Dealer oil change: What did they fill with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought our 2014 Toyota Tacoma and it came with 2 years of free service including oil/filter changes every 5,000 miles or 6 months. The invoice would just say bulk 5W-30 oil and the Toyota OEM filter.

If you wanted name brand conventional or synthetic blend or full synthetic, you'll have to pay through the nose. Conventional name brand either PYB or M1 was $60 plus filter. M1 or PP is $100 plus oil filter.

I couldn't wait till it ended and have PP 5W-30 and OEM filter in it now. Next change would either be PP or M1 5W-30 oil and OEM filter.

Last edited:
My dealer in Virginia uses 0-20 bulk full syn, I always handed them Fram XG back during my 3 "free" chevy oil changes, now days I run Penz plat 0-20 and amsoil bypass and fram xg for full flow. (changed myself)

Last edited:
Valvoline mineral SAE 15W-40,
in a 4 litre 6 cylinder turbo petrol engine
Standard service interval 15,000 km
How's that for cheap?
To my knowledge, it does meet the factory spec, though.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
They did the first one in April and will do the second one this coming January. It's too da*m cold to change the oil in January in my driveway.

It always catches my eye when I read statements like this. We deal with the exact opposite. January is the best month to do an oil change in SE TX. March through November, you can get scorched on the driveway concrete. Change early in the morning, or toss some card board down to lay on.

I am not kidding. In the TX heat you can fry an egg on solid surfaces.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
They did the first one in April and will do the second one this coming January. It's too da*m cold to change the oil in January in my driveway.

It always catches my eye when I read statements like this. We deal with the exact opposite. January is the best month to do an oil change in SE TX. March through November, you can get scorched on the driveway concrete. Change early in the morning, or toss some card board down to lay on.

With my age and with my Lyme's disease I would welcome the heat
grin.gif
. We hopefully are able to move out of NJ in the next 2 years. The taxes and the climate are killers for us. We're looking at the west coast of FL, been visiting there for over 15 years. I'd love to move to Texas but my wife is not on board with that sorry to say.

Whimsey

2nd on this one! You can literally get blister-worthy burns from laying on the concrete here on a hot summer's day.

Originally Posted By: BoganBox
Valvoline mineral SAE 15W-40,
in a 4 litre 6 cylinder turbo petrol engine
Standard service interval 15,000 km

Yes to us in Australia the standard dealer bulk is usually something like a mineral 15W40 (SN and A3/B3) or a semi-synthetic 10W40 (SN and A3/B4 - higher TBN). That stuff goes into everything.

For our friends in North America is more likely to be a mineral 5W30 that is SN and GF-5.

But things are changing in Oz and a Dexos 5W30 is becoming more common. I now regularly see Shell Helix Ultra 0W20 on the shelves in my local auto store.

I was fueling up at a small garage across town the other day. The mechanic had two bays / hoists and being a small place their bulk oil was all in 20L drums on the shop bench. They had three full synthetic Castrol oils ( Edge or Magnatec SP) with the choices being
- Edge 5W30 A3/B4 (SL - high zinc, A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01) high SAPS and high TBN.
- Magnatec 5W40 (SN, ACEA C3, Dexos2)
- 5W30 low SAPS C3 that was VW 504 / 507 (Edge or Magnatec, can't recall which)

All very good, full synthetic Castrol oils. Not an ILSAC oil in sight. Not a mineral oil in sight. Small standalone converted house that you could easily see into and around. Had a small VW on one hoist and a large Toyota LandCruiser on the other. Both very new looking.

grin.gif
. We hopefully are able to move out of NJ in the next 2 years. The taxes and the climate are killers for us. We're looking at the west coast of FL, been visiting there for over 15 years. I'd love to move to Texas but my wife is not on board with that sorry to say.

Whimsey

I really like the Fl panhandle. Pensacola is a great spot. You would be very susceptible to hurricanes, though. Why don't your wife like TX?

Went 10k on 0w20 TGMO from the dealer. Low Iron wear, I did top off with a half quart of Mobil HM oil. So a typo on Blackstone's part.

Camrys can have a bad start up grind, just lasts a second. I did notice a used Camry at the Chevy dealer that just had an oil change at the dealer the day before. What ever oil they used in it the start up grind was hardly noticeable. Forgot to mention that earlier.

The Ford QuickLane here use Motorcraft oil. Firestone used to use Kendall and now uses Quaker State which I verified by looking at the drums it comes out of. Walmart TLE using Quaker State for their pit crew oil change for $18. You would think they would use Supertech but it kind of looks/sounds better by using QS for their customers. Most of all the Toyota dealers here use TGMO. Bulk oil can be fine, although leary of generic bulk oil. I wouldn't use that.

Honda dealers here seem to use the flavor of the month oil. Not a fan of that.

grin.gif

Whimsey

I really like the Fl panhandle. Pensacola is a great spot. You would be very susceptible to hurricanes, though. Why don't your wife like TX?

My wife lived in Punta Gorda FL for a number of years and grew to love the area a lot, thats why we visit there so often. Through work in the past I was in the Dallas area a lot and enjoyed it greatly. I have a sister, who I love dearly, that's lived in Austin for around 40 years now. But I don't consider Austin part of Texas
lol.gif
, more like Moscow on the Colorado, though nicer
grin2.gif

Whimsey

I have a sister, who I love dearly, that's lived in Austin for around 40 years now. But I don't consider Austin part of Texas
lol.gif

Whimsey

You are right. Austin is like a chunk of San Francisco planted in Central TX.

I have heard it explained by a commentator on television that Texas is like a big bowl of tomato soup and Austin is the blueberry right in the middle.

My friend works in a local Chevy service dept. GM has apparently issued a bulletin to use 0W-20 in all vehicles previously using 5W-20. This dealer stocks AC Delco semi synthetic 0W-20 and that's what they use on all vehicles that would normally take 0W or 5W-20 - including the free changes. Full synthetic is extra and they use Mobil 1 for that.

Ask for the part number for the oil they use and google it. Write down the person's name and the date you called. If it doesn't match what you get on your service receipt I would say something. All of my vehicles have been dealer serviced and the dealership stated they use the 5w-30 semi Dexos for the warranty stuff and if you come in and pay that they are using the full syn dexos gen 2. AC-Delco brand for both instances. They said it is really to use up the old drum prior to refilling their main bulk drum with the full syn.

I have a sister, who I love dearly, that's lived in Austin for around 40 years now. But I don't consider Austin part of Texas
lol.gif

Whimsey

You are right. Austin is like a chunk of San Francisco planted in Central TX.

And even including that naughty place the Yellow Rose (if it's still there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back