Dang it!! Help! Rounded Off A Bolt Head On Water Pump Pulley!!

So it's a bolt holding a pulley to the water pump "nub"? Why are you removing it? Changing the water pump? Cut off the old one to save the pulley.

Do you have a Pic 2 show us what you are dealing with?

IMG_20240103_174950355.jpg

I don't know if the pic is well enough but 2 of the bolts are fully loose the one closest to me is pretty well rounded off.

I have had great luck using these types of bolt extractors. If a person has the clearance, a good locking pliers can also work in a pinch.

I have also used a Sacrificial socket that is just a bit undersized and hammered it onto a rounded bolt.

Good luck.

If I don't have a pair of vice grips on hand would a pair of needle nose pliers work? , even if it meant completely ruining the bolt and just replacing it after? or would a better recommendation or cheaper recommendation alternative just to get a pair of vice grips?

If I don't have a pair of vice grips on hand would a pair of needle nose pliers work? , even if it meant completely ruining the bolt and just replacing it after? or would a better recommendation or cheaper recommendation alternative just to get a pair of vice grips?
If a wrench did'nt remove it, needle nose has 0 chance. I'd use a rocket socket type remover , before you chew it up with a vise grip.

What were you using to loosen it, when you rounded it off ?

Doubt needle nose will work, unless you have the hand strength of andre the giant. A sacrificial socket might be your best option as stated above and bang it on, probably with the pump off and on the bench. But yea, everyone needs a good pair of vice grips. They've gotten me out of more jams than anything.

Back