[Cut Open] Motorcraft FL-820S - 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was on my 2005 F-350 with the 3V 5.4 for 5000 miles. Media is a little wavy at the seam, but otherwise looks good. No tears. ADBV in good condition and was still holding a lot of oil in the filter. The O-ring stuck to the engine which I've never had happen with a MC filter before, but not a huge deal there. It was replaced with another FL-820S with the same date code. I have several with the same code, because these were essentially free as an add-on to get $40 off a $100 purchase from AAP.

Great filter. I used them for a few years in my 04 150 same engine. I've cut at least 6 of them and never all were robust. Longest I went was IIR 6500 with MC 5-20 oil.

Looks good!

Out of curiosity... OP, what did you use to cut this one open? I have an 820s sitting on my toolbox right as of yesterday because I didn't have anything big enough to cut it open. I will do so once I get something bigger.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
Looks good!

Out of curiosity... OP, what did you use to cut this one open? I have an 820s sitting on my toolbox right as of yesterday because I didn't have anything big enough to cut it open. I will do so once I get something bigger.

I just use my angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut right along the top side of the seam.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I just use my angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut right along the top side of the seam.

Thanks for the info!

This is great to see. Thanks for sharing it, KD0AXS. I just bought a used Taurus and have only changed the oil once so far, but simply plan to keep on using this exact filter (as specified by Ford).

Nice to see no tears, even though that one pleat looks like you jammed your thumb in it.

I'm not accusing you of that of course, just saying it looks like the spacing is very wide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back