[Cut Open] AC Delco PF63E - 5195 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Not sure I'd base my choice of still using products that are known to fail because there's not any proof that it caused an engine failure. This is the same argument the Purolator fanboyz keep using after seeing 80+ instances of torn filters posted in this forum. Would you keep using ammo that fails a lot but doesn't seem to "blow-up" your gun?

The 2 loudest sounds ever:

Click when you wanted boom
Boom when you wanted click

Yeah, I had that happen once while still in the ARMY. It's NOT a good feeling.

This Champ made ecore sold by Delco looks much better than any Fram EG I have ever seen. Ford says as of 01/17 the filters are better tested and they show why in great detail. Any torn MC made after that date?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
This Champ made ecore sold by Delco looks much better than any Fram EG I have ever seen. Ford says as of 01/17 the filters are better tested and they show why in great detail. Any torn MC made after that date?
Reference for the "Ford says better" thing?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Reference for the "Ford says better" thing?

It was a thread, you can search for Ford video. I referenced it again in a thread. If you see it, will you then believe it? They even circled the date on the filter can. Not enough evidence?

I’ve never had a bad Motorcraft for this one. This one isn’t holed - the goofy looking pleat was glued that way.

It did o.k., it just doesn’t look super doing it.

UOA appears to be lost.
21.gif

goodtimes, I think the name of the Ford video you can't remember is USCAR-36. They do say they just started using it as of Jan. 2017. Could be it was a response to Purolator failures, years late!

goodtimes, I think the name of the Ford video you can't remember is USCAR-36. They do say they just started using it as of Jan. 2017. Could be it was a response to Purolator failures, years late!

Passing a test spec is one thing ... manufacturing QA to keep making a good product during massive production is another thing.

They don't USCAR-36 test every filter coming off the production line. Motorcraft probably ran the USCAR-36 testing on a few pre-production filters to "qualify" them before giving the green light for full production, then let the production start. Who knows what kind of QA and sample testing they do during production. If they were smart they would pull some from production every so often and test them, but that's expensive stuff.

that's the one. It doesn't mean they won't tear, but to me it is a reset button and means they are aware of something. This thread is about a Delco filter so I hesitate to talk more. To me it's interesting the Ford video guys are they same guys using the same equipment as the Fram filter testing video. I had been under the impression it was a Fram lab.

Maybe it is a Fram lab and they do side work for others who want to pay to run tests. Or else it's an independent lab that also does Fram work. Maybe it's the Bat Cave.
grin2.gif

OUCH...
My Grandpa worked for GM in the RD / research and Development for 23 years. If he was still alive and saw this he would not like it.. Also he was never liked Fram Extra Gaurd even 20 years ago.

I have been told to stay away from any Delco filter that ends witha E.. like PF47 is okay but PF47E.. The E stands for somthing

Also remember when GM went bankrupt and had to get a huge loan from the government.. They had to figure a way to cut costs any place the could.

Originally Posted By: David1
I have been told to stay away from any Delco filter that ends witha E.. like PF47 is okay but PF47E.. The E stands for somthing.

E stands for "Ecore", which is the nylon center tube and fiber end cap design.

OUCH...
My Grandpa worked for GM in the RD / research and Development for 23 years. If he was still alive and saw this he would not like it.. Also he was never liked Fram Extra Gaurd even 20 years ago.

I have been told to stay away from any Delco filter that ends witha E.. like PF47 is okay but PF47E.. The E stands for somthing

GM buys filters from Champ Labs and others. They don't make any oil filters. Mine is made in Austria, PF65, by Mahle. It's more a matter of a Champ sales team convincing GM engineers and bean counters on the benefits of their filter more than anything. If one reads Champ's discourse on the ecore filter, you would tend to think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think they are good filters too, just have been getting wide pleat syndrome lately.

I agree with your Grandpa on the Extra Guard.

OUCH...My Grandpa worked for GM in the RD / research and Development for 23 years. If he was still alive and saw this he would not like it.. Also he was never liked Fram Extra Gaurd even 20 years ago. I have been told to stay away from any Delco filter that ends witha E.. like PF47 is okay but PF47E.. The E stands for somthing
As long as the filter held together, didn't get any holes in it, its good. No holes. Fiber end caps held on to the media OK.
Used oil filters don't have to win any beauty contests.
That said, the huge gaps in the E-Core style cage design CAN develop huge holes.
For example, the picture below is one from only 3,200 miles, a PF53E from an '02 Saturn. (They never found the missing piece of filter media. It's on milk cartons across America though....):
2010_03_06_OF%20024%20%28Large%29.jpg

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1806202&page=1

OUCH...My Grandpa worked for GM in the RD / research and Development for 23 years. If he was still alive and saw this he would not like it.. Also he was never liked Fram Extra Gaurd even 20 years ago. I have been told to stay away from any Delco filter that ends witha E.. like PF47 is okay but PF47E.. The E stands for somthing
As long as the filter held together, didn't get any holes in it, its good. No holes. Fiber end caps held on to the media OK.
That said, the huge gaps in the E-Core style cage design CAN develop huge holes.
For example, the picture below is one from only 3,200 miles, a PF53E from an '02 Saturn. (They never found the missing piece of filter media. It's on milk cartons across America though....):

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1806202&page=1

In defense of the ecore design, they have made the gaps in the center cage smaller to prevent blowouts.

banana2.gif
That is someone else's picture from 8 years ago. If were Fram it would be fine, only a one time glitch. Buy more.

Very funny, but you know they changed the cage, and still put the old one up anyway. That's "fake news."
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back