these will succeed in the US market at that price given the low volume, small service network, etc., and by price, I am surprised it isn't higher given the cost of compliance, certification, other costs of market entry amortized over the low volume. Also, IIRC one of the reasons LR discontinued the old 90/110/Defender body design was the inability to retrofit airbags, curious as to how Ineos does it.
A few years ago Congress did pass the "small manufacturer exemption act" or such that allowed leeway for small independent automotive manufacturers to sell but not have to meet the strenuous and expensive compliance rules. The only caveat is that they can't manufacture more than X number of vehicles per year.

A few years ago Congress did pass the "small manufacturer exemption act" or such that allowed leeway for small independent automotive manufacturers to sell but not have to meet the strenuous and expensive compliance rules. The only caveat is that they can't manufacture more than X number of vehicles per year.
Did that apply to airbags though? My Lotus had the non-conforming bumper and other exemptions safety warning stickers, but I thought some form of supplemental restraints were still required. I'll have to read up on it. Thanks.

Did that apply to airbags though? My Lotus had the non-conforming bumper and other exemptions safety warning stickers, but I thought some form of supplemental restraints were still required. I'll have to read up on it. Thanks.
Low volume vehicle manufacturers act of 2015

Just saw my first INEOS. That thing is MUCH bigger than I thought it is. I thought it's closer in size to a 4Runner, but it makes the Nissan Armada look average or smaller than average... A freaking Tundra, the behemoth of the Toyota land, looks small next to Grenadier... A Honda Civic Type R roofline is below the bottom of some windows of Grenadier. Sorry, didn't have much chance to take better pics, but they get the point across. It honestly looks amazing in person.
1000017056.jpg

1000017055.jpg

1000017057.jpg

New Ineos dealer just opened across from my dental surgeon...I will be there tomorrow so I may stop by. Of course, I will probably have to explain that I'm not drooling on the cars because I like them :D

So this vehicle is apparently a THING! I heard something about it, that there is an old Defender alike in the making, but I did not follow the story.
Well, the thing is here, and I can only say: WOW!

It looks like an old Defender, it has an analog interior, it has old-style key. Detuned BMW B58 engine paired with ZF8. Even in this thing, BMW pushed the engine back, which means it will be balanced properly even on the road, although it is not its main purpose.
Low range, center locker, rear locker, and front locker. It is boxy, it looks excellent, it has an astonishing engine under the hood with the best and most reliable transmission available. The ONLY downside is, well, the price! The base model goes for $71,000. But, it is REALLY base. Another issue is that the BMW B57 diesel engine is not available in the US. But, I really, REALLY like this thing. I mean, it even has Recaro seats.

Supposedly a 6-speed manual transmission is an option or so they said early on. If I had the cash and they offered it with a manual transmission I'd be ordering asap.

After a long fight, and lots of disappointment, a neighbor had his Rivian lemon-lawed and bought back. He tried a Ford Lightning as a replacement. It failed during the test drive, and had to be towed.

He's had a plug-in Hybrid Rav4 for about a month now. So far so good.
Maybe a bad one or teething pains. The three folks I know who have Rivian absolutely love the vehicle. I believe as a brand they have the highest satisfaction rate by a good margin.

Your neighbor sounds like the coach in movie of dodgeball dying because a luck of Irish sign fell on him.

I was behind one on the highway yesterday. Pretty cool looking, old school Defender vibe. Perfect alternative for the moms who also use 4 runners to the mall and home.

Back