[cut open] TG 4386 20,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for cutting it open! Still running my RP oversize since february. Pretty sure I'm gonna leave it in for a year or 12k at least

20k on any decent filter in a reasonably maintained non-abused engine shouldn't surprise anybody. I've done about 90% of that many times without any disasters.

Stude, if you soak out most of the oil, and look carefully into the pleats with a magnifier, what can you see caught in there?

Seam side looks like a soaked paper bag that is ready to fall apart.

I

Originally Posted by BigD1
Seam side looks like a soaked paper bag that is ready to fall apart.

Perhaps, but unlike some filters shown on here it did not.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I want to see the UOA myself also.
smile.gif

Did you add on an ISO particle count?

Adam knows how to count to five.
whistle.gif

Very impressive, more reasons to love the TG! It's my favorite filter as well, but cannot find it locally anymore since TSC stopped carrying them and replaced with Tearolators! I bought a bunch on clearance for 69 cents a piece but only have one left. Might consider running the orange can now that they've got a silicon ADBV and I can get them easily, or Napa Gold.

Gang: im not too interested in particle count. Over the 10k oci; i added roughly 3/4 quart total. Not too bad i say.

I pulled media apart and didnt see much except dark oil in pleats. Even in daylight, didn't see debris on can also. Put same 6 neodymium magnets back on the tg 4967

Originally Posted by THafeez
thanks for cutting it open! Still running my RP oversize since february. Pretty sure I'm gonna leave it in for a year or 12k at least

I have 2 TG 8316 courtesy of Rural King and 2 ULTRA XG 3600'S to use as well sometime
smile.gif

I pulled media apart and didnt see much except dark oil in pleats. Even in daylight, didn't see debris on can also. ...
Thanks for checking! That's not surprising. All I could see in the filter that went over 18k in my Toyota was tiny black ("carbon") particles. Of course, there might've been a couple of microscopic particles I couldn't see. Now running a TG10358, and may take it farther.

Yeah, it was black oil but not like HDEO oil. Think I'll stick with PP 5w30 for a bit to see if it helps with the sticking rings that affect the 2AZ-FE engine. Poor design I feel but at 141k car has been great to drive
smile.gif

Adam, you can always use a Kreen soak to make sure the rings are free.... 1oz in each cylinder through the spark plug holes and let it sit overnight.

I still have a package to send your way... might be a fun project to use several of these lower-dollar filters on 5K OCI with C&Ps. You certainly put on some miles!

Yeah, I put on 220 miles per week. And 453 miles each trip to NC.

I recall trav or other member saying Rotella or PP clean well so we shall see with PP 5w30
smile.gif

I'm having withdrawals SubieRubyRoo as haven't got your package of goodies yet
smile.gif

Gang: im not too interested in particle count.

FYI ... a regular UOA won't tell anything about how the oil filter performed. The "insolubles" number is useless.

I understand this ZeeOSix. I didn't see grit or remnants of the LiquiMoly I used before the oci's with the tough guard filter
smile.gif

Yeah, it was black oil but not like HDEO oil. ...
I'm not sure whether that was in response to my comment about seeing tiny black particles in my filter that went ~18.4k miles. Anyway, that's not the same thing; my oil was much LESS black than oil from any of my previous cars would've been after half the mileage. I'd guess the particles were roughly 60 microns across, i.e., big enough to see without a microscope, but barely big enough not to sneak right through that allegedly inefficient genuine Toyota filter.

The filter looks pretty good wild man...

You are right about how cold it got up your way last winter. Even in my area it got down to -7°F just west of me in New Kent county. My location got to 0°F.

Hope you are doing good Captain. Always appreciate your work on here.

Originally Posted by CR94
Yeah, it was black oil but not like HDEO oil. ...
I'm not sure whether that was in response to my comment about seeing tiny black particles in my filter that went ~18.4k miles. Anyway, that's not the same thing; my oil was much LESS black than oil from any of my previous cars would've been after half the mileage. I'd guess the particles were roughly 60 microns across, i.e., big enough to see without a microscope, but barely big enough not to sneak right through that allegedly inefficient genuine Toyota filter.

I meant the oil was not dirty just real dark and no partocles, metal or carbon, etc in filter

Originally Posted by bbhero
The filter looks pretty good wild man...

You are right about how cold it got up your way last winter. Even in my area it got down to -7°F just west of me in New Kent county. My location got to 0°F.

Hope you are doing good Captain. Always appreciate your work on here.

Yeah, i was amazed that even with 10w40 HM M1 i didnt have any problems or valvetrain noise. Im convinced a 2az fe could run on any grade oil as they probably do in Australia and elsewhere.

Maybe I'll use the couple jugs of Formula Shell in another car and try the Rotella someday.

That's good that it did really good in the -12°F cold weather. That verifies the cold weather performance is right on with that 10w40.

Yeah man I agree with you that the rotella or shell would be good to try in there.
My lady's Camry has straight 30 grade Warren oil in there right now. Doing pretty all right on that. I'm going back to Motorcraft 5w30 in her car after fall and into winter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back