Dang it!! Help! Rounded Off A Bolt Head On Water Pump Pulley!!

That area is kinda tight on R18's. Best bet is to remove the lower mount and maybe the RF axle and see if you can raise the engine enough to get a damage bolt removal socket on there?

Also beware of the belt tensioner bolt.

That area is kinda tight on R18's. Best bet is to remove the lower mount and maybe the RF axle and see if you can raise the engine enough to get a damage bolt removal socket on there?

"Belt tensioner bolt" The 8mm Hex head pivot bolt?

"Belt tensioner bolt" The 8mm Hex head pivot
That's my next issue id probably run into. All I have is a 16" breaker bar with a 3/8 , 8mm hex head. Id probably end up needing a really strong impact?

"Belt tensioner bolt" The 8mm Hex head pivot

That's my next issue id probably run into. All I have is a 16" breaker bar with a 3/8 , 8mm hex head. Id probably end up needing a really strong impact?
Depth of your 8mm hex socket may be an issue. IIRC I use an extra stubby 8mm on those.

They’re tight, but not outrageous. 16” should be enough if you aren’t in an area with a lot of corrosion.

Do those bolts have loctite on them? If yes, you might want to hit them with a propane torch first.
No.

I had a 240sx that I was fortunate enough to take to super high mileage at the expense of replacing the water pump multiple times, or at least having to remove the pulley to do other work (radiators, belts, PS pumps, whatever). The pump pulley was held on by four bolts, and the last bolt would always be a problem child. I found, after having done this three or four times already, that the solution to be that once I broke the first three loose, go back and retighten them. Not fully torqued, just snug or moderately tight. Then the fourth bolt would then break loose as easily as the first three. The first few times I removed the pulley without doing this, that last bolt was always a stubborn nightmare. You might have the same thing going on here.

I would try that, and in conjunction with rocket sockets or any of the similar type extractor sockets, that last one should come right off. If not, destroy the pulley. Finding a 2008 Civic in a junkyard for a replacement pulley should be fairly easy. At least where I live it would be.

Put the belt back on. Vice grips is the answer here while the belt tension holds things in place. Good luck.

Is this used with a ratchet? there's no clearance to use a rachet with a socket on the pulley that I'm having the issue with. that's why all i had was a cheap/decent wrench from Amazon.
That bolt is just nicked, not totally ruined yet.

Put a 6 point socket on it, looks like it will fit, and then use vise grips on the socket. Should come right off.

I don't have a picture,but vise grip makes a tool that grips on three sides,it will get it done.Maybe some body else can help me find a picture

20240104_090142.jpg

I don't have enough clearance to use a rachet or socket on this pulley or I would of just used a socket to remove or say loosen the nub without stripping the head. Im going to give it a shot with some vice grips tomorrow.
All right, full stop, what did you use to round it off?

A shallow 6 point socket and ratchet or (little) cheater bar is what you should be using.

I suspect you don't have the tools for this job, and are setting up for a bigger headache.

This would 100% fit and not round off anything that didn't have it coming:
IMG_20240104_111419436.jpg

Last edited:
Back