[cut open] TG 4386 20,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening BITOG friends
smile.gif

This fram tough guard was on my camry for 20,000 miles. First 2 5k oci's were VWB 10W30/40 AND VWB 5W30 old jug style. 3rd oci was QSUD 10W30 clearance from AAP. 4th oci was M1 10w40HM clearance Autozone. Changed oil today and put PP 5W30 and TG 4967 in and on. Filter had 6 neodymium magnets on dome end as well. Enjoy the pics. Date code is A70893 also.

20180905_172603.jpg

20180905_172827.jpg

20180905_172847.jpg

20180905_173210.jpg

20180905_173350.jpg

20180905_173055.jpg

I took tons of pics also but since we can only load 6 if anyone wants more pics pm me.and I'll gladly email you some. 141,020 miles on car also. Filter onstalled last September if I'm recalling it correct. I do 90% highway driving with very little stop and go. Filter saw the brutal winter and lots of -12F starts at Treasure Lake during christmas time.

It takes balls for the OP to go 20K miles on a Fram Toughguard filter, even though it is only rated for 10K miles.
For peace of mind, I would use a Fram Ultra filter rated for 20K and it only costs a couple dollars more.

We have some people changing the filter but not the oil, and others change the oil but not the filter.

Yes, I do have balls
smile.gif

I honestly have 0 problems going 20k on a clean engine. I had no issues at all with this filter while it was in service. I may run a TG 8316 after a 5k run with the PP. if I used a ULTRA; I'd push it to 30-35k

Originally Posted by wdn
We have some people changing the filter but not the oil, and others change the oil but not the filter.

Yeah, and I will send a UOA in for the 10k run on M1 10w40 HM oil. It was in for 10k, as the QSUD was a typo. I'll send my UOA sample in soon
smile.gif

Last edited:
Great. I ran an Ultra out to 24k over three oci's.
That said, a TG. I wouldn't. I'd be nervous at 10k
I have a tg on a mower now and I'm taking it off at 100 hrs.

But many thanks for the cp. And I have no issues with you doing so.
I'm with camry. The tg isn't a value filter. The ultra is.
Thanks!

Man, I guess everyone hates the Tough Guard
smile.gif
LOL!

I have more good experience with tough guards so I dunno. They work is what I know. Way better than some filter that starts with P and ends with a R

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
smile.gif
LOL!

I have more good experience with tough guards so I dunno. They work is what I know. Way better than some filter that starts with P and ends with a R

Actually tg's i purchased had better qc than the ultras. They were beautifully made but just a bit weak construction wise. That said my cars are new, normally aspirated and easy on oil and filters. If it works....

smile.gif
LOL!

Not me I just got one off my Toyota Corolla. Only 5000 mile but yes it looked great and really very clean. A UOA on this OCI is going to be interesting Adam.

I want to see the UOA myself also.
smile.gif

Did you add on an ISO particle count?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I want to see the UOA myself also.
smile.gif

Did you add on an ISO particle count?

A particle count would be very helpful. I think it is $10-15 more.

It was in a '09 Camry with 140K+ miles. I think at that point, any major particulate levels would be way down and as long as the oils are quality (they were) then the filter really isn't under much stress.

I personally would have used a filter with wire-backed media, but OP seems to know what to do and had great results.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
It was in a '09 Camry with 140K+ miles. I think at that point, any major particulate levels would be way down and as long as the oils are quality (they were) then the filter really isn't under much stress.

Depends on how much blow-by is getting past the rings, and how much debris that gets past the air filter also gets past the rings during combustion. Particulate comes from places than just metal-to-metal wear.

20,000 miles on a TG is impressive but probably only feasible because of the 90% highway driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back