De-Sludge Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Car Talk guys said some people fill the crankcase we with diesel to try and desludge an engine. While they said it trashed all the engines they tried it on but others have said it worked.

I have heard Diesel, kerosene and ATF works well too. But, I think the prudent approach would be to do it in phases rather than one strong shock treatment. I personally used Seafoam (just half a can) which worked but it could have gone other ways too if the thick sludge actually got circulated inside the engine clogging up the oil channels inside. I just got lucky and drove the vehicle for 5k miles after and had no issues, before I sold it.

I watch "Eric the Car Guy" and find his videos very good. He talks about flush and you will. find one of his vidoes under "Should you flush your engine?" Watch if you are curious and interested. He shows a filter inside a engine that had me thinking about my experience....

But people use it in all kind of ways and seems to work. But remember, for the ones where this procedure didn't work, people hardly post about it. They won't document the failure of a vehicle on the internet that they probably ended up selling anyways.
A short chain hydrocarbon is going to act more like a solvent so yes that can help. But not ATF, that’s pretty much like an oil without the additives in this instance. That’s an old wives tale.

The best thing is to use a product that is designed for this purpose, assuming you need to do it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back